Forums / Community / Halo Universe

The Halo Story, and Where You Can Find It

OP GrimBrother One

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
One of my favorite things about helping monitor this particular corner of the forums is the wealth of awesome community members who adore the Halo story in all its different forms and fashions. Sometimes though, for new fans coming in it can be pretty daunting, as the Halo story has woven in and out of many different mediums, from games to comics to novels to live-action and CG film. And hey, even veterans of the tale don't mind being reminded of a great comic or short story they might have forgotten about.

What follows is a current list of nearly all the ways you can access and discover pieces of the Halo story and its wealth of characters, settings, and events. I hope this helps any new fans who might want to find a new area to explore, and maybe help old fans remember that book they wanted to reread. If you feel like there should be something added, just let me know, and we'll keep this as up-to-date and accurate as possible. Listings are in more-or-less chronological order by story timeline, not by publish date.

*note, while most if not all of the proceeding list consists of materials directly recognized by 343 Industries as canon story sources, it should not be taken as a direct statement or recognition of such by 343. This is more of a "from one die hard fan to another" labor of love. Any and all sources should be taken with the appropriate seasoning. Enjoy!

Much love,
Grim

GAMES:
Halo Wars (+ Spirit of Fire Black Boxes)
Halo: Reach (+ Data Pads, + Reach Radio Transmissions)
Halo: Combat Evolved (PC version includes exclusive map locations)
Halo: Anniversary (+ Anniversary Terminals)
Halo 2 (PC version includes exclusive map locations)
Halo: ODST (+ Sadie's Story Audio Logs)
Halo 3 (+ H3 Terminal story)
Halo: Spartan Assault
Halo 4 (+ Domain Terminals)
Halo: Spartan Ops (included with Halo 4)

BOOKS:
Halo: Cryptum
Halo: Primordium
Halo: Silentium
Halo: Contact Harvest
Halo: The Cole Protocol
Halo: The Fall of Reach
(+ ancillary materials in 2010 reissue)
Halo: The Flood (+ ancillary materials in 2010 reissue)
Halo: First Strike (+ ancillary materials in 2010 reissue)
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
Halo: Glasslands
Halo: The Thursday War
Halo: Evolutions
(short-story anthology)
-Evolutions mass-market trade paperback is split into Volumes I & II; includes exclusive extras
The Halo Encyclopedia
Halo: The Essential Visual Guide
Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide

COMICS:
The Halo Graphic Novel
Halo Wars: Genesis
Halsey's Journal
Halo: Uprising
Halo: Helljumper
Halo: Bloodline
Halo: The Fall of Reach - Boot Camp
Halo: The Fall of Reach - Covenant
Halo: The Fall of Reach - Invasion
Halo: Initiation
Halo: Escalation

FILM/ANIMATION/CG:
Halo: Rebirth (audio epilogue to Halo: Silentium)
Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn
Halo: Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian (Motion Comic)
Halo: The Mona Lisa (Motion Comic)
Halo: Headhunters (Motion Comic)
Halo: The Return (Motion Comic)
Halo: Legends
Halo: Infinity
(cinematic companion piece to Halo: Spartan Ops)

MARKETING/ANCILLARY/ARG:
Halo: Waypoint (console, web, and mobile versions)
Halo: Reach ONI Data Drops (A)
Halo: Birth of a Spartan (M)
Halo: Deliver Hope (M)
Halo: Remember Reach (M)
Halo: Conversations From the Universe (A)
Halo: I Love Bees (ARG)
Halo: We Are ODST (M)
Halo: Another Day at the Beach (A)
Halo: Bestiarum (A) (Physical copy with H3 CE; Expanded Digital copy with H3 LE)
Halo: Iris (ARG)
Halo: Landfall (M)
Halo: Starry Night (M)
Halo: Believe (M)
Halo 4 Priority Transmissions (A)
Halo: The Commissioning (M)
Halo: Scanned (M)
Forza Motorsport 4: Autovista - UNSC M-12 FAV Warthog (A)
Various Official Guides, LE materials, game manuals, collectibles, and art books (A)
My God. This is awesome :D
Should be sticky.

I have to read all the comics one day. For now, I have only the novels.
Forgot conversations of the universe included with halo 2 limited.
Updated to specifically denote the inclusion of Halo: Conversations From the Universe.

Mysterio 116, I actually had originally just considered that part of the "Game Manuals, etc" section, but with you bringing it up again, I went ahead and added it in proper. Appreciate the prodding and reminder! :-)

Grim
Also updated to include the upcoming Halo 4: The Essential Visual Guide.

Pre-order link here.

Grim
Quote:

Pre-order link here.

Grim
lol

I pre-ordered that one 2 hours ago.

Still need the Halo Wars LE version though
Quote:
Quote:

Pre-order link here.

Grim
lol

I pre-ordered that one 2 hours ago.

Still need the Halo Wars LE version though
Check out ebay. There are a ton on there right now that you can bid or buy right away. Most are around $40, so it's a pretty good deal.
No lie, I found a pre-owned copy at GS with all the extra bits included for $17 usd not long ago. I already had it so I picked it up for GrimBrother IV since he didn't have it yet. You never know what you might find! :-)

Grim One
Halo PC and Halo 2 Vista both had maps and some extras that don't occur in other versions of the games.

The Halo 2 Limited Edition also came with a Covenant-oriented game manual that differs slightly in perspective from the UNSC-oriented manual from the standard game.

There's the Bestiarum from the Halo 3 Limited Edition.

There's also the book Halo: Overture, but that's VERY hard to come by.

If Evolutions is split into parts I and II it would include extras not in the single volume.
I'm actually glad you reminded me of the I & II volumes of the MMTPB version of Evolution. I had meant to put that in there as its own entry and will do so. And I DEFINITELY meant to put in the Bestiarum.

In regards to Overture, I certainly know about it, and it's one of the pieces I actually do not own unfortunately. How much is in there that might not be found anywhere else, out of curiosity?

Grim
Overture doesn't have a lot that you can't find elsewhere. It's not heavy on Halo Universe info, though there is some. It talks about Halo as a franchise mostly but the reason it's significant for me is it's one of the few places that has the company designations for the Halo Reach Spartans, like Carter as S-A259 rather than just S-259. I used Overture as a source to get 343i to include the company designations into the Essential Visual Guide. :P

You don't need to include it, but for the few of us that have it, it's a resource nonetheless.
Noted, and appreciated! :-)

Also, updated to denote a few more of the aforementioned version distinctions.

EDIT: Updated to include Waypoint itself (duh).

Grim
I am attempting to collate and collect all available (and appropriate) Halo canon into a youtube playlist, organized into 'seasons.' (This list only includes materials that would not violate the Copyright act, if it is not usable under the Fair Use clause I cannot use it).

As it stands now:

Season 1: Halo CE
Season 2: Halo 2
Season 3: Halo 3
Season 4: Halo 3 ODST
Season 5: Halo Wars
Season 6: Halo Reach
Season 7: Halo Forward Unto Dawn
Season 8: Halo 4
Season 9: Spartan Ops
Season 10: Halo: Spartan Assault (coming soon)
Season 11: Live Action Halo TV series (coming in the future)
Season 12: Halo 5 ('Halo on Xbox One' -- Coming in the future)

If you have any additions that won't get me a Cease and Desist letter from Microsoft (and are canonical), link me to the youtube videos so I can add them!

Halo Chronicles: The Complete Halo Series in Watchable Form
Who is excited about the Halo TV show?!?
There was also the Bungie site in 2004 for Halo 2 that was entirely done in the Covenant language. It had some information that could be culled from that, including the political geography of Earth in 2552. Not all countries or territories were the same as today.
Quote:
There was also the Bungie site in 2004 for Halo 2 that was entirely done in the Covenant language. It had some information that could be culled from that, including the political geography of Earth in 2552. Not all countries or territories were the same as today.
Oh I heard of that, there's a Halopedia page on that. Shame there's not a full transcript. Would of been useful if some information from that survived
All I saved from it is the Earth maps:
Earth - 2552
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3