The next Master Chief

OP EvilKeny28

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Some people believe that Master Chief will die in Halo 6
Others believe he will live on.
However 343 has stated that they know Chief's story will finish. Mean that (sadly) were will be an end to the Master Chief whether it be by dying, going MIA, retiring etc....

My question is: Who will take Master Chief's place as the protagonist of the Halo series?

There are already some potential candidates such as:
-Spartan Locke
-Spartan Jerome

Its possible that originally 343 wanted Locke to become the next Chief. But after Halo 5, with so many fans despising Locke, this seems less of a likely scenario. There is still time for Locke's character to develop into one worthy of being the successor (after all Arbiter was initially hated by fans back during the Halo 2 days but it now a fan favorite), but I think he is the least likely to become the next main protagonist.

The Spartan 2 Jerome has a very good chance of becoming the next "Master Chief". He is a Spartan 2. He is badass. He feels very similar to Master Chief. And he has his own discount Cortana. So this is pretty conclusive right? Well.... maybe not. Artistically it doesn't make sense to make the new character to identical to your first. Firstly because its redundant (might as well keep this first character). Second because its boring. Third because fans will keep comparing the new protagonist to the older one making it hard for the newbie to stand out. Another reason is that Jerome is not from a mainline Halo game. He comes from the RTS Halo Wars which is less well known and has a considerably lower player base than the main titles. That said, he is still (imo) a better contender for the throne than Locke (at least for now).

The last candidate that I think would work is....... a brand new character.
This would allow fans to have a more or less unbiased opinion on the new protagonist and would make the next halo chapter (post Chief) have a fresh start by using a new face that old and new fans can project themselves into and/or cheer on. (This is of course assume they are well written)
I simply feel that post Chief Halo will be very different to what we play today. And a good way to introduce this new era would be with a new protagonist.

What do you all think?
Do you agree with my analysis?
Do you have other suggestions?
Or do you think Halo will die with Master Chief?
I think that 343 should start off with a new Character. It could be a spartan 2 but i think they should make a story about a spartan 3 head hunter though. If not that then maybe even another ODST.
I think that 343 should start off with a new Character. It could be a spartan 2 but i think they should make a story about a spartan 3 head hunter thugh. If not that then maybe even another ODST.
After playing Halo Wars 2, I feel that Jerome will be the next Master Chief.
The Halo Universe is vast and although we all love the Chief, he isn't what holds it together and I hope 343i recognizes that. In fact, I would argue he's holding the lore back. The last thing the Halo Universe needs is an ageing SPARTAN with a malfunctioning AI.
You don't replace Master Chief. Future games will have their own protagonists, but designating any of them as the "next Master Chief" will almost certainly doom them to the fans' hatred.
ex: Locke is a decent character, but most of the hatred he's gotten is because he was presented as a replacement for Master Chief. Palmer was intended to fill the role that Sergeant Johnson played, but she didn't have his charisma, so the result was less than favorable.
Ending Master Chief's story could mean a number of things. It might not even mean retiring him as a character, simply his position with the UNSC or Humanity or life, in general, could change into something else entirely. But regardless of wherever he as a character ends up, I hope and get the feeling, that we won't see any real kind of carbon copy characters proceeding him.
I feel like any future games set in the future of the canon won't have Master Chief'esque characters at all and we'll see a new more human perspective.
Of course, that's just my opinion -and hope.
The trend of flashy, distinctive, 'cool' looking spartans won't be going away anytime soon. It doesn't matter if the Halo community doesn't like Locke, because that is probably who we are going to get. Why else would the second to last Master Chief game have you play primarily as him?
I feel like Locke will canonically be the ‘next cheif’. Characters in the universe will seem him as a similar hero and he would have to deal with the pressure of living up to that (which I reckon would be an interesting story, seeing Locke attempt to live up to someone who he knows he cannot best). Story-wise we will know Locke is not chief, he is irreplaceable even after his inevitable demise.

I hope afterwards, they kinda follow on the franchise in a similar fashion that Star Trek did after TOS where the found a new group of characters which aren’t trying to be the previous group, yet still have strong relations to them. The next protagonist in the franchise needs to be the Picard to our Kirk; both differant but enjoyable characters which interact with their world differently.
I hope they give a female spartan a chance as the main character.
Tbh, when I first saw the poster for Halo 5 I thought Locke was a woman because his armor was smaller and more sleek compared to John's bulky suit. I was really excited about the possibilities (also because I didn't know that John was going to have a smaller role) and thought she and John were going to be the main characters like John and Arbiter were in 2 and 3.

I am kind of done with the whole Hyper-lethal vector thing though. When they replace John (if they replace John) I want her to be a heroic, noble hero capable of great feats because of her sense of duty and strength of will. Kind of how John was originally portrayed before Bungie started throwing around the idea of John being some super-uber Spartan that excelled in every single one of his training and has stats higher than anyone else.
Commander Palmer as next main character.She has good training and is also a good leader.
How about a game of the “origins of the Covenant.” No humans, includes every Covenant weapons and vehicles used in every Halo games, and the main character should be the Arbiters from the past (even the one who betrayed the Prophets). I personally would like to play as an Arbiter who stopped the grunt rebellion, or conquer the Hunters.

Also, it could include a DLC of “The War against Atriox” and “The fisrt encounter with the parasite.”
When they replace John (if they replace John) I want her to be a heroic, noble hero capable of great feats because of her sense of duty and strength of will.
Fortunately, there's a pretty good candidate for that already. :)
Buck
Nah, its more fun having him as an NPC than playing as him.
You get more funny dialogue that way.
Besides I don't find Buck to be protagonist material (imo)
When they replace John (if they replace John) I want her to be a heroic, noble hero capable of great feats because of her sense of duty and strength of will.
Fortunately, there's a pretty good candidate for that already. :)
She would feel very different as a protagonist compared to Chief. She doesn't have the same charisma or presence that made fans love the Chief. The books also portray her to be more undisciplined and not really leader material.
This change could be a good thing, however I doubt 343 would be willing to try something like that. Especially with better candidates around. I just can't picture her being the next big protagonist.
I not saying its possible but its improbable.
As for the next protagonist being a woman, it is possible. But if she wants to stay she will have to be well written and not be a Palmer 2.0
Other than that I have no objections.
How about a game of the “origins of the Covenant.” No humans, includes every Covenant weapons and vehicles used in every Halo games, and the main character should be the Arbiters from the past (even the one who betrayed the Prophets). I personally would like to play as an Arbiter who stopped the grunt rebellion, or conquer the Hunters.

Also, it could include a DLC of “The War against Atriox” and “The fisrt encounter with the parasite.”
That would only work as a side game. Not as the next major instalment.
It would also be a bit hard to include all the arbiters from the past in just one game.
Also I think the fact that there would be no humans would be a turn off more many casual players as they would have trouble projecting themselves on the protagonists. Halo has cemented itself on being a Humanity vs Aliens kind of game. Changing that would be too drastic imo.

As a one-off game is its possible, but I doubt 343 would do something like that.
Commander Palmer as next main character.She has good training and is also a good leader.
Hell no.
I will recognise that Palmer is one of the best Spartan 4s, and her high rank is indicative that she has some level of leadership capability.
However she is not well liked by fans due her belittling attitude towards those around her (especially scientists) as well as being far too prone to emotional fits.
She would be poorly received by fans, and is not protagonist material imo.
LbonB312 wrote:
The trend of flashy, distinctive, 'cool' looking spartans won't be going away anytime soon. It doesn't matter if the Halo community doesn't like Locke, because that is probably who we are going to get. Why else would the second to last Master Chief game have you play primarily as him?
Not necessarily. If the community really hates Locke, then 343 won't use him as it would be a bad investment.
They could use Jerome instead. Or a new Spartan 4.
"Why else would the second to last Master Chief game have you play primarily as him"
-First off, Halo 6 may not be the end of Chief.
-Second, by that logic we should have played as Arbiter after Halo 3. But we didn't.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Hell no.
I will recognise that Palmer is one of the best Spartan 4s, and her high rank is indicative that she has some level of leadership capability.
However she is not well liked by fans due her belittling attitude towards those around her (especially scientists) as well as being far too prone to emotional fits.
She would be poorly received by fans, and is not protagonist material imo.
You make a thread asking people for their opinion and then you are telling us we are all wrong thinking different then you
Instead of trying to make a new Halo icon/poster child for after the Chief’s story ends, 343i should make standalone spinoffs and side stories focusing on different characters (old and new). The mainline Halo games are the story of the Chief. I feel that once chief’s story ends, so too should the main games. Trying to continue he main games with someone who isn’t the Chief just wouldn’t feel right, no matter who took the spotlight.

This probably won’t happen because as long as Halo remains popular, publishers will want to continue the franchise. But for the integrity of the story, the main games should end with the Chief. Breaking Bad didn’t continue without Walt. The main Mass Effect games didn’t continue without Shepard. Instead, what continued those franchises were side stories/spinoffs, and that’s how I think it should be done with Halo.

Also, please don’t multipost. That looks like you’re trying to bump up your forum rank. Instead, quote multiple people in the same post.

Kind of how John was originally portrayed before Bungie started throwing around the idea of John being some super-uber Spartan that excelled in every single one of his training and has stats higher than anyone else.
Actually, John was never stated to be the "best" Spartan. It only seemed like that in the Bungie games because there were never any other Spartans around to compare the Chief to. But the Bungie-era extended universe showed that John was neither the fastest nor strongest Spartan (those titles went to Kelly and Fred, respectively). He wasn't even the highest ranked Spartan-II in the UNSC (Fred was, though technically I guess it was Kurt). In fact, the only stat that Chief had above all other Spartans was his luck stat.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2