The next Master Chief

OP EvilKeny28

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
EvilKeny28 wrote:
LbonB312 wrote:
The trend of flashy, distinctive, 'cool' looking spartans won't be going away anytime soon. It doesn't matter if the Halo community doesn't like Locke, because that is probably who we are going to get. Why else would the second to last Master Chief game have you play primarily as him?
Not necessarily. If the community really hates Locke, then 343 won't use him as it would be a bad investment.
They could use Jerome instead. Or a new Spartan 4.
"Why else would the second to last Master Chief game have you play primarily as him"
-First off, Halo 6 may not be the end of Chief.
-Second, by that logic we should have played as Arbiter after Halo 3. But we didn't.
But 343 themselves said that Halo 6 would be the end of the Chief's story. I know there is a possibility of a future game not Halo 6 where you play as him set in an earlier time in the universe but relying solely on a single character for so long is a relative detriment moving forward when you have a new generation of gamers who never played the old halos.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Commander Palmer as next main character.She has good training and is also a good leader.
Hell no.
I will recognise that Palmer is one of the best Spartan 4s, and her high rank is indicative that she has some level of leadership capability.
However she is not well liked by fans due her belittling attitude towards those around her (especially scientists) as well as being far too prone to emotional fits.
She would be poorly received by fans, and is not protagonist material imo.
You make a thread asking people for their opinion and then you are telling us we are all wrong thinking different then you
Last I checked this is a discussion forum.
What rule states that I cannot criticise/appraise someone's opinion just because I asked for it.
I never specifically said that you were wrong. Only that I disagreed with you. Which we are all allowed to.
I also never said that you were ALL wrong.
I gave my opinion and you gave your opinion, you are free to criticise and/or discuss it with me or others. This is what this forum is for.
I will concede that was abrupt in my previous response and should have been more cordial. For that you have my apologies.
However at the end of the day, we all have opinions. Some are similar and some are different, but that doesn't mean we can't comment on other people's opinions.
I only meant to say that I PERSONALLY doubt that Palmer will be that next protagonist, and then I gave my reasoning for it. You are free to counter my arguments and I won't have any problems with that. Instead I encourage this type of discussion so we all have a better understanding on the subject at hand.

I apologise once more if my previous response offended you in any way as that was not my intent.
Have a nice day :)
LbonB312 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
LbonB312 wrote:
The trend of flashy, distinctive, 'cool' looking spartans won't be going away anytime soon. It doesn't matter if the Halo community doesn't like Locke, because that is probably who we are going to get. Why else would the second to last Master Chief game have you play primarily as him?
Not necessarily. If the community really hates Locke, then 343 won't use him as it would be a bad investment.
They could use Jerome instead. Or a new Spartan 4.
"Why else would the second to last Master Chief game have you play primarily as him"
-First off, Halo 6 may not be the end of Chief.
-Second, by that logic we should have played as Arbiter after Halo 3. But we didn't.
But 343 themselves said that Halo 6 would be the end of the Chief's story. I know there is a possibility of a future game not Halo 6 where you play as him set in an earlier time in the universe but relying solely on a single character for so long is a relative detriment moving forward when you have a new generation of gamers who never played the old halos.
Do you have a source where 343 SPECIFICALLY say that Chief's story ends in Halo 6?
Are you talking about this? : http://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-6-is-undergoing-serious-real-planning-microso/1100-6430903/
"O'Connor wasn't ready to commit to any specifics about Halo 6 or other future games, saying, "If you start making those stepping stones too rigid, then you're not being realistic about the game development process."
But O'Connor, who has worked on the Halo franchise for more than a decade, first at Bungie and now with Microsoft, said the story planning team already has a good idea where Master Chief's story will end.
"We know what’s going to happen in the next game, and we kind of know what's going to happen to the Master Chief ultimately," he explained."
Nowhere in this do they state that Chief's story will end in Halo 6 only that they know how his story will end. Perhaps they will finish Chief off in Halo 7. Who knows?
I am not discounting the possibility that Halo 6 will be the end of Chief. But until it is specifically stated you cannot present this as fact.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Commander Palmer as next main character.She has good training and is also a good leader.
Hell no.
I will recognise that Palmer is one of the best Spartan 4s, and her high rank is indicative that she has some level of leadership capability.
However she is not well liked by fans due her belittling attitude towards those around her (especially scientists) as well as being far too prone to emotional fits.
She would be poorly received by fans, and is not protagonist material imo.
You make a thread asking people for their opinion and then you are telling us we are all wrong thinking different then you
Last I checked this is a discussion forum.
What rule states that I cannot criticise/appraise someone's opinion just because I asked for it.
I never specifically said that you were wrong. Only that I disagreed with you. Which we are all allowed to.
I also never said that you were ALL wrong.
I gave my opinion and you gave your opinion, you are free to criticise and/or discuss it with me or others. This is what this forum is for.
I will concede that was abrupt in my previous response and should have been more cordial. For that you have my apologies.
However at the end of the day, we all have opinions. Some are similar and some are different, but that doesn't mean we can't comment on other people's opinions.
I only meant to say that I PERSONALLY doubt that Palmer will be that next protagonist, and then I gave my reasoning for it. You are free to counter my arguments and I won't have any problems with that. Instead I encourage this type of discussion so we all have a better understanding on the subject at hand.

I apologise once more if my previous response offended you in any way as that was not my intent.
np man you didn't offend me or anything to apologize for.I just saw that you quoted 5 people in a row saying that isn't going to happen what they hope for but you're right we can all state our opinion.So im sorry if i offended you also.
Chimera30 wrote:
Kind of how John was originally portrayed before Bungie started throwing around the idea of John being some super-uber Spartan that excelled in every single one of his training and has stats higher than anyone else.
Actually, John was never stated to be the "best" Spartan. It only seemed like that in the Bungie games because there were never any other Spartans around to compare the Chief to. But the Bungie-era extended universe showed that John was neither the fastest nor strongest Spartan (those titles went to Kelly and Fred, respectively). He wasn't even the highest ranked Spartan-II in the UNSC (Fred was, though technically I guess it was Kurt). In fact, the only stat that Chief had above all other Spartans was his luck stat.
True John was never stated to be the strongest, smartest or fastest Spartan, only the luckiest, which in Dr Halsey's opinion, made him the best.
The novel Fall of Reach shows that other Spartans were than him at specific activities. But just because you are not the best at any one thing does not mean you are average. Chief was never portrayed to have a speciality because the players needed to be able to play Chief the way they wanted. He seems to be a jack of all trades.
I personally believe that Chief is one of the best if not the best Spartan 2 on average.
If John wasn't anything special he never would have been able to acquire so much respect from his fellow Spartans. Kurt is stated to be right next to John when it came to skill. John also came first in the very first training practice and it has been inferred that he came first most of the time (though Chief states that Fred could have come first if he wanted to). He also has been given the rating of Hyper Lethal vector which only Noble 6 has.
I also feel that people often forget about John's other traits. Such as his unyielding determination and burning desire to win no matter the cost. One of the most notable things about him is tremendous charisma. Almost no one dares oppose the Chief and all look to him as if he's larger than life. Marines stand taller in his presence, and all Spartans respect him. His leadership skills focus on thinking outside the box and taking the initiative, which is why so many people follow him as he always seems to know what to do.
Chief also has the greatest feats of any Spartan to date. I'm not saying that some couldn't have done the same. Its just that we'll never know, so we can only speculate.
At the end of the day, Chief is not the best in any one skill but I think he is the best overall Spartan.
That's my 2 cents on the matter :)

As for the thread topic, you bring a very good point. It would be nice if 343 made more spin-off games.
I just feel that its not what their going to do. Spin-off games would not be as popular if they were done continuously as there would be little to no sequels for each game which would disappoint fans if those games were successful. On the other hand if one is successful then 343 will probably continue its story with a sequel and then we would have a new mainline series. I guess we will see.
Since you brought Mass effect up you do know that they made a new game right? Andromeda was to be the start of (probably) a new trilogy. But because of what happened, Mass effect is now on ice. I honestly think Halo will try something similar but whether or not they will succeed is another matter entirely.

PS: Its nice to see the diverse amount of opinions people have on this topic, which makes it all the more exciting to see what 343 has planned.
Throwing in my quick 2 cents on the subject beings I don't think it's been mentioned but . . . It would make no sense at all for another Spartan II to take over the lead of the Halo series as they are all the same age as John. I wouldn't mind them using Locke as the new main character, it's already clear that he isn't trying to "replace" the Master Chief. It will be a sad day when John either dies, retires or whatever they end up doing. Halo has been my favorite series ever since the first game came out and will always be my favorite gaming series. Story wise Halo has done extremely well and I look forward to see where it goes in the future.
Throwing in my quick 2 cents on the subject beings I don't think it's been mentioned but . . . It would make no sense at all for another Spartan II to take over the lead of the Halo series as they are all the same age as John. I wouldn't mind them using Locke as the new main character, it's already clear that he isn't trying to "replace" the Master Chief. It will be a sad day when John either dies, retires or whatever they end up doing. Halo has been my favorite series ever since the first game came out and will always be my favorite gaming series. Story wise Halo has done extremely well and I look forward to see where it goes in the future.
Are you suggesting that another Spartan II wouldn't be a suitable "new Chief" because Spartan IIs are too old? Because Chief's biological age is likely not as old as his chronological age, due to cryosleep. I imagine the same could apply to other Spartan IIs. Hell, Jerome's biologically younger at this point, having spent some of the most time in cryosleep among Spartan IIs. Chronologically, Jerome is 48, but biologically he'll be just over 20.
I think there are plenty of reasons why no one, including a Spartan II like Jerome, would be capable of replacing the Chief, but age isn't one of them.
Chimera30 wrote:
Are you suggesting that another Spartan II wouldn't be a suitable "new Chief" because Spartan IIs are too old? Because Chief's biological age is likely not as old as his chronological age, due to cryosleep. I imagine the same could apply to other Spartan IIs. Hell, Jerome's biologically younger at this point, having spent some of the most time in cryosleep among Spartan IIs. Chronologically, Jerome is 48, but biologically he'll be just over 20.
I think there are plenty of reasons why no one, including a Spartan II like Jerome, would be capable of replacing the Chief, but age isn't one of them.
That was my thought process. I guess I'm not familiar enough with the Halo worlds form of cryosleep and how that effects a persons age. You bring up a very valid point if cryosleep is how you mentioned in the Halo universe.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2