The Problem with 343 Industries' Campaigns

OP Gurantulaa

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12
The Missions are WAY too linear. We don't need a "cinematic" experience, we need an open sandbox for the player to explore. Not to be confused with open world, I mean mission like silent cartographer, The Covenant, and the ark (and much more). These missions had big environments, big fights, and tons of enemies. Everything in halo 5 is a linear mission.

Also, fix the story.... Jeez it's disgraceful to the original 4. (Yes I'm including halo 4)
Halo is known for a rich story and well.... Halo 5 spat on that. Absolute garbage. The player makes no difference on the story. I could make another post just for this.

Back to what I was saying, the missions aren't inventive or innovative in ANY way. Follow the path and kill enemies on the way there. There isn't any exploration or strategy because every fight plays out the same. Albeit, the mission swords of Sanghelious is great, But thats the ONLY mission with anything remarkable.

343:
Plz put more focus on your campaigns and story!
Gameplay is repetitive and boring and to understand the story you have to read tons of books and know a lot of outside material. That's my problem with it.
Gameplay is repetitive and boring and to understand the story you have to read tons of books and know a lot of outside material. That's my problem with it.
Completely agree. The games campaign is disgraceful
I think there should be some very open levels and then some more intimate linear levels as well. If there is a good balance of that, then I will be happy.
Halo 4 I agree but Halo 5 I disagree. Ive just played the swords of sanghelios mission on legendary and its fantastic. The open cavern with three levels is like a playground with different routs, secret areas and a good enemy variety (and an infuriating call back to legendary aim bot jackals). It then transitions to a well done mantis part to brake up the on foot combat that reminded me strongly of Halo 3.
Halo 4 I agree but Halo 5 I disagree. Ive just played the swords of sanghelios mission on legendary and its fantastic. The open cavern with three levels is like a playground with different routs, secret areas and a good enemy variety (and an infuriating call back to legendary aim bot jackals). It then transitions to a well done mantis part to brake up the on foot combat that reminded me strongly of Halo 3.
Yea but that's 1 mission and a part of another..... That's like 10 minutes of gameplay
They should make the campaign like they did Halo 4's and multiplayer like Halo 5's but less competitive focused.
Weird, a lot of people found Halo 4's Campaign to be linear as well. Outside of maybe Requiem and Infinity.

A lot of people had problems with the game design in the Campaign (QTE's on the final boss...), and basically the Didact in general until more information was released about him.
Hahaha open worlds to explore.... what was there to explore in previous Halos? The ark... lots of sand and rocks... exploring done... also 343 does a lot better with in game information about Halo than bungie did. What did bungie ever really explain? They never even spoke of other Spartans in game. You have always have had to go outside the game if you wanted more information. Also Halo started in books to begin with. While the script for H5 wasn't very good and the plot didn't match the build up at all they still mad some great missions and environments for them. Swords of Sanghelios mission is one of the best missions in Halo IMO. The Blue team mission was great as well. Visiting a forerunner planet was great. H5 had some good content in its campaign imo.
LethalQ wrote:
Hahaha open worlds to explore.... what was there to explore in previous Halos? The ark... lots of sand and rocks... exploring done... also 343 does a lot better with in game information about Halo than bungie did. What did bungie ever really explain? They never even spoke of other Spartans in game. You have always have had to go outside the game if you wanted more information. Also Halo started in books to begin with. While the script for H5 wasn't very good and the plot didn't match the build up at all they still mad some great missions and environments for them. Swords of Sanghelios mission is one of the best missions in Halo IMO. The Blue team mission was great as well. Visiting a forerunner planet was great. H5 had some good content in its campaign imo.
ODST?
LethalQ wrote:
ODST?
It had a city if sorts to explore with some covies in it but even then the missions themselves were pretty linear.
LethalQ wrote:
LethalQ wrote:
ODST?
It had a city if sorts to explore with some covies in it but even then the missions themselves were pretty linear.
The story was linear, if you couldn't find your way it could take more than a bit to progress through the missions outside of NM. ODST was rather open in the context of our halo experience. Were certainly not WOW level by any means, yet ODST gave us the best/closest feeling to an open world experience.
Weird, a lot of people found Halo 4's Campaign to be linear as well. Outside of maybe Requiem and Infinity.

A lot of people had problems with the game design in the Campaign (QTE's on the final boss...), and basically the Didact in general until more information was released about him.
The main problem was the blasted QTE's and scripted sequences in halo 4. Besides that there were many open areas
Gurantulaa wrote:
Yea but that's 1 mission and a part of another..... That's like 10 minutes of gameplay
Mission 2 starts of very linear, with an almost Halo CE opening level feel but even this relatively linear model allows exploration through the vent system allowing you to enter rooms through multiple different directions. As the level proceeds rooms begin to open up to large internal caverns with scaffolding allowing levelled combat to take place with again a large number of secret nooks and cranny's to discover. The mission ends with a hanger fight with two hunters, giving once again levelled combat opportunities, a plethora of weapons at your desposal all the while the ship is crumbling around you.

Mission 3 starts off with a large firefight in a wide open area with plenty of combat options. Activate the turrets, move to the high ground and snipe, push through the centre or pepper from afar with the turrets. The mission then opens up into a mini warthog run before transitioning into a target dense scorpion section.

Mission 6 begins with the classic halo tradition of backtracking and of course a warthog run across a crumbling surface. The mission transitions to a linear jungleJimesk climb up a collapsing space elevator, this and running down the guardian are probably the most linear moments of the campaign but even here they don't funnel you down a corridor like Halo 2 or 4, they allow for multiple routs and some satisfying trick jumps.

Mission 10 has a little of everything. On foot combat mixed in with vehicular play before opening up to the kraken, a obvious homage to Halo 3's scarab fights.
LethalQ wrote:
More open environments is what I mean. Like the mission "the storm" the "hallways" we're large environments. Not just corridors or a straight path.
LethalQ wrote:
Biggest majority of ALL halo missions have always been linear.
Nah. I can count on two hands all of the linear missions in halo 1-4. (Starter missions don't count as they are introductions)
Gurantulaa wrote:
Mission 2 starts of very linear, with an almost Halo CE opening level feel but even this relatively linear model allows exploration through the vent system allowing you to enter rooms through multiple different directions. As the level proceeds rooms begin to open up to large internal caverns with scaffolding allowing levelled combat to take place with again a large number of secret nooks and cranny's to discover. The mission ends with a hanger fight with two hunters, giving once again levelled combat opportunities, a plethora of weapons at your desposal all the while the ship is crumbling around you.

Mission 3 starts off with a large firefight in a wide open area with plenty of combat options. Activate the turrets, move to the high ground and snipe, push through the centre or pepper from afar with the turrets. The mission then opens up into a mini warthog run before transitioning into a target dense scorpion section.

Mission 6 begins with the classic halo tradition of backtracking and of course a warthog run across a crumbling surface. The mission transitions to a linear jungleJimesk climb up a collapsing space elevator, this and running down the guardian are probably the most linear moments of the campaign but even here they don't funnel you down a corridor like Halo 2 or 4, they allow for multiple routs and some satisfying trick jumps.

Mission 10 has a little of everything. On foot combat mixed in with vehicular play before opening up to the kraken, a obvious homage to Halo 3's scarab fights.
Do you realize what your saying. Mission 2 and 3 ok those aren't terrible but mission 3 especially isn't very open or big. It's a pathway with enemies on the side. Make that path less narrow! What your are doing is picking select parts of missions that show glimpses of big environments but sadly are just a linear as the library just with an outdoor skin.
I think there should be some very open levels and then some more intimate linear levels as well. If there is a good balance of that, then I will be happy.
I can agree with that. But even the linear level need to have replay value.
LethalQ wrote:
ODST?
He is just using strawman arguments. He does this all the time when he trolls the forums.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 12