The Systematic Erasure of Blue Team...

OP GreenleafCM

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
I just watched the footage of IGN's preview of the 'Halo Channel', and in the video they pan over a feature that will be akin to a Halo "encyclopedia" that offers biographical information about certain characters.

Specifically, they showed the entry for the Master Chief.

And I am seriously beside myself with disappointment right now.

Nowhere in his biography do they mention anything about his work with his fellow Spartan-IIs before and during the Human-Covenant War. It's barely even noted that there are other Spartan-IIs besides him.

His first lesson in training being about how to work as part of a team? Not important. The loss of his best friend, Sam-034, during his first encounter with the Covenant? Not important either. His daring return to Reach in order to rescue his teammates after the events of 'Combat Evolved'? Nope, no important character relationships worth mentioning there apparently.

Just because these events happened outside of the games does not make them unimportant - the Chief as a character has been developed largely outside of the games for the last 10 years. Why is all that suddenly being treated like it's nothing? I am so sick and tired of them trying to erase such a huge part of his history and his character.

Anyone whose seen me on the forums knows I'm probably the most vocal advocate for the Spartan-IIs of Blue Team finally being included in the games' story line...but with absolutely no acknowledgment of their existence even being given in a biographical document like this, I am at a loss.

Is there even any hope that we'll get any closure for the Chief's relationship with his teammates now? What are your guys' thoughts on this?
Well, we have reason to believe that Fred at least will be in Halo 5. I imagine 343 will give Blue Team their own dedicated encyclopedia entry as more info is revealed.
Don't forget the removal of the S-IIIs adopted into Blue Team. Saber's dead and Tom and Lucy are somewhere floating in the ether, probably dead too. I'm sure it is more of a keeping the numbers manageable kind of issue if Blue is going to be playable to an extent in Halo 5, but it still disappoints me.

I know your mostly referring to the core group of Blue, but I just wanted to add on.
I wouldn't like too much information on it. I prefer it as a small summary rather than a full on-screen novel. Few people read large texts.

And I don't like toasting my eyes reading on a screen for long time, also.
Quote:
Well, we have reason to believe that Fred at least will be in Halo 5. I imagine 343 will give Blue Team their own dedicated encyclopedia entry as more info is revealed.
That weird Fred-cameo in that Gamescom footage is partly why I'm so confused and upset.

Why keep dropping tiny little hints that the other Spartan-IIs might get to play a role in the future, but then completely omit them from a basic biography about the Chief and his exploits? It makes no sense.

I'm just tired of being strung around like this - it wears away at my confidence in 343 and any positive anticipation I could possibly have over the future of the franchise is buried under uncertainty.
Quote:
Don't forget the removal of the S-IIIs adopted into Blue Team. Saber's dead and Tom and Lucy are somewhere floating in the ether, probably dead too. I'm sure it is more of a keeping the numbers manageable kind of issue if Blue is going to be playable to an extent in Halo 5, but it still disappoints me.

I know your mostly referring to the core group of Blue, but I just wanted to add on.
True, what's been done to the remaining Spartan-IIIs is deplorable as well. According to the Catalog guy, they're currently working as part of the Spartan-IV program - but in what capacity we just don't know. Doubt we'll ever find out either...

But yeah, mostly I am referring to the core group of Blue Team and how they've been continuously tossed aside as a non-factor to John-117's character, when the exact opposite is the truth as we've seen in canon via the EU for the last 10 years. I just don't understand what 343 is trying to do. They say they're "incredibly fond of these characters", but then they do things that communicate the exact opposite.
Quote:
But yeah, mostly I am referring to the core group of Blue Team and how they've been continuously tossed aside as a non-factor to John-117's character, when the exact opposite is the truth as we've seen in canon via the EU for the last 10 years. I just don't understand what 343 is trying to do. They say they're "incredibly fond of these characters", but then they do things that communicate the exact opposite.
Their reunion with John in Escalation was not done well.
Quote:
I wouldn't like too much information on it. I prefer it as a small summary rather than a full on-screen novel. Few people read large texts.

Would it really be so hard to include at least 3 sentences about the Chief's work with his team, the main thing that defined his character right up until the events of the games? I don't think so.
Quote:
Quote:

Would it really be so hard to include at least 3 sentences about the Chief's work with his team, the main thing that defined his character right up until the events of the games? I don't think so.
My point was that excessive info is bad, not that Blue Team should be left out.
Quote:
Exactly. Comic book or not, the absolutely horrendous handling of their meeting after 5 years seems to be proof of just how little 343 actually cares about these characters and the role they play in regards to the Chief's history and personality.

And if they really have so little respect for the Chief's history outside of the events of the games, I think that's reason enough to become very concerned for the future of this franchise.
Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply that you thought they should be excluded. I was just trying to emphasize that it would not be difficult or excessive at all to just mention them.
Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. Comic book or not, the absolutely horrendous handling of their meeting after 5 years seems to be proof of just how little 343 actually cares about these characters and the role they play in regards to the Chief's history and personality.

And if they really have so little respect for the Chief's history outside of the events of the games, I think that's reason enough to become very concerned for the future of this franchise.
Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I will say that it should be incredibly easy to add EU info into the games. 343 could go about it a number of ways; at this point, there's no excuse not to.
Quote:
Quote:
I wasn't trying to imply that you thought they should be excluded. I was just trying to emphasize that it would not be difficult or excessive at all to just mention them.
Ok, just clearing things up. I was just saying including a full biography of John would be too much.

Addressing his relationship with the rest of Blue is indeed necessary.
Quote:
Guess we'll just have to wait and see. I will say that it should be incredibly easy to add EU info into the games. 343 could go about it a number of ways; at this point, there's no excuse not to.
It would be incredibly easy, and there is no good excuse at this point...so why aren't they? This little biography would've been the perfect way to lay some building blocks for that, but instead they chose to just completely ignore the EU instead. Again, it makes no sense...I don't think it's really a matter of "wait and see" at this point, when they're already clearly not doing things that would be incredibly simple to do.
Quote:
Ok, just clearing things up. I was just saying including a full biography of John would be too much.

Addressing his relationship with the rest of Blue is indeed necessary.
My point exactly. But apparently the devs don't think so. Why else would they not utilize such an easy way to introduce and familiarize people with these characters and their relation to the Chief?
Quote:
My point exactly. But apparently the devs don't think so. Why else would they not utilize such an easy way to introduce and familiarize people with these characters and their relation to the Chief?
I have the feeling they will give Kelly and Fred their own biography. If they don't link them all somehow... That would be some bad negelcting...
Quote:
I have the feeling they will give Kelly and Fred their own biography. If they don't link them all somehow... That would be some bad negelcting...
They're already neglected now. You can't find anything about them here on Waypoint, and it looks like the Halo Channel is going to follow suit in the worst way. My worry is that they're just going to slowly and surely erase them from the franchise, in spite of all the potential they offer as individual characters and what they offer in terms of exploring the Chief's character as well.
I blame bungie for the lack of Blue team. Since bungie proclaimed John was the last spartan II on numerous occasions.
Quote:
I blame bungie for the lack of Blue team. Since bungie proclaimed John was the last spartan II on numerous occasions.
Can't really blame Bungie for 343 not capitalizing on Bungie's mishaps. 343 has had plenty of opportunities to make up for lost time and haven't exactly done the best between a rather poor reunion in Escalation to outright death with Black Team.
The overall poor integration of the EU and the games definitely started with Bungie - and to this day I think that was their biggest error when they were handling the Halo franchise. However, they also created Blue Team to begin with and gave them proper development in whole novels. 343 has the chance to so easily introduce these characters and rectify Bungie's mistake while also furthering both their development and the Chief's - but it's becoming more and more clear with things like 'Escalation' this latest entry in the Halo Channel "encyclopedia" that they're simply not going to be doing that. And that's supremely disappointing. Especially when they've said that they want to better integrate all aspects of the lore and explore the Chief as a character. How can you possibly do those things while simultaneously leaving out probably the largest chunk of relevant information about the Chief's history and why he is the person we see in the games?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8