3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8
Quote:
Quote:
its fine, no need for the freak out, we should be sad the cooler and better spartan team is dead...ohhhh black teammm i wish we saw more of youuuuuuu
...And this comment was completely unnecessary and nonconstructive. Congratulations?
sums up this thread pretty well.
Quote:
sums up this thread pretty well.
Yes, truly someone who can't even use adult-level grammar and capitalization is a worthy judge of that...If you don't have anything to add, then don't comment.
Quote:
I am of the opinion that there is some reluctance to tie in non Xbox media to the Xbox audience. I don't know if it is for fear of overwhelming the Xbox audience, but I think there is opportunity to do a better job integrating the bigger picture into the Halo lore for the Xbox audience. Maybe in the form of a prequel focusing on the insurrectionists or something.
This is my point exactly. This is something 343 has said they want to do, but then at the same time they're not doing it when it would be easiest. Whoever wrote the bio for the Halo Channel didn't include one single thing about the Chief's relationship with his team, and then somebody further down the line must've approved it as well...why? People keep saying that they didn't mention his team "because nobody outside of lore nerds would care anyway", but that's just the thing - how will other people ever know or care about the Chief's life outside the events of the games if they consistently keep cutting it out?
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
And this is case-in-point of exactly what I mentioned earlier. Every time I try to advocate for Halo media being more wholly inclusive in regards to the lore and it's additional characters, I get ridiculed and torn down for no reason by other fans. While the developers remain ostensibly aloof of the whole thing aside from offering empty platitudes.

Everybody who's commented on this thread has agreed with me in some capacity that completely cutting the other Spartans out of something so basic as a summary of the Chief's history was not the best move. Again, if supposedly everyone here is so sure Blue Team will get to play a future role in the story, why are they being deliberately left out of things like what we saw in the Chief's biography/career history and getting zero introduction along with characters we know we'll be seeing in the future like the Arbiter and Agent Locke?
The time to introduce Blue Team was a long time ago, shortly after 343i released The Package. Enough tie-in fiction outside of comic books and novels could have established Blue Team. The Scanned trailer could have introduced Blue Team. Forward Unto Dawn could have given Blue Team more than a cameo.

At this point, I wouldn't count on Blue Team being given anything more than a brief appearance in Halo 5. There's no substantial foundation being laid for their return, not like the Arbiter or Locke. At best, they'll end up like piloting the Pelican in Halo 4: There for fanservice, but nothing really interesting will be done with them.
Quote:
And this is case-in-point of exactly what I mentioned earlier. Every time I try to advocate for Halo media being more wholly inclusive in regards to the lore and it's additional characters, I get ridiculed and torn down for no reason by other fans. While the developers remain ostensibly aloof of the whole thing aside from offering empty platitudes.

Everybody who's commented on this thread has agreed with me in some capacity that completely cutting the other Spartans out of something so basic as a summary of the Chief's history was not the best move. Again, if supposedly everyone here is so sure Blue Team will get to play a future role in the story, why are they being deliberately left out of things like what we saw in the Chief's biography/career history and getting zero introduction along with characters we know we'll be seeing in the future like the Arbiter and Agent Locke?
I personally agree with you. Blue Team should have at least gotten a sentence or two to at least give more background on John. However, due to the fact that most gamers don't read the fiction or other extra content, then maybe 343 sees it as a waste of time? Why? I don't know. It could get other fans interested in the lore, and hence, more profit for them.

I do sincerely hope they are in Halo:5 in some capacity, but the vibes I'm getting from promotional material and the like aren't making me feel very positive. Almost to the point I feel that it would be more likely to see Cortana or Johnson!

Let me clean up what i was really trying to say, 343i already said they were going to add in a little more blue team into halo's future and it was clear that the Halo channel was work in progress! Sooooo instead of saying there evil and they hate blue team ya could taken the video with a grain of salt and waited to see what his bio says when the halo channel launch's on nov 11 alongside the MCC. (btw lets try to play nice no need to be upset, stay sweet big guy ;) <3 )
I would of preferred Saber team dying in Escalation 10 rather than them just being killed of screen without a reason. But either way I don’t think we’re going to see much of Blue team in Halo 5 due to the fact that there would be so much hate towards 343 if they messed up anything about them, especially after what they did to their armour.
I don't think they should completely bloat his main bio, but yes there was some info in there I think they should've added in. I don't know, maybe they'll make separate sub threads for different characters. Like you have the main bio and then it's "click here to learn more about chief's training" and it links you to that. That would be a lot of information to implement if you're really going all out with character histories, but I think a lot of us would appreciate it.
Quote:
Let me clean up what i was really trying to say, 343i already said they were going to add in a little more blue team into halo's future and it was clear that the Halo channel was work in progress! Sooooo instead of saying there evil and they hate blue team ya could taken the video with a grain of salt and waited to see what his bio says when the halo channel launch's on nov 11 alongside the MCC. (btw lets try to play nice no need to be upset, stay sweet big guy ;) <3 )
I never siad they were "evil" or that they "hated Blue Team". I'm mearly calling them out on thier deliberate exclusion of characters that have strong ties to the Chief and his story - it makes no sense to mention the events of his first mission and what happened on Chi Ceti without even bringing up his relationship to his teammates. Also seeing as how what they showed was a live preview, it's obvious the majority of the content for the Halo Channel has already been written out, formatted, and is simply at the final testing stages. It launches in less than a month - I highly doubt they're going to change the content now.

Again my problem is that in spite of all thier vague insinuations that they might include Blue Team somehow in the future, 343i is not laying a foundation for that when it would be incredibly easy right now. Ergo it's looking more and more likely that, just like with the Spartan-IIIs and Black Team, Blue Team will eventually be erased from the story without getting any recognition or proper closure.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong...But everything we're getting right now gives me no reason to give 343i the benefit of the doubt.
I don't think they should completely bloat his main bio, but yes there was some info in there I think they should've added in. I don't know, maybe they'll make separate sub threads for different characters. Like you have the main bio and then it's "click here to learn more about chief's training" and it links you to that. That would be a lot of information to implement if you're really going all out with character histories, but I think a lot of us would appreciate it.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying it needs to be the length of a whole Halopedia article or anything, but it still remains that they mention two very specific events where his work with his team was a key facor - and then just cut them out. How does that help new fans who want to know more about the Chief's history get more eduacted, or acknowledge longtime lore fans' investments? It doesn't do anyone - not the fans, or even the characters themeselves - any favors.
I think it would be incredible for a Halo series to have a Reach-esque style of campaign, where someone can play as the MC, and others can drop in and play as the members of Blue Team, instead of Noble team.
I think it would be incredible for a Halo series to have a Reach-esque style of campaign, where someone can play as the MC, and others can drop in and play as the members of Blue Team, instead of Noble team.
Anyone else remember when people thought that Reach would have six player co op sine Noble had 6 Spartans?

Anyway, yeah, having Blue Team as playable co op characters would be great. I think some people like to think that the second Spartan in Halo CE co op, who you see getting out of a cyropod along with Chief, is Linda.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying it needs to be the length of a whole Halopedia article or anything, but it still remains that they mention two very specific events where his work with his team was a key facor - and then just cut them out. How does that help new fans who want to know more about the Chief's history get more eduacted, or acknowledge longtime lore fans' investments? It doesn't do anyone - not the fans, or even the characters themeselves - any favors.
I feel like they're trying to play Blue Team pretty close to the vest. They could have a major role in Halo 5 for all we know, and 343i probably doesn't want to tip us off.

Of course that may be just wishful thinking :p
Completely omitting them from the Chief's service history and biography seems to be a little overkill if they're trying to simply play things close to the vest though. Also the parts where Blue Team really should've been mentioned (the mission w/ Col. Watts, Chi Ceti) wouldn't be giving anything away in terms of them possibly being involved in the story in the future.

I'm actually really curious now as to who wrote that encyclopedia entry...because I wonder if it was a task that was pawned off to an employee who didn't really know anything about the Chief's history outside the games. That could explain some of the glaring issues with the article.
Completely omitting them from the Chief's service history and biography seems to be a little overkill if they're trying to simply play things close to the vest though. Also the parts where Blue Team really should've been mentioned (the mission w/ Col. Watts, Chi Ceti) wouldn't be giving anything away in terms of them possibly being involved in the story in the future.

I'm actually really curious now as to who wrote that encyclopedia entry...because I wonder if it was a task that was pawned off to an employee who didn't really know anything about the Chief's history outside the games. That could explain some of the glaring issues with the article.
Bro, give it a rest and be patient. You don't know what 298 studios' going to do.
Bro, give it a rest and be patient. You don't know what 298 studios' going to do.
I don't see why I should do that, particularly when the hard evidence is stacking up that they're going to be treating Blue Team as a total non-factor to the Chief's story in spite of the exact opposite being canonically true. Seriously, if this article is what 343i thinks is essential to know about John-117, I am starting to have serious doubts about the next games being the "character study" they've promised. It's completely ludicrious to mention Col. Watts' capture (a mission that would've failed if not for John's teammates being with him), and contact with the Covenant over Chi Ceti (where John lost one of his his best friends) without even bringing up his teammates. There's really no excuse for that - not when this "encyclopedia" entry is meant to inform people about the Chief's life. So really either this article was written by someone with extremely limited knowledge of Halo canon and it's just a huge mistake, or the folks at 343i are indeed very deliberately cutting out Blue Team from the story. Neither option is very good indication of care for the franchise if you ask me.
Quote:
Again my problem is that in spite of all thier vague insinuations that they might include Blue Team somehow in the future, 343i is not laying a foundation for that when it would be incredibly easy right now. Ergo it's looking more and more likely that, just like with the Spartan-IIIs and Black Team, Blue Team will eventually be erased from the story without getting any recognition or proper closure.

Maybe I'll be proven wrong...But everything we're getting right now gives me no reason to give 343i the benefit of the doubt.
I really don't think you've got anything to be worried about. 343 seem to be bringing back characters that have been swept under the canon-carpet by Bungie.

Bungie often claimed that John-117 was the last of his kind (e.g. it says he's the last Spartan on the back of the Halo 3 case), yet we know that's not true from the expanded canon.

343 have also brought Blue Team back as part of Escalation for their first appearance since Glasslands. Now they messed up badly by bringing back Black Team just to kill them off-screen, and killing loved characters such as Team Saber in forum posts, but they've also made an effort to include fan-favourite characters e.g. by bringing back Blue Team and having a Spirit of Fire arc that will no doubt play a part in later canon, possibly with the reappearance of Red Team + the Flood.

What 343 are doing now is no worse than what Bungie have done for years.
Luke Del wrote:
Quote:

I really don't think you've got anything to be worried about. 343 seem to be bringing back characters that have been swept under the canon-carpet by Bungie.

Bungie often claimed that John-117 was the last of his kind (e.g. it says he's the last Spartan on the back of the Halo 3 case), yet we know that's not true from the expanded canon.

343 have also brought Blue Team back as part of Escalation for their first appearance since Glasslands. Now they messed up badly by bringing back Black Team just to kill them off-screen, and killing loved characters such as Team Saber in forum posts, but they've also made an effort to include fan-favourite characters e.g. by bringing back Blue Team and having a Spirit of Fire arc that will no doubt play a part in later canon, possibly with the reappearance of Red Team + the Flood.

What 343 are doing now is no worse than what Bungie have done for years.
Bungie's policy of keeping the games and the EU so separate was a big mistake, and is indeed what started this mess, we all know that...true 343i isn't doing much worse, but the thing is they could easily be doing so much better and they're not. This recent "encylopedia" entry is cold hard proof of that.

Yes Blue Team was brought back in 'Escalation' - and were treated with no more concern than pieces of scenery. The writers/editors couldn't even be bothered to get something so incredibly basic as Kelly and Linda's roles right. Blue Team's reunion with the Chief, something that should've been an incredibly important moment for all characters involved, was completely botched and did nothing to establish exactly what these people are to John-117; and even the epilogue of issue #10 just acts like they don't exist. At least when Bungie had Blue Team in things, it was in whole novels that treated them like actual characters and acknowledged their relationship to the Chief.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 8