The Systematic Erasure of Blue Team...

OP GreenleafCM

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. ...
  6. 8
I don't think we can expect to have ALL of the information in front of us. That would defeat the purpose of buying the books or their actual Halo: Encyclopedias. You have to imagine that they are only showing the information from the game. Sorry.
Except that if you look at the biography for the Master Chief that recently went live here on Waypoint - [link] - you can see that they actually didn't have any problem mentioning Blue Team after all, or including the recent events of the 'Escalation' comic series. Of course it's not as thorough as what we've seen published in full-on book format Halo encyclopedias in the past (and that's to be expected), but still it's much more inclusive than the article I saw weeks ago that motivated me to start up this discussion.

The thing is, if Waypoint/the Halo Channel wants to become the "hub" destination for fans (particularly new ones) to learn about Halo's lore and large cast of characters, they need to include information from both the games and EU materials and continue to tie everything together. In the end it's by tying all aspects of the Universe together that will help them sell more things besides just the games (like books, comics, encyclopedias, etc.) - and will also make longtime fans feel their investments in the larger aspects of the Universe are being recognized and rewarded. These recent additions to the Universe section, with more likely to come, have in fact been a step in the right direction in regards to 343i rectifying Bungie's mistake of not making information about Halo's expansive fiction more widely accessible to fans.

(And as you can see, after seeing some of my initial criticisms proven wrong, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about things. I still would like to see certain characters rise above cameo capacity, but by not being completely silent while we "wait and see" is the best way to potentially effect positive changes.)
I don't think we can expect to have ALL of the information in front of us. That would defeat the purpose of buying the books or their actual Halo: Encyclopedias. You have to imagine that they are only showing the information from the game. Sorry.

Except that if you look at the biography for the Master Chief that recently went live here on Waypoint - [link] - you can see that they actually didn't have any problem mentioning Blue Team after all, or including the recent events of the 'Escalation' comic series. Of course it's not as thorough as what we've seen published in full-on book format Halo encyclopedias in the past (and that's to be expected), but still it's much more inclusive than the article I saw weeks ago that motivated me to start up this discussion.

The thing is, if Waypoint/the Halo Channel wants to become the "hub" destination for fans (particularly new ones) to learn about Halo's lore and large cast of characters, they need to include information from both the games and EU materials and continue to tie everything together. In the end it's by tying all aspects of the Universe together that will help them sell more things besides just the games (like books, comics, encyclopedias, etc.) - and will also make longtime fans feel their investments in the larger aspects of the Universe are being recognized and rewarded. These recent additions to the Universe section, with more likely to come, have in fact been a step in the right direction in regards to 343i rectifying Bungie's mistake of not making information about Halo's expansive fiction more widely accessible to fans.

(And as you can see, after seeing some of my initial criticisms proven wrong, I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about things. I still would like to see certain characters rise above cameo capacity, but by not being completely silent while we "wait and see" is the best way to potentially effect positive changes.)
A couple different points... First off, keep in mind that the article you saw originally was simply a non-final version used more to show off the concept for the Encyclopedia feature for the Halo Channel; no great conspiracy about it lol.

To the second point in bold, this thought is shared by us. And trust me, we've got some pretty cool plans in store for the Universe as it continues to grow, including an evolution of the Canon Fodder feature that you've been seeing in the Halo Bulletins the past couple months :-) You'll be hearing a bit more soon on some of our thoughts and plans for how we'd like to utilize the new Universe features.

Thanks so much for all the feedback and positive vibes, from everyone.

<3
Grim

A couple different points... First off, keep in mind that the article you saw originally was simply a non-final version used more to show off the concept for the Encyclopedia feature for the Halo Channel; no great conspiracy about it lol.

To the second point in bold, this thought is shared by us. And trust me, we've got some pretty cool plans in store for the Universe as it continues to grow, including an evolution of the Canon Fodder feature that you've been seeing in the Halo Bulletins the past couple months :-) You'll be hearing a bit more soon on some of our thoughts and plans for how we'd like to utilize the new Universe features.

Thanks so much for all the feedback and positive vibes, from everyone.

<3
Grim
(slow clap)
So I was browsing the interwebz as you do and I saw this article after looking for Fred's armor. Long story short, I find this thread hilarious seeing as Blue team will be front and center in Halo 5. time after time people doubt 343. GG OP.
Xzultan wrote:
So I was browsing the interwebz as you do and I saw this article after looking for Fred's armor. Long story short, I find this thread hilarious seeing as Blue team will be front and center in Halo 5. time after time people doubt 343. GG OP.
No need to revive old threads with new info.
I just watched the footage of IGN's preview of the 'Halo Channel', and in the video they pan over a feature that will be akin to a Halo "encyclopedia" that offers biographical information about certain characters.

Specifically, they showed the entry for the Master Chief.

And I am seriously beside myself with disappointment right now.

Nowhere in his biography do they mention anything about his work with his fellow Spartan-IIs before and during the Human-Covenant War. It's barely even noted that there are other Spartan-IIs besides him.

His first lesson in training being about how to work as part of a team? Not important. The loss of his best friend, Sam-034, during his first encounter with the Covenant? Not important either. His daring return to Reach in order to rescue his teammates after the events of 'Combat Evolved'? Nope, no important character relationships worth mentioning there apparently.

Just because these events happened outside of the games does not make them unimportant - the Chief as a character has been developed largely outside of the games for the last 10 years. Why is all that suddenly being treated like it's nothing? I am so sick and tired of them trying to erase such a huge part of his history and his character.

Anyone whose seen me on the forums knows I'm probably the most vocal advocate for the Spartan-IIs of Blue Team finally being included in the games' story line...but with absolutely no acknowledgment of their existence even being given in a biographical document like this, I am at a loss.

Is there even any hope that we'll get any closure for the Chief's relationship with his teammates now? What are your guys' thoughts on this?
All that you say might be for real world convenience, but one hopes that it's some part of a viral campaign, and that in-universe ONI is going about redacting and censoring records about the Master Chief's history in their attempt to brand him a traitor. And if this were in-universe, ONI definitely doesn't want public knowledge about the horrors of the Spartan-II's history proliferating through the chatternet.
Alas, I cannot attest to the presence of any ad campaign of that sort. Merely hopeless conjecture.
Ah good times right GreenleafCM? :3
Greenleaf rekt.

But seriously, funny stuff finding this thread. Crazy to think how much can change about the franchise in less than a year.
Xzultan wrote:
You're a little late to the party.
Lol. Never thought I'd see this gem again...

If I was ever to be proven 100% wrong about something in my life, I'm glad it was this.
Lol. Never thought I'd see this gem again...

If I was ever to be proven 100% wrong about something in my life, I'm glad it was this.
I'd say the best part is that you literally became a meme. Such humiliating flattery.
I was wondering about that to, what happened to them on reach! fist they are fighting on reach then the master chief is on the pillar of autumn.
BR4VO 360 wrote:
I was wondering about that to, what happened to them on reach! fist they are fighting on reach then the master chief is on the pillar of autumn.
Read First Strike.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 6
  4. 7
  5. ...
  6. 8