Forums / Community / Halo Universe

The thrust pack retcon

OP EAsucks4324

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Weren't thruster packs in the GEN 1 MJOLNIR from the very beginning? I seem to remember them being mentioned in the original Fall of Reach.
Yes, thruster packs used to maneuver in space. Entirely differently from the integrated thrust packs found on gen 2 armor
That's what was seen in The Fall of Reach animated, right? Just the thruster packs while they were infiltrating the Covenant ship?
There were also thrusters in The Package in Halo Legends but I'm not sure who had control over halo when it was made.
Also, I just want to clarify: Is it cannon?
Legends was made at the beginning of 343's ownership of Halo, I believe. And, yes, it is canon. The only part of Legends that isn't is Odd One Out.
Oh right.
I saw somewhere that a part of it wasn't cannon but wasn't sure which.
I just don't understand why do they have to make the change? Will there be an another technological advancement which suddenly has always been part of the Mjolnir? They should also be clear with the retcons and not slowly try to slip the idea on the universe. If the 343 wants to make such retcons they should say they want to change Canon and not leave us confused what is Canon and what isn't.
Okay, so I read the original Fall of Reach. They used Thruster Packs. This was not retconned in the Fall of Reach (2010). It was essentially retconned in The Fall of Reach animated film.

However, in Halo Wars, when the Spartans go to hijack a vehicle, there is a trail of smoke behind them when they jump up. I'm perfectly willing to chalk it up to poor graphical representation of thruster packs in MJOLNIR [GEN1].
Okay, so I read the original Fall of Reach. They used Thruster Packs. This was not retconned in the Fall of Reach (2010). It was essentially retconned in The Fall of Reach animated film.

I'm not talking about the thruster packs used to maneuver in zero g. I'm talking about fully integrated thrusters in the armor.
I know. I'm saying that in the books it was thruster packs. In the film, it was retconned to integrated thrusters.
juhoxxx wrote:
I just don't understand why do they have to make the change? Will there be an another technological advancement which suddenly has always been part of the Mjolnir? They should also be clear with the retcons and not slowly try to slip the idea on the universe. If the 343 wants to make such retcons they should say they want to change Canon and not leave us confused what is Canon and what isn't.
I don't consider anything 343 Industries does as canon. I don't even consider Bungie's ODST or Reach to be canon. Original prints of The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx and the original Halo trilogy are good though.
I don't consider anything 343 Industries does as canon. I don't even consider Bungie's ODST or Reach to be canon. Original prints of The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx and the original Halo trilogy are good though.
That's asinine. The universe has progressed far past Nylund's (honestly not that great) books. Be a purist all you want, but it is irrefutable that everything currently established is canon.
What's the problem exactly?
There's an action scene in First Strike in which all the remaining Spartan-IIs, save for a handful, have to jump out of their Pelicans in mid-air, which results in several deaths and many more injuries.

If they all had thrusters, then naturally, there shouldn't have been any tension in that scene at all. Not when we've seen said thrusters able to safely decelerate a Spartan after a HALO jump.

And this sorta applies to any time a Spartan character is injured from a fall, such as Black-Three in Blunt Instruments. Or Noble Six, following the LNoS mission.
There's an action scene in First Strike in which all the remaining Spartan-IIs, save for a handful, have to jump out of their Pelicans in mid-air, which results in several deaths and many more injuries.

If they all had thrusters, then naturally, there shouldn't have been any tension in that scene at all. Not when we've seen said thrusters able to safely decelerate a Spartan after a HALO jump.
If I rememeber correctly, that jump was from low orbit. As in almost out of the atmosphere. Thrusters aren't really going to stop anything from that height. With the scene in Halo 4, it looks like they dropped maybe 200 feet. Maybe.

Quote:
Or Noble Six, following the LNoS mission.
Noble Team (save Jorge) were using MJOLNIR . Not the same suit.
That's asinine. The universe has progressed far past Nylund's (honestly not that great) books. Be a purist all you want, but it is irrefutable that everything currently established is canon.
Well considering it's all fiction anyway and I'm perfectly satisfied with Halo 1, 2 and 3 then that's what I'll stick to ^_^
Please please 343 abandon the idea that Spartan-IIs had thruster packs all along. Both the Fall of Reach animated movie and the newer Tales from Slipspace comic anthology show Spartan-IIs in Mk.IV mjolnir having integrated thrusters. 343 seems to have a good grasp now on what the community wants/doesn't want, how come they didn't see that this is quite possibly the least popular retcon they could have made? Please 343, stop pushing this absurdity before it becomes known to the majority of Halo fans. If this ever becomes more well known you'll have a real problem on your hands because I can't think of a single reason anyone would possibly think this was a good idea.
It is far from the least popular retcon. This is a retcon very little people seem to actually care about and doubtful anyone else would.

If I rememeber correctly, that jump was from low orbit. As in almost out of the atmosphere. Thrusters aren't really going to stop anything from that height. With the scene in Halo 4, it looks like they dropped maybe 200 feet. Maybe.

Quote:

Quote:
Do you not remember Halo 5, and Osiris's love of jumping from high places and landing completely unscathed?

And what are you talking about? MJOLNIR is the name of the powered armor used by Spartans. It doesnt refer to one specific variant or iteration. If you meant to say Mark V, then there is also a flaw in your reasoning. If Mark IV and VI had thrusters all along, then it'd be simply illogical to assume that this retcon wouldnt apply to V.
Do you not remember Halo 5, and Osiris's love of jumping from high places and landing completely unscathed?
Do you mean jumping from within the atmosphere, in significantly more advanced MJOLNIR armor, on a sloped, snowy landing zone? Yes, I remember that.

Quote:
MJOLNIR is the name of the powered armor used by Spartans. It doesnt refer to one specific variant or iteration.
MJOLNIR has various iterations. I will give you that I meant Mk V.
MJOLNIR [GEN1]Mk. IV
Mk. V
Mk. VMk. VI
Mk. VII
MJOLNIR [GEN2]
I know. I'm saying that in the books it was thruster packs. In the film, it was retconned to integrated thrusters.
The Fall of Reach animated film has many, MANY issues, that being one of the least pressing ones.
We don't consider it full canon. The book trumps it completely.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
"We" who? I consider canon.
juhoxxx wrote:
snip
How will you get back into halo? Isn't the general rule of thumb for halo games " buy for campaign, stay for multiplayer"? This assuming that you even want to get back into halo and also assuming that 343 makes what you call a good halo game.
If the Halo lore can survive humanity first encountering the Elites during the Fall of Reach and Brutes during the raid on the Unyielding Hierophant being retconned, I think thrusters being present in older MJOLNIR models is survivable.
Whoa whoa whoa, humans first encountered Elites on Reach?
If the Halo lore can survive humanity first encountering the Elites during the Fall of Reach and Brutes during the raid on the Unyielding Hierophant being retconned, I think thrusters being present in older MJOLNIR models is survivable.
Whoa whoa whoa, humans first encountered Elites on Reach?
That's what the old FoR book said, yup.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3