Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Thoughts on Guilty Spark being alive?

OP Jordan G026

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I was just curious if anyone finds the fact 343 is still alive, hurts the original trilogy's story.
I dont think so .... as far as i know he's searching for the Librarian or where he believes she might be. It leaves a door open for 343 or an author to possibly explore this in future.

It's interesting that this is kind of a recurring theme in the lore. I recently read Halo:Last Light - while i wont give anything big away, the Forerunner Ancilla in that book has trouble believing that all the forerunners are gone - even when given proof through a Human A.I. it still doubts the validity of the evidence.
It was another dumb move by a writing staff that is creatively bankrupt. Characters that die, especially in a big way, should stay dead. Not constantly be recycled because 343i doesn't know how to create new and interesting characters that can carry the story.
At the end of Halo 3 343 can be seen in the background during the credits. It always bummed me out due to not getting revenge for Johnson’s death.
Spark's survival is a testament to the durrability of Forerunner Tech, and even so, he only survived because he was found in time by a ship that he could transfer himself into. So I don't have an issue with it.
At the end of Halo 3 343 can be seen in the background during the credits. It always bummed me out due to not getting revenge for Johnson’s death.
Are you sure you're not thinking about the end of Halo: Combat Evolved? Because it's pretty clear he explodes in Halo 3.
Are you sure you're not thinking about the end of Halo: Combat Evolved? Because it's pretty clear he explodes in Halo 3.
You know what, you’re right... For some reason at the end of Halo 3 I remembered him humming in the background, but watching back through the credits I can’t find it anymore.
Honestly, I hope he's dead. He was really annoying. I'd kill him again if I saw him cause he took Johnson from us!!!
Honestly, I hope he's dead. He was really annoying. I'd kill him again if I saw him cause he took Johnson from us!!!
Unfortunately he's not. In some of the expanded universe stuff he somehow came back to life, was found by some people and transferred his mind into an Armiger (the skinny soldier Prometheans from Halo 5) because again, 343i is creatively bankrupt and has to bring characters back from the dead because they're unable to make any interesting characters that fans like.
Unfortunately he's not. In some of the expanded universe stuff he somehow came back to life, was found by some people and transferred his mind into an Armiger (the skinny soldier Prometheans from Halo 5) because again, 343i is creatively bankrupt and has to bring characters back from the dead because they're unable to make any interesting characters that fans like.
What your'e talking about is a novel called Halo: Renegades and I can assure you,
this book anything else than sign of 343i being "creatively bankrupt", it is a very interesting novel,
good to read and it is showing 343 Guilty Spark, now called simply Spark, from a fascinating perspective.
I highly recommend it.
I mean, technically 343 guilty spark is dead. The character we encountered in CE-3 is no longer living. 343 died on the Ark when we killed them. The character who is looking for the librarian is not 343 guilty spark, but the ancient human who was turned into 343.

On a non-technical stance, ya he is alive and we didn't kill him. But technically we did.
I mean, technically 343 guilty spark is dead. The character we encountered in CE-3 is no longer living. 343 died on the Ark when we killed them. The character who is looking for the librarian is not 343 guilty spark, but the ancient human who was turned into 343.

On a non-technical stance, ya he is alive and we didn't kill him. But technically we did.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Yes he is technically still alive, but the GS we knew from the original trilogy is effectively dead. When that version of him was killed, the old memories from his time as Chakas kinda took over. Most of Renegades, at least from Spark's perspective, delves into his internal conflict about what he actually is. Is he GS? Chakas? Something new? The answer ended up being that he is something new, simply Spark.
My opinion on Guilty Spark being revived is in stark contrast to Cortana: I think it's great. What 343i has done to Guilty Spark has incredibly enhanced his character. I wouldn't say he was a shallow character in the OT, but there also wasn't a whole lot of character for him, either. Using him to expand upon the ancient humans and Forerunners I felt was great.

And I'll pull an Obi-Wan Kenobi and say that 343 Guilty Spark is dead... from a certain point of view. Spark, as he goes by now, is different while still maintaining familiarity to the old monitor.
I hate the Armigers almost as much as I hate Guilty Spark
I hate the Armigers almost as much as I hate Guilty Spark
I hated Guilty Spark until I read Renegades. Then my feelings about him near totally reversed; Kelly Gay did such a good job with his new character arc.
I am fine with it, as others have said he's dead and the original being Chakas has returned to being in control.
Weird, because fans seemed to enjoy Chakas and the newly introduced Rion Forge and her crew aboard the Ace of Spades. Sure, reviving dead characters rarely works, but what they’ve done with Spark has been great. They took a robot who was super protective of his ring and fleshed out his past to reveal a deeply human tragedy and redemption.
If Guilty Spark is still alive, then they better make a level where you get to kill him again. Either that, or they bring Johnson back to life, and that seems way more unlikely.
I personally don't like it.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2