Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Thoughts on Halo: Warfleet

OP Jacob Ly44

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I recently got Halo: Warfleet and have been reading through it. I want to share some of my thoughts and hear other people's opinions on the book.

This is a big illustrated "coffee table" style book. It has 10 illustrated cross sections and many more scale renderings. It's kind of like a cross between Star Wars Incredible Cross Sections (same artist too!) And Metalball Studios spaceship render videos on YouTube. We only get 10 cross sections and to be honest I am disappointed in the Covenant and Forerunner cross sections since they aren't very detailed and show minimal cut outs from the alien ships.

In that regard the UNSC cross sections fare much better. We get some good detail of many UNSC ships, Spirit of Fire being my favorite in that section. The book's writing is lore dense. We read about the UNSC's plan to use the Infinity as an emergency colony ship to evacuate human space in the event of a Covenant victory. We see "Half Jaw's" command ship during the Sanghelli civil war, learning how the ship is tattered and beaten since it has been unable to go into dry dock for full repairs since the events of Halo 3. We learn that when the Mantle's Approach was destroyed all computer systems were instantly dumped to Genesis, explaining how Halo 4 &5 are linked.

Overall it's a good book, but I wish it had more. Some ships such as Forward Unto Dawn are notably absent. I wish we got a better look at the Covenant cross sections especially. Still, I recommend it as a good book to purchase.
I was somewhat upset at just how limited it was. I was expecting at least illustrations for most of the ships - especially the new Sangheili ones - as well as illustrations of both the phantom and the spirit.
It must be hard as story writers to try to make a book with all the ship blue prints. They aren't engineers. They're artists.
It is a good book, though. I plan to buy another for my nephew.
I was somewhat upset at just how limited it was. I was expecting at least illustrations for most of the ships - especially the new Sangheili ones - as well as illustrations of both the phantom and the spirit.
Yeah I agree that it was a bit more limited than I was expecting. In a way it reminded me of the issue I had with Halo Wars 2's cutscenes, we saw in the advertisements all the Blur studio crazy cool ones and were surprised to see that most of the game was in engine RTS animated cutscenes with the Blur ones used only to highlight specific moments. Seeing those plain renders in most of the book was a little upsetting, especially given that what we saw mostly in the advertising were those hand drawn cut out paintings.

Speaking of those hand drawn paintings, for comparison I pulled out my Star Wars Incredible Cross Sections Revenge of the Sith book and compared the artist's work side by side. His old Star Wars ship drawings were teaming with detail, such as little figures walking through them and small ships in hangar bays; etc. The Halo ships seem kind of empty in comparison, no figures in them... and the only ships noticeable in the hangars being either Pelicans or Phantoms depending on the faction. I don't know if that was a result of the artist not knowing Halo as well so he didn't have as much to work with, or if the interior of many Halo ships haven't been fleshed out much and the artist didn't want to try and imagine new stuff.

With that said, interestingly enough I remembered after writing the original post was that the Ardent Prayer from Halo: Reach is one of the most open ship cut outs. It faithfully replicates how the Halo: Reach Long Night of Solace level looks!
It is a good book, though. I plan to buy another for my nephew.
With all my complaints said, I still agree its a good book! Your nephew will have fun with it ;)
It was awesome and I'm hoping that a version for ground vehicles and units is made
Seconded on all your points honestly. I was hoping for Star Wars level cut-aways with dozens of little notes, rather than the dozen or so we get for each ship.
Was also kind of hoping for something on Forward Unto Dawn too, or possibly the Everest...but I'll take what I can get.
Still waiting on its UK release..then will comment
Forward Unto Dawn would be tricky. They'd probably base it on the Halo 3 Dawn, but then they'd have to fit the Halo 4 Dawns interior into it. Perhaps that's why they skipped it?
UK here so can't get the book yet.

Any nice hints towardS Halo 6? I know some of the Forerunner stuff like Guardians are in. Any new info on them?

Any nice hints towardS Halo 6? I know some of the Forerunner stuff like Guardians are in. Any new info on them?
Not anything really overbearing hinting about the future of the franchise but a few things of note. When the Mantle's Approach was destroyed not only did it shunt its computer data to Genesis, but also large amounts of empty shells for the Prometheans... explaining how Cortana not only arrived at Genesis but got an army pretty quickly too. The Guardians are described as having sort of a policing role in the Forerunner Empire, something that automatically policed out of the way worlds; so often doing its jobs so quickly the Forerunner ecumene didn't even get many reports of what the Guardians did because they saw it as "beneath them." In short, Guardians are seen as intergalactic traffic cops by the Forerunners. Even the floating bits in the Guardians were less a battle design choice and something the Forerunners saw as a way to intimidate lesser species.... :P

Okay maybe they aren't really traffic cops, but that is how the Forerunners seemed to treat the Guardians. Furthermore it mentions Guardians were the first line of defense against the Flood and got their butts kicked quickly as soon as hordes of Flood infected ships overran them. So in theory, fighting the Guardians might be easier than we guessed. although still posing some challenge to our heroes. The reintroduction of the Flood in Awakening the Nightmare might also suggest that the Guardians will soon find themselves up against an enemy that can take them down again... It is no wonder then Cortana has been shown of taking over Halo Rings, since when the Guardians fail the ability to hold a gun to the universe will ultimately be what could keep her crazy rampant self in control... Flood, Human, Covenant, Banished... all of them have to respect the person/computer who can destroy them in a moments notice with the Halo Rings.
Jacob Ly44 wrote:

Not anything really overbearing hinting about the future of the franchise but a few things of note. When the Mantle's Approach was destroyed not only did it shunt its computer data to Genesis, but also large amounts of empty shells for the Prometheans... explaining how Cortana not only arrived at Genesis but got an army pretty quickly too. The Guardians are described as having sort of a policing role in the Forerunner Empire, something that automatically policed out of the way worlds; so often doing its jobs so quickly the Forerunner ecumene didn't even get many reports of what the Guardians did because they saw it as "beneath them." In short, Guardians are seen as intergalactic traffic cops by the Forerunners. Even the floating bits in the Guardians were less a battle design choice and something the Forerunners saw as a way to intimidate lesser species.... :P

Okay maybe they aren't really traffic cops, but that is how the Forerunners seemed to treat the Guardians. Furthermore it mentions Guardians were the first line of defense against the Flood and got their butts kicked quickly as soon as hordes of Flood infected ships overran them. So in theory, fighting the Guardians might be easier than we guessed. although still posing some challenge to our heroes. The reintroduction of the Flood in Awakening the Nightmare might also suggest that the Guardians will soon find themselves up against an enemy that can take them down again... It is no wonder then Cortana has been shown of taking over Halo Rings, since when the Guardians fail the ability to hold a gun to the universe will ultimately be what could keep her crazy rampant self in control... Flood, Human, Covenant, Banished... all of them have to respect the person/computer who can destroy them in a moments notice with the Halo Rings.
Wouldnt the Guardians shut down non Forerunners ships? I assumed Guardians failed because the Flood took Forerunners systems. I am surprised they would start downplaying their effectiveness, that only raises the issue of how Cortana is a threat to. Humanity and the Covenant.

I still feel they can't take HW2, especially an expansion, as assumed knowledge for the FPS. So they can't have the Flood inexplicably show up in the shooter.

Personally I prefer the idea that getting rid of Cortana is what helps the Flood spread. Blaming Cortana for a flood outbreak is a bit much.
Jacob Ly44 wrote:
You know, that computer data thing for the Mantle's Approach actually makes a lot of sense. For a species so reliant on the Domain, I suppose it makes sense to try and recover all of a ship's data and send it to the Domain. Although it does somewhat upset me since it seems like yet another made-up explanation after-the-fact.
Would've loved if the ending of Halo 4 had some hint about that(if it were thought of at the time), like, maybe they notice a large data transfer from the Mantle's Approach as it was destroyed.

EDIT: Actually, Cortana says in Halo 5 that she was pulled into slipspace and sent to Genesis. Most of us assumed she meant the Didact's physical ship, but she must've meant data - since Forerunners, Covenant, even humans use slipspace to transmit information. So maybe it wasn't so after-the-fact.
Legobrick1000 good point, the book did say they were Flood controlled Forerunner ships. So I guess maybe just maybe that means human ships won't be to effective against the Guardians. Still, if the explosion of a mid sized human ship is enough to destabilize the structure of a Halo ring... humans pack quite a punch in the Halo universe!
What about those physical plasma torpedoes, anyone?
Jacob Ly44 wrote:
Legobrick1000 good point, the book did say they were Flood controlled Forerunner ships. So I guess maybe just maybe that means human ships won't be to effective against the Guardians. Still, if the explosion of a mid sized human ship is enough to destabilize the structure of a Halo ring... humans pack quite a punch in the Halo universe!
I think a somewhat big problem with the end of Halo 5 was that they didn't even do anything to prove just how big a threat the Guardians actually are. I mean, they could've at least had the Infinity fire on it, show it took no damage, then had the Infinity run, but the ship just ran without attempting to fight.

So really, we have no idea what to expect from the Guardians in regard to what could actually damage or destroy them.
What about those physical plasma torpedoes, anyone?
Yeah. There's some cool lore in here. That bit about the UNSC Eternity. The way that Seraph pilots jack into the matrix to control their ship. The little tidbit that there's, like, a friggin' cabal in the engineering sector of an ORS-class heavy cruiser 'cause the engineers need to appease the Forerunner intelligence within the shrine-core. The Spirit of Fire is a massive RTS-justifying machine, apparently (granted, the Halo Wars 2 stuff hinted pretty heavily at this). The categories of personnel in Covenant ships are interesting; heiromonk is, frankly, just silly. Obedientary is a novel term, though.

Just, lots of weird, interesting little notions that I hope to see explored sometime.
Yeah, and now we have raw data on ship data, like the # of Archer missle pods on the Pillar of Autumn (300 was way too much), and the glorious looks into ships weve known about, but havent had too much info on (lookin at you In Amber Clad and Halberd). Need to see the Gladdus class corvette in something now! If i were to complain, not enough data on the cross sections, look at the Star Wars cross sections, they have twenty to fifty points of interest, Infinity has like eight or something. Well, to my original point, the way plasma torpedoes worked before was where it was a big ball of plasma SOMEHOW contained with a magnetic field constantly eliminating from the turret, the field at full strength for hundreds of kilometers (bleh, hate kilometers, just use friggin miles). That... that just kind of doesn't make sense. You would literally be able to rip a ship in half with that much magnetism, there would be no need for the turret to shoot the friggin plasma! Not to mention how the ship firing the torpedo would be crunched into a ball like tinfoil from just firing it. That, and i don't think the Covenent even had enough power to pull it off. This new solution actually makes sense, and does work with previous lore, even in First Strike where this all started. Having the field coming from the torpedo itself solves a lot of problems. The ship is used as the guidance system, and the core contains the plasma sheath. Brilliant!
I'm hoping for a second volume with more info on the post-war UNSC and Sangheili ships.
  • Brigantine
  • Carrack
  • Man o War
  • Poseidon light carrier
  • Anlace frigate
  • Vindication light battleship
The book was pretty decent, but I was disappointed. I though the information was lacking, despite the impressive illustrations and cross sections.
I was hoping that the book would also talk about the battles in the war against the Covenant. Along with that, the operational history of many of the ships (what accomplishments they've made, what missions they took part in, how many enemy ships have they destroyed, etc.).
I'm pretty sure the Pillar of Autumn carried more troops when it arrived on Halo, though the information in the book may be the average standard load out considering that the ship hastily escaped Reach with as many men as it could save. Though this a minor, nit-picking complaint.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2