Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Thoughts on the UNSC Infinity

OP Noobbula

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
One thing that really disappointed me in the newer games is the fact that the Infinity exists. Honestly, it basically was the SoF 10x, and it's functions could have been easily done by other, smaller, cheaper carriers like the SoF. Additionally, it gives writers freedom to do whatever they want with the story, because they can throw the Infinity at it, with its 5-something MAC cannons and support carriers, basically making battles boring. Anyhow, write your thoughts below.
I agree.

Another part of the terrible writing decisions 343i made. Even four years after the war that nearly saw the human race wiped out, somehow the UNSC can afford to finish such a bloated project? Supposedly it was intended on being more of an escape boat, but yeah. A nation that has been beaten to the brink of annihilation cannot rebound as fast as 343i wanted us to believe, and they toss this big ship in our face to say 'we are the giants now'.

Because they want people to buy into the fact that, not only were they trying to retcon the visual style and designs of the previous games and attempting to erase Bungie's influence from the universe entirely, they were trying to impress people with dazzle. 343i wanted audiences to respect the Infinity (and by extension, them) without earning that respect first. The Infinity is a ship that we are continuously told that is great and awesome and powerful, yet nearly every time it is on screen it is being crippled or is running away from a threat.

There's only like two times that it actually does something worthwhile, and one of those was in a multiplayer mode that no one really liked.

It is a un-needed bucket that was built for IRL reasons and then given a flimsy in-universe reason to exist and everyone was expected to love it (and 343i) just because of how shiny it was.
I agree.

Another part of the terrible writing decisions 343i made. Even four years after the war that nearly saw the human race wiped out, somehow the UNSC can afford to finish such a bloated project? Supposedly it was intended on being more of an escape boat, but yeah. A nation that has been beaten to the brink of annihilation cannot rebound as fast as 343i wanted us to believe, and they toss this big ship in our face to say 'we are the giants now'.

Because they want people to buy into the fact that, not only were they trying to retcon the visual style and designs of the previous games and attempting to erase Bungie's influence from the universe entirely, they were trying to impress people with dazzle. 343i wanted audiences to respect the Infinity (and by extension, them) without earning that respect first. The Infinity is a ship that we are continuously told that is great and awesome and powerful, yet nearly every time it is on screen it is being crippled or is running away from a threat.

There's only like two times that it actually does something worthwhile, and one of those was in a multiplayer mode that no one really liked.

It is a un-needed bucket that was built for IRL reasons and then given a flimsy in-universe reason to exist and everyone was expected to love it (and 343i) just because of how shiny it was.
Exactly! Thank you!
The UNSC INFINITY is overrated.

I won't lie when the INFINITY was first revealed, I was amazed by the technological marvel of the UNSC... until I asked the all important question that 343i ignored and retconned. How in holy hell was the UNSC able to build something like this, when our teeth were getting kicked by the Covenant over the near three decade Human-Covenant War? My suspension of disbelief was broken and as Spartan Ops came put with its episodic content. The amazement I felt for the INFINITY dropped like a rock as someone thought, 'Hey we have a Forunner engine, why don't we bolt it onto our floating brick and surely nothing bad will happen. Right?' And then it loses power and is later tethered to Requiem.

And then we have the incomplete UNSC ETERNITY.

The intended sister ship of the INFINITY that the UNSC was building and was still incomplete as of 2558 and learning about another INFINITY-Class Supercarrier being built by a Post-War UNSC mind you six years after the Human-Covenant War is absolute madness. The entire economy of the UNSC should still be in a state of rebuilding and instead they came out better then the Covenant Empire who splintered as we know because of the Great Schism. Don't make me laugh the Covenant Empire's Splinter Factions should have been in a better state compared to the UNSC who are now the "Giants Now" when besides the INFINITY/ETERNITY, they are still behind the Covenant in terms of technology.

Please don't give me that Humanity is Reclaimers crap either.

I don't care if they have access to Onyx, Installation 00 or the mcguffin Janus Key. No way in hell is humanity going to understand even half of the Forerunner Tech available to them in a few years compared to the Covenant Empire who had thousands of years. Don't care about the imitative vs innovative crap either as the poor copies of the Covenant were superior to anything the UNSC fielded in the Human-Covenant War. And again looking at you INFINITY. Putting an alien engine that no one even understands besides the all knowing Halsey onto there shiny floating brick is still one of the most head scratching things 343i chose to do. Gonna end my ranting here now though.
The above posters pretty much said it all. For me, the Infinity is a ridiculously overpowered super-ship capable of doing anything the writers want it to do. Because of that, the Infinity always lowers the stakes whenever it's around. No matter how dire a situation gets for humanity, the writers can always just throw the Infinity at the problem and completely negate the seriousness of it. I really hope the Infinity gets destroyed early on in Infinite. Humanity will never truly be backed into a corner again if the Infinity can just come riding in to save the day every time something goes wrong.
The UNSC already had Punic-class Supercarriers. The Infinity is just a Supercarrier incorporating technology they acquired during the war. The logic behind it was that Humanity was at the brink of extinction, and the Covenant was whittling away at the UNSC fleets so consistently that there'd soon be nothing left, so the UNSC threw all of their eggs in one basket to make a ship that could take the punishment and keep going, a ship that could take the last remnants of humanity somewhere beyond Covenant control if needed.

However, the end of the war prevented humanity's doomsday, and rather than the last hope of a dying race, the Infinity became the centerpiece of a new fleet (keep in mind, after surviving the war, all of the other ships the UNSC made are the smaller "more practical" ships you refer to. The Infinity is the sledgehammer the UNSC takes to situations where they need to minimize risk.

That said, it's also a symbol of arrogance (take Laskey's "now we're the giants" speech), which history and fiction both show often comes before a fall. It is possible that in the next game, to defeat Cortana the UNSC will have to sacrifice the Infinity to accomplish the goal of defeating the Created, much like how ancient humanity passed the Precursor test of worth by sacrificing a third of their population to create an anti-Flood in a desperate attempt to save the rest of the galaxy from the Flood.

Also, note that if your problem is how the Infinity solves humanity's problems, Master Chief actually solves more of those problems than the Infinity does.
I think that's rather the idea. Survived a brutal, genocidal campaign in the Human-Covenant War, you make sure you have a weapon to help win battles more easily, so you're never "on the ropes" again.
JNDreher wrote:
The UNSC already had Punic-class Supercarriers. The Infinity is just a Supercarrier incorporating technology they acquired during the war. The logic behind it was that Humanity was at the brink of extinction, and the Covenant was whittling away at the UNSC fleets so consistently that there'd soon be nothing left, so the UNSC threw all of their eggs in one basket to make a ship that could take the punishment and keep going, a ship that could take the last remnants of humanity somewhere beyond Covenant control if needed.

However, the end of the war prevented humanity's doomsday, and rather than the last hope of a dying race, the Infinity became the centerpiece of a new fleet (keep in mind, after surviving the war, all of the other ships the UNSC made are the smaller "more practical" ships you refer to. The Infinity is the sledgehammer the UNSC takes to situations where they need to minimize risk.

That said, it's also a symbol of arrogance (take Laskey's "now we're the giants" speech), which history and fiction both show often comes before a fall. It is possible that in the next game, to defeat Cortana the UNSC will have to sacrifice the Infinity to accomplish the goal of defeating the Created, much like how ancient humanity passed the Precursor test of worth by sacrificing a third of their population to create an anti-Flood in a desperate attempt to save the rest of the galaxy from the Flood.

Also, note that if your problem is how the Infinity solves humanity's problems, Master Chief actually solves more of those problems than the Infinity does.
We have seen this before in Star Wars with the Empire building their fancy super-destroyers, only for them to be destroyed, and the Empire to fall. (That'd be an interesting story point for Halo...)
JNDreher wrote:

Yay Someone who actually pays attention!
It doesnt have enough juice honestly.
Four Super MACs only? Barely 5000 Marines and a couple hundred Spartans?
No. If your going to make a 5 klick long ship in Halo, give it the kind of firepower that would make the creators of the Death Star weak at the knees.
Im talking Forerunner based hardlight annihilation lances, the stuff they had on their starships fighting the Flood.

However as a vessel, and in terms of looks and "hell yeah humanity!" factor, its great. Its my second favorite ship after the Spirit and I love it more than I do most any other proper military ship (not something like the Serenity or the Babylon 5).
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
A waste really, the thing is pushed as the best thing since the forerunners yet is barely bigger than a typical covenant assault carrier and I doubt much bbn more powerful.
Will gloss over the repeated bording and almost destruction and say I think I would have liked it had it been incomplete. We get introduced to it as it is being very slowly redesigned from a lifeboat vessel to a survey vessel rather than a warship. Use it as a vessel to help recolonize and repair ruined worlds.

That would give a reason for the frigates that come with it, along with the forerunner engines.
I disagree. It's a sign of progress. The fact such a ship can exist really conveys the sense that the status-quo has changed, and I love that - too many franchises are scared to change the status-quo. The ship opens up writing possibilities, and not just because they now have comparable firepower to larger threats.
I disagree. It's a sign of progress. The fact such a ship can exist really conveys the sense that the status-quo has changed, and I love that - too many franchises are scared to change the status-quo. The ship opens up writing possibilities, and not just because they now have comparable firepower to larger threats.
The thing is that the UNSC /shouldn't/ be like that, not four years after a war that lasted a quarter of a century and saw, until the retcon, every single world humanity had colonized lost, and the homeworld under a near-hopeless siege, and only 'won' thanks to what amounted to a mulligan. The UNSC /barely/ survived. It shouldn't have 'become the giant' in a post-war galaxy, had new fleets of advanced warships or a military that was capable of standing up and staring down the Elites or any other Covenant faction.

Or even thought about allowing any Covenant species at all to settle on Earth.

The Infinity is the mark of bad writing, made largely for real world reasons in the hopes of wowing and stunning audiences in the hopes that said audiences would just sign on with the new owners of the Halo franchise. There was so much more that could have been done with depicting humanity as not the victors, but just survivors trying to rebuild what was lost.
It always strikes me as odd that the Infinity is hated because it gives the UNSC too much power, but consider how it has been used.

It was boarded by insurrectionists.

It was effectively locked out of Requiem during Spartan Ops and couldn’t decisively break Jul ‘Mdama’s fleet and defenses.

It was forced on the run by Cortana’s Guardians.

Despite fears of it being an overpowered plot device, it has actually had a fairly minor effect on the plot. Thus far it’s most powerful displays have been leaving a crater on Sanghelios during Thursday War and making a hole in the Didact’s ship (which almost immediately began fixing itself).
It always strikes me as odd that the Infinity is hated because it gives the UNSC too much power, but consider how it has been used.

It was boarded by insurrectionists.

It was effectively locked out of Requiem during Spartan Ops and couldn’t decisively break Jul ‘Mdama’s fleet and defenses.

It was forced on the run by Cortana’s Guardians.

Despite fears of it being an overpowered plot device, it has actually had a fairly minor effect on the plot. Thus far it’s most powerful displays have been leaving a crater on Sanghelios during Thursday War and making a hole in the Didact’s ship (which almost immediately began fixing itself).
You make a fair point. But I would counter by saying that the Infinity appears to be able to take whatever is thrown at it, almost to a fault. No matter what happens, be it insurrectionists or Covenant factions or vengeful sons of presumed dead ship captains, the Infinity always eventually ends up just fine in the end. It's like a sitcom where everything just goes back to normal at the start of the next episode regardless of how ridiculous things got at the end of the previous episode.
If you hold that against the Infinity then you’d be putting decades of sci-fi on trial. Looking at you Millennium Falcon.
If you hold that against the Infinity then you’d be putting decades of sci-fi on trial. Looking at you Millennium Falcon.
I guess I kind of am. I mean there are instances in sci-fi where the fact that a ship has taken too many beatings is a major plot point. An example that comes to mind is Serenity from Firefly. There's an entire episode about the fact that the ship is on its last legs, which was a result of negligence and pushing back a needed repair (a compression coil blew that was well past the point where it needed to be replaced). That was my favorite episode of the whole short-lived series. So for me, making a ship vulnerable can be very effective in story telling.

Making a ship invincible is kinda boring imo. There's just no real weight behind any action sequence when you know the ship will turn out just fine in the end. I guess I'm fine with the Infinity eventually getting back up to speed, but the turn around time from damaged to fixed is just way too quick sometimes. Especially for a ship the size of a city.
I felt the same way as OP but also reading the Kilo-Five trilogy gives you so much more insight and backstory...I actually really dig the UNSC Infinity now. It makes sense in my opinion in-universe of how and why humanity built it, and even though it is "overpowered" there really hasn't been a point in the games where you felt invincible.

So a big massive super ship full of badass spartans? Sure, why not!
MrDeath130 wrote:
I felt the same way as OP but also reading the Kilo-Five trilogy gives you so much more insight and backstory...I actually really dig the UNSC Infinity now. It makes sense in my opinion in-universe of how and why humanity built it, and even though it is "overpowered" there really hasn't been a point in the games where you felt invincible.

So a big massive super ship full of badass spartans? Sure, why not!
I know.. sometimes it does seem a little cool, but not cooler, by far, than Spirit of Fire.
Spirit of Fire is the best overall ship in the franchise, purpose wise. Design wise, that goes to the Paris class frigate. Both ships have unique hull shapes that make them stand out against the Boxes of the Infinity and other UNSC capital ships before they started retconning all these brand new ship types into existence unrealistically in the four years following the war when humanity should have been deep deep DEEP into just recovering from nearly losing the war.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2