Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Thoughts on the UNSC Infinity

OP Noobbula

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
So are people complaining that the Infinity is too powerful? Well it was originally supposed to be Humanity's final lifeboat, that's why it's so dang massive. Why wouldn't we make our lifeboat the most powerful star-ship ever built? I love the Infinity, and I hope that people who call it "lazy" writing see that it's supposed to be the way it is, not some fix-all plot device. If that were the case, why did the Infinity almost lose on Requiem? And besides, someone mentioned earlier that Master Chief has fixed more problems for Humanity than Infinity.
I'm fine with the Infinity. Some argue that there's no way the UNSC would understand the Forerunner tech they used in the Infinity, and I agree. However, the UNSC doesn't really understand it. They basically found a Forerunner drive core during the war, and just bolted it to the Infinity. They kinda operate on the principle that you don't need to understand how it works in order to use it. As far as I know, the drive core is the only piece of Forerunner tech on Infinity. So I don't mind that 4 years after the war, humanity is using ships with super-advanced technology. As for the fact that two Infinity class ships were being built, not all of the UNSC's colonies were destroyed in the war. I'm sure that the UNSC had enough raw materials to build these ships.
Oh where do I start.

The problem with the UNSC Infinity is that 343 has never been able to decide a 100% what they want this ship to represent or what part it should play in the Reclaimer series.

Post Halo 3 343 wanted to turn the established Halo setting of humanity being the underdogs on its head by portraying the UNSC as the dominant power, but didn’t want to put the effort of drastically redesigning the UNSC as a faction or the contemporary setting itself.

As a result we’re just suppose to believe the UNSC, which only 4 years before had emerged from the most devastating and costly war in human history is now a superpower and the much larger Covenant is now weaker.

How and why?

That’s never really receives a satisfactory answer, and goes completely against the setting Halo 1-3 previously established.

I have the exact same problem with Infinity. We’re surprise to believe this ship is something ground breaking and game changing that could have changed the entire course of the human Covenant war had it been built 30 years earlier?

How???

It’s armed with exactly the same weapons in the form of of MAC cannons and missiles that consistently failed to turn the tide of human defeats and glassed colonies during the entire course of the human Covenant. Yes it has the advantage of energy shielding, but so does every Covenant warship it will be coming up against.

And before anyone brings up its Forerunner engines, an alien component that can shut down your ship with no warning is not a decisive advantage.

There is such a thing called ‘show don’t tell’ which boils down to showing your audience why something is the way it is rather then simply telling them it is so.

If Infinity represented a new generation hybrid human-Covenant warship or day a refurbished Prehistoric human battle cruiser, I could believe the above statement but this would likely require a radical redesign for the UNSC which 343 intimately were not committed to, and instead elected to go with the same ‘human’ design of warship we already had.

As a result I feel 343 are reluctant to discard Infinity as the failure they know it is from a story telling perspective, but at the same time they won’t allow it to break the status quo.

The result is a ship that is wrapped in plot armour in my opinion, with it lurching from one disaster to another simply because destroying it would waste the time and effort 343 have already invested into integrating this ship into the backstory of so many characters and themes of their half baked setting that I still don’t think they really know how to conclude.

In retrospect, the Infinity is simply to big an investment on 343’s part to be allowed to be destroyed, and to flawed a design for me to realistically believe it is as powerful as characters like Lasky brag that it and the UNSC now are.

That is just infuriating as it is nothing ore then bad story telling.

I really wish it had been either the Spirit of Fire of Shadow of Intent that had found MC on Requiem in Halo 4. Bother Cutter and Rtas are far more interesting characters then Del Rio, Lasky and Palmer.
timh1990 wrote:
Oh where do I start.

The problem with the UNSC Infinity is that 343 has never been able to decide a 100% what they want this ship to represent or what part it should play in the Reclaimer series.

Post Halo 3 343 wanted to turn the established Halo setting of humanity being the underdogs on its head by portraying the UNSC as the dominant power, but didn’t want to put the effort of drastically redesigning the UNSC as a faction or the contemporary setting itself.

As a result we’re just suppose to believe the UNSC, which only 4 years before had emerged from the most devastating and costly war in human history is now a superpower and the much larger Covenant is now weaker.

How and why?

That’s never really receives a satisfactory answer, and goes completely against the setting Halo 1-3 previously established.

I have the exact same problem with Infinity. We’re surprise to believe this ship is something ground breaking and game changing that could have changed the entire course of the human Covenant war had it been built 30 years earlier?

How???

It’s armed with exactly the same weapons in the form of of MAC cannons and missiles that consistently failed to turn the tide of human defeats and glassed colonies during the entire course of the human Covenant. Yes it has the advantage of energy shielding, but so does every Covenant warship it will be coming up against.

And before anyone brings up its Forerunner engines, an alien component that can shut down your ship with no warning is not a decisive advantage.

There is such a thing called ‘show don’t tell’ which boils down to showing your audience why something is the way it is rather then simply telling them it is so.

If Infinity represented a new generation hybrid human-Covenant warship or day a refurbished Prehistoric human battle cruiser, I could believe the above statement but this would likely require a radical redesign for the UNSC which 343 intimately were not committed to, and instead elected to go with the same ‘human’ design of warship we already had.

As a result I feel 343 are reluctant to discard Infinity as the failure they know it is from a story telling perspective, but at the same time they won’t allow it to break the status quo.

The result is a ship that is wrapped in plot armour in my opinion, with it lurching from one disaster to another simply because destroying it would waste the time and effort 343 have already invested into integrating this ship into the backstory of so many characters and themes of their half baked setting that I still don’t think they really know how to conclude.

In retrospect, the Infinity is simply to big an investment on 343’s part to be allowed to be destroyed, and to flawed a design for me to realistically believe it is as powerful as characters like Lasky brag that it and the UNSC now are.

That is just infuriating as it is nothing ore then bad story telling.

I really wish it had been either the Spirit of Fire of Shadow of Intent that had found MC on Requiem in Halo 4. Bother Cutter and Rtas are far more interesting characters then Del Rio, Lasky and Palmer.
I’m willing to bet the Infinity won’t be in Halo Infinite. Simply because this will be a “soft reboot of the series” and 343i have said they want to tell simpler stories so fans won’t have to read the extended lore to understand what’s going on and who’s who. Also with the pilot saying “we lost, we lost everything”. Sounds to me the story will start from scratch. It is set 4? or 5? years after the events of Halo 5. This is only my prediction.
Noobbula wrote:
One thing that really disappointed me in the newer games is the fact that the Infinity exists. Honestly, it basically was the SoF 10x, and it's functions could have been easily done by other, smaller, cheaper carriers like the SoF. Additionally, it gives writers freedom to do whatever they want with the story, because they can throw the Infinity at it, with its 5-something MAC cannons and support carriers, basically making battles boring. Anyhow, write your thoughts below.
I can see where you're coming from, and In terms of story-telling,it does git a lil' boring (You cannot lie does get a lil' fun to watch) But yes, from a story point it does get pretty repetitive, But from a Meta "Technical standpoint", I'm gonna make a counter-argument.

I'm the kind of person, whenever I see something in games or movies, I take it's design and purpose more seriously than how it's implemented, and from that standpoint, It would make sense for the UNSC, after years of fighting the Covenant, losing Thousands of Cruisers and frigates, along with Thousand of TRILLIONS of Dollars in each of them, It would make sense for them to create them to invest a lot of time and money into a "Jack-of-all-trades" Kind-of ship. It's Designed to be good for Exploration, Combat, Training, etc, But it's not supposed to be THE BEST at any of them. A Fleet of Cruisers would be better for Exploration, A Cluster of Destroyers and Frigates would be LEAGUES better for Combat, and Training in the Infinity would be no-where near training on an actual Base.

Let's not forget the UNSC managed, SOMEHOW, to bolt Forerunner engines into Human technology, imagine what that kind-of research could do for other parts of the UNSC's arsenal.

Sure, it's implementation into the story could have been leagues better, but personally, I feel that doesn't change the Fact the Infinity is a Bad--Yoink- ship for the UNSC and the Halo-verse.
I disagree. It's a sign of progress. The fact such a ship can exist really conveys the sense that the status-quo has changed, and I love that - too many franchises are scared to change the status-quo. The ship opens up writing possibilities, and not just because they now have comparable firepower to larger threats.
The thing is that the UNSC /shouldn't/ be like that, not four years after a war that lasted a quarter of a century and saw, until the retcon, every single world humanity had colonized lost, and the homeworld under a near-hopeless siege, and only 'won' thanks to what amounted to a mulligan. The UNSC /barely/ survived. It shouldn't have 'become the giant' in a post-war galaxy, had new fleets of advanced warships or a military that was capable of standing up and staring down the Elites or any other Covenant faction.

Or even thought about allowing any Covenant species at all to settle on Earth.

The Infinity is the mark of bad writing, made largely for real world reasons in the hopes of wowing and stunning audiences in the hopes that said audiences would just sign on with the new owners of the Halo franchise. There was so much more that could have been done with depicting humanity as not the victors, but just survivors trying to rebuild what was lost.
I suppose that's a fair argument. There are certain things I like about the Infinity, but now I'm thinking it would've been best saved for a third trilogy, with the current trilogy instead depicting the slow recovery.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2