Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Tired of book plots lacking a conclusion

OP Razsorsharp

Has anyone noticed that the Halo novels' individual plots are left undeveloped for years at a time?

It seems that a storyline starts and we only get two entries before 343 leaves it alone. I understand that not every aspect of the Canon can be updated with frequency but it gets annoying when you know the plot won't advance for another few years. I know for a fact we won't get to see what happens next to Rion and the Ace of Spades until 2023 or what is going on at Onyx until 2024. It gets annoying when it's just books about the Master Chief or books set in the Human-Covenant War which is an era that doesn't really need anymore development.
All I want is for 343 to stick with a plot and finish it without starting fifty others that also go nowhere.
It's just because 343i wants that long term investment so you'll keep giving them money for bad books.
I really don't understand why Troy Denning has two trilogies going on at once, especially since neither of them seems to have any major impact on the larger plot. Halo: Oblivion is just...it's like he was contractually obligated to do a trilogy but he only had enough ideas for two books, so we got characters walking around a desert for pages on end.
I really don't understand why Troy Denning has two trilogies going on at once, especially since neither of them seems to have any major impact on the larger plot. Halo: Oblivion is just...it's like he was contractually obligated to do a trilogy but he only had enough ideas for two books, so we got characters walking around a desert for pages on end.
Oblivion is completely unnecessary. Silent Storm was much better and accomplished what it set out to do: expand on Chief's origin story.
I personally am not sure why 343i hasn't updated story plots that exist in canon pre-2558, maybe they have a bigger focus on nailing Infinite down first, however, I and a few others have noticed that they are keeping things going on at the time of the Created Conflict quite under the wraps at the moment due to Infinite's story likely going to wrap up that subplot and so they have to keep stories going on around that time on the down low until Infinite is released. Although that's mostly speculation, maybe it's internal issues and contracts etc that may be the true reason.
There are a few factors at play (and probably some more that I'm not privy to since I'm not a 343 employee).
  1. Contractual obligations can complicate a story. An author can be contracted to write a book, then the book gets traction so another one is ordered. But then the third book that would conclude the story is held in limbo until the higher-ups at 343 determine there is enough interest to warrant the investment in a third book.
  2. The need to keep things under wraps for Infinite could be putting a lot of stuff on hold. The stuff with Rion Forge might need to remain on hold until we see what happens in Infinite, for example.
  3. Sometimes the author of a particular series just hasn't been able to write the book that 343 wants. They may be under contract, but the terms of the contract might dictate an open-ended date for when the book is due, within reason of course.
  4. And here's the hard one to swallow: 343 just doesn't want the story to continue because they are focusing on something else right now. A lot of the stories we want continued are from stuff that happened a long time ago and 343 may just want to focus on more current lore.
A lot of this is complicated by the fact that 343 treats all lore as equal. Back in the Bungie days, everything was secondary to the games. So if someone wanted to write a book back then, Bungie wasn't overly concerned about how that story would affect the game story. Now with 343, every story has to fit within the overall narrative, which can limit what stories can be told.

Like if the third book following Last Light and Retribution has a chance of conflicting with the Created Uprising, it might get scrapped. Under Bungie, the devs might shrug and not care about what happened in that hypothetical third book. But with 343, the story would absolutely have to fit with the current narrative, so it wouldn't be published for fear of conflicting with that narrative.
Frankly Bungie's way of doing things was arguably better, even if they did treat the books as secondary canon, it overall meant higher quality authors making cohesive standalone narratives. No more garbage trilogies by people like Tarvvisty and Greg UnBearable ruining characters and altering the entirety of the backstory into this cartoonishly dumb portrayal of things.

Nylund knew how to write Halo books. Just a shame that he got mad about having to change FoR to match up to the events of Reach.
Traviss i can understand, but how is greg bear bad? I've loved the books he's written for halo
Nylund knew how to write Halo books. Just a shame that he got mad about having to change FoR to match up to the events of Reach.
Have you listened to HiddenXperia's interview with Marty O'Donnell? I ask because they discuss the discrepancies between FOR and Reach. I agree to a certain extent with you. I like that 343 puts more effort into making all the lore fit together, but it's clear that there are some downsides to trying to make even the tiniest bit of lore fit within the overall narrative expressed in the games.

It might be worthwhile for 343 to adopt some of the old Bungie practices and just focus on the games, while the rest of the extended universe takes a back seat and is treated as more of a garnish than an entree.
I did try to listen to it, but frankly the way HiddenXperia constantly interrupts Marty to give his own 'take' on each siatution and the way his voice sounds made me annoyed enough to stop watching. He just should have sat there and let the man talk.
I did try to listen to it, but frankly the way HiddenXperia constantly interrupts Marty to give his own 'take' on each siatution and the way his voice sounds made me annoyed enough to stop watching. He just should have sat there and let the man talk.
I can definitely agree with that. His voice doesn't bother me, but he was clearly all too excited to inject his own opinion. Nothing against him from me (I attribute most of it to being a fanboy who really wanted to impress one of his idols), but yeah the best interviewers just kinda ask a question and let their guest go on for an extended period of time, only interrupting to keep them on track or prompt them to continue.