Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Top 5 Religious References in Halo.

OP DigitizeCarnage

This is a cool thread i found over at the Bnet forums with examples that i never really thought about. Their still some Halo Related and decent stuff posted over there :p.

5. Spartans
Not religion in the strictest sense, but it's no secret that The Spartans are a direct equivalent to the soldiers of Greek mythological and The 300 fame. Their armor, though, MJOLNIR, is a reference to Thor's hammer. There's even a multiplayer map in Halo 3 known as Valhalla. You could take this to mean that The Spartans are an amalgamation of history and religion's great warrior races.

4. The Ark
Halo 3's Ark shares a name with Noah's, and was the Forerunner structure designed to save the human race from The Flood. Also, The Ark Of The Covenant is a highly revered religious artifact in 'abrahamic' religions, giving it a nice double meaning in Halo 3.

3. The Flood
Not only is The Flood a direct reference to the Flood that God sent to cleanse the earth, the actual species is similar to the plagues and pestilence sent by God during that time. In the bible, The Floods wiped out humanity only for it to start again. In Halo, it wiped out The Forerunners, only for life to begin again with their few surviving members.

2. Halo
Pretty obvious, when you think of it. The Halo is not just a reference to the ring worlds that prove crucial to the game's plot, it's the very thing shining above your head - you are the messiah, you are the savior of humanity. Eventually, Master Chief dies for our sins, locked in a tomb (cryostasis) to be resurrected when needed.

1. Master Chief John 117
Apart from the obvious messiah overtones of playing as the savior of the human race, there are more subtle biblical references in Master Chief's make up. His name, John 117, is most likely a reference to The Book Of Revelations, previously known as The Revelation of Saint John the Divine. In Revelation 1:17, it says "and when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last." According to the Halo Wikia, Master Chief is the first Spartan studied by Dr. Halsey. And of course, he is the last by the time Halo Combat Evolved begins.
Yes its all very clever how Bungie has made this related to things such as the Bible. I have already heard of some of these but thanks for putting them into a list.
2. Halo
Pretty obvious, when you think of it. The Halo is not just a reference to the ring worlds that prove crucial to the game's plot, it's the very thing shining above your head - you are the messiah, you are the savior of humanity. Eventually, Master Chief dies for our sins, locked in a tomb (cryostasis) to be resurrected when needed.

I think that the reference to Halo is not just Master Chief, but the Halo's themselves. The Halo's wiped out the flood and all life in the galaxy to save all the species. :)
yea all religious beliefs helped build halo