Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Use of Irony in the Halo Universe

OP MochaNight67368

I was wondering if people can think of examples of irony in the Halo Universe.

The two examples that made me create this discussion were

1. Cortana chastizing Chief in Halo 1 telling him "This ring is not a cudgel, you barbarian". When in fact the Halo rings are actually a blunt forced weapon on a galactic scale and that the seemingly all-knowing smart -Yoink- AI was just wrong.

2. The irony that the Covenant refers to activating the rings as " The Great Journey" that will ascend all who are worthy to godhood like the Forerunners by following in their footsteps ( a lie, mistake), while the Forerunner's also referred to a "Great Journey" of the Precursors and one day following in their footsteps (also a lie, mistake, covering up the Precursors eradication in the Forerunner- Precursor war).

Example 2 can also be considered a motif of the entire series, but I still find it to be ironic.

So I was wondering if YOU have noticed any examples of irony throughout this wonderful franchise?
The fact that the Covenant are waging a genocidal war on Humanity because they think they are an insult to their Gods, the Forerunners, who actually labeled Humanity as their Reclaimers. Also there are hints that Humanity and Forerunners were one race, so the Covenant are basically just killing the children of the Forerunners. Although it is later found out that this whole war was meant to cover up that Humanity were the Reclaimers.
The names used by hierarchs;

Examples:

High Prophet of Truth: entirely duplicitous, hidden agendas all over the place, and misled the entire covenant in the Human-Covenant War.

High Prophet of Restraint: dogged by accusations around sexual conduct, exploited by the new incoming hierarchs

Only one I can think of which is unironic is High Prophet of Tolerance
Kat was the brains, gets shot in the head. Jorge was the demolitions and big guns guy. Dies in an explosion. Carter was the captain. Goes down with his ship(pelican). Jun was the stealth expert. Disappears(I know he’s still alive). Emile likes knives. Gets stabbed. Noble Six is the Lone Wolf. Dies fighting alone.
MorseyBaby wrote:

Examples:

High Prophet of Truth: entirely duplicitous, hidden agendas all over the place, and misled the entire covenant in the Human-Covenant War.

High Prophet of Restraint: dogged by accusations around sexual conduct, exploited by the new incoming hierarchs

I knew about a minute after I posted this that the Prophets names would be brought up. Huge bonus points for going more lore-heavy though I just read Broken Circle and didn't really make that connection.
MorseyBaby wrote:

Examples:

I knew about a minute after I posted this that the Prophets names would be brought up. Huge bonus points for going more lore-heavy though I just read Broken Circle and didn't really make that connection.
Haha fair play. Really enjoyed Broken Circle and felt it added a lot to the species - really looking forward to what they do with the surviving population noted in Shadow of Intent
If we're mentioning opposite-named prophets, the main character of the first part of Broken Circle, Mken 'Scre'ah'ben, is called the Prophet of Inner Conviction, but he is actually constantly in doubt and lacking motivation.

Also, the Didact, driven mad by the Gravemind, decided that he should punish humanity and turn them into a weapon against the Flood. He did this with the Composers. In his eyes it was a judgement he had the right to administer for violation of the Mantle. Fast-forward 100,000 years, John defeats him in Halo Escalation by having him crash land on a bunch of Composers, presumably turning him into a digitized essence. Assuming that is what happened (and Escalation, Mythos and Waypoint all seem to do that), he fell victim to the same judgement he rendered upon those he deemed to violate the Mantle -- in no small part because he was himself violating the Mantle.
If we're mentioning opposite-named prophets, the main character of the first part of Broken Circle, Mken 'Scre'ah'ben, is called the Prophet of Inner Conviction, but he is actually constantly in doubt and lacking motivation.

Also, the Didact, driven mad by the Gravemind, decided that he should punish humanity and turn them into a weapon against the Flood. He did this with the Composers. In his eyes it was a judgement he had the right to administer for violation of the Mantle. Fast-forward 100,000 years, John defeats him in Halo Escalation by having him crash land on a bunch of Composers, presumably turning him into a digitized essence. Assuming that is what happened (and Escalation, Mythos and Waypoint all seem to do that), he fell victim to the same judgement he rendered upon those he deemed to violate the Mantle -- in no small part because he was himself violating the Mantle.
Piggybacking off that further, the Didact and really the entire Forerunner use of the Mantle as a tool/justification for essentially holding all the other races down by policing them is ironic.
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

Examples:

Haha fair play. Really enjoyed Broken Circle and felt it added a lot to the species - really looking forward to what they do with the surviving population noted in Shadow of Intent
I really enjoyed the window it provided into the universe I felt the Refuge Colony's fate in the present time is a little disappointing though and the huge time jump leaves the narrative a little disjointed.

Piggybacking off that further, the Didact and really the entire Forerunner use of the Mantle as a tool/justification for essentially holding all the other races down by policing them is ironic.
Which is pretty much what Cortana and the Created are doing too.
MorseyBaby wrote:

Examples:

Zo Resken (Prophet of Clarity) from Broken Circle I'd also say is unironic. His loyalty to those who had defended and served him, the Sangheili, was clear and uncompromised, even under intense pressure, up to and including the threat of death.
MorseyBaby wrote:

Examples:

Zo Resken (Prophet of Clarity) from Broken Circle I'd also say is unironic. His loyalty to those who had defended and served him, the Sangheili, was clear and uncompromised, even under intense pressure, up to and including the threat of death.
Another even better example
MorseyBaby wrote:

Examples:

It's almost Orwellian

Freedom is Slavery
MorseyBaby wrote:
MorseyBaby wrote:

Examples:

I really enjoyed the window it provided into the universe I felt the Refuge Colony's fate in the present time is a little disappointing though and the huge time jump leaves the narrative a little disjointed.
Please don't post multiple time in a row. If you need to add more information or quote other users, you can edit your last post. Thanks
The fact that Noble Team died for Cortana for sabe humanity in that moment and after she became the biggest treat. That is kind of... Dude!!!.
The fact that Noble Team died for Cortana for sabe humanity in that moment and after she became the biggest treat. That is kind of... Dude!!!.
On the other hand... without that would humanity have survived the Covenant for it to matter?
I think it would be ironic if everything was made of iron.
MorseyBaby wrote:
On the other hand... without that would humanity have survived the Covenant for it to matter?
Well, actually that is the question of the million. It’s probab no but also yes. It could be another AI or “luck”?