Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Wait... Pelicans in Slipspace?

OP JSA343

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Frankie wrote:
TFW you necrobump because you remember a post from 2013 that you couldn’t respond to because the answer was in an un-released piece of fiction. A variant of the Condor, as it turns out. One of several small ship solutions we discussed for practical SlipSpace capable solutions and in a way, based on the aesthetics and “clumsiness” of refueling aircraft as well as nose-opening Boeing transport planes. The Condor set we built for Nightfall had a nose almost as big as a Jumbo.

The technology is not frequently used because the energy needs and practicality scale much better for ~ Frigate type solutions - that is to say that in 2552 - Slipspace technology is not trivial enough for people to send small packages. It’s a way better and more economical idea to send a LOT of stuff in one puncture.

Ironically I remembered this while working on some Booster Frame material that may or may not ever end up in something else.

technically a mod could ban me for this. I’d accept my fate.
Your bravery is noted sir. May your fate be favorable.

In all seriousness, thanks for that tidbit of information. That’s super interesting.
Frankie wrote:
TFW you necrobump because you remember a post from 2013 that you couldn’t respond to because the answer was in an un-released piece of fiction. A variant of the Condor, as it turns out. One of several small ship solutions we discussed for practical SlipSpace capable solutions and in a way, based on the aesthetics and “clumsiness” of refueling aircraft as well as nose-opening Boeing transport planes. The Condor set we built for Nightfall had a nose almost as big as a Jumbo.

The technology is not frequently used because the energy needs and practicality scale much better for ~ Frigate type solutions - that is to say that in 2552 - Slipspace technology is not trivial enough for people to send small packages. It’s a way better and more economical idea to send a LOT of stuff in one puncture.

Ironically I remembered this while working on some Booster Frame material that may or may not ever end up in something else.

Reported :)
May the mods have mercy on your soul.
JSA343 wrote:
Recently re-brought to my attention was a very sudden concept made in The Thursday War. Pelicans safely going through slipspace on their own.
Tart-Cart had a slipspace drive installed when the Huragok repaired it.

Page 680:
"It's bit of a stretch for Tart-Cart. But she'll make it. She's got a slipspace drive now."

"Is Devereaux actually rated to fly that?"

"She's got me, Captain."

"I know, I know."

"And who's going to argue about it? We're ONI."

"Yes, its the work of Beelzebub. Isn't it fabulous? Let's order another one."

Thats all the explanation we truly get. Which is incredibly strange since it was a big deal in First Strike that small vehicles using slipspace will likely tear themselves apart. This is shown when a heavily armored Spirit exits slipspace alone, it is heavily damaged.

So, what the hell did the Huragok do to Tart-Cart to make a dropship not rip itself to pieces and maintain its own stable slipspace field?
Extra armor with Forerunner enhancements? Would that even work?
Slipspace shielding?

This is incredibly important, and all we get is "Beelzebub!". Where does a slipspace drive even effectively go?

And if this was done, quite easily it'd seem, why aren't there more? Pelicans could have just slipspaced out of Requiem to get a warning out. Dropships can just slipspace underneath AA fire in combat zones and deploy forces or wreak havoc. Or both.
from my understanding of slipstream space (lords know I've had to get a small degree in physics just to write FTL in science fiction) the problem isn't the durability of the vehicle IF the vehicle has a Slipstream Space Drive, because the damage is incurred because the object in-question isn't natural to slipstream space, to counteract that a slipspace drive creates a quantum field which is loose technobabble that simply means it encases the craft in a field of its own universe the only thing that would be noticeable would be that the craft could be thrown about a little more than usual. The difference between the tart-cart and the spirit you've mentioned is who's generating the quantum field, the tart cart is generating its own quantum field whereas the spirit isn't. So all the Huragok did was make an slipspace drive that could be easily fitted to a pelican (there were power limitations before the huragoks)

edit: I didn't realise this was an old post or why it was reactivated until just now.
Frankie wrote:

Reported :)
If someone told me when I first joined Waypoint that one day I'd be reporting Frankie for violating forum rules, I would have told them that there would be a better chance of Cortana dying and then coming back to life as a moustache twirling villain before that ever happened.
I'm sad now.
Frankie wrote:
ban
Banned
Didn't a Pelican go through Slipspace once in Reach?
No that pelican was used as a improvised slipspace bomb
The space Banshees/dropships could perform (short?) slipspace jumps, if I remember correctly that was how they got to you when defending the space station in H:Reach.
The space Banshees/dropships could perform (short?) slipspace jumps, if I remember correctly that was how they got to you when defending the space station in H:Reach.
That's a really interesting point and does beg the question how covenant reactors are more powerful than fusion reactors but different question for a different post.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2