Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Was Master Chief supposed to be a cyborg?

OP Robert Jonez

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
I know that later in the games, it explains that Master Chief is an augmented super soldier. But I was playing Halo: CE, and I noticed something weird about one of the level descriptions. Fire up the level 'Keyes' and read the description. This is what it says:

"Stage a one-cyborg assault on a Covenant ship and bring back the Captain."

This leads me into the main question. Was the Master Chief originally supposed to be a cyborg?
He still is a Cyborg, which by definition is: "a person whose body contains mechanical or electrical devices and whose abilities are greater than the abilities of normal humans"
No. John-117 was never a cyborg. He was genetically augmented to be able to use MJOLNIR armor and become a super soldier. Alls he has is medal reinforced bones, a faster processing brain, modified genetics, a better built muscle structure, and a neurolink to connect to A.I's while in or out of the armor.
Thats like asking if Darth Vader was once human because he is mostly medal. Vader just has partially mechanical legs and partially mechanical arms. The rest is human, and he was aways human.
Thats my two cents.
^ Master Chief can still be a cyborg though, given that his armour does serve as mechanical enhancements to pull off feats, that he otherwise wouldn't be able to, without the armour.
^ Master Chief can still be a cyborg though, given that his armour does serve as mechanical enhancements to pull off feats, that he otherwise wouldn't be able to, without the armour.
Not quite.
His armor serves as not only armor for protection and communication, but also for acting as an external "power" armor. What you said is that its a mechanical enhancement to pull off physical feats. I don't believe its like that....I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that the "power" aspect of Chiefs armor enhances his raw muscular power.
No. John-117 was never a cyborg.

http://www.halopedia.org/SPARTAN_neural_interface
Just because he has a neural interface doesnt make John a cyborg.

Do you know what a Cyborg is?

Yes, I do.
Does MC have a completely metal body under the armor? No. He is just an enhanced human. Hence, not a cyborg.

Yes, I do.
Does MC have a completely metal body under the armor? No. He is just an enhanced human. Hence, not a cyborg.
Umm... that's not entirely what a cyborg is. Any organic being given a mechanical enhancement is a cyborg.

Yes, I do.

Umm... that's not entirely what a cyborg is. Any organic being given a mechanical enhancement is a cyborg.
Huum .... no. An external armor does not make you a cyborg. He can fight without it. A cyborg would have mechanical parts, like robocop, not a suit.
Dede134 wrote:

Yes, I do.

Huum .... no. An external armor does not make you a cyborg. He can fight without it. A cyborg would have mechanical parts, like robocop, not a suit.
They are not talking about his armor, they are talking about the bio mechanical implants, the dendrites in his brain, the carbide ceramic on his bones, the platinum pellet in his thyroid, etc. He is a cyborg even without his armor.
Ok, I already posted the definition of Cyborg.

Cyborg - Noun
(Short for "Cynerbetic Organism")

"in stories : a person whose body contains mechanical or electrical devices and whose abilities are greater than the abilities of normal humans"

Spartan Faction

"Spartans are biologically enhanced, cybernetically augmented, heavily armored super-soldiers created during the 26th century."

Further reading

Wikipedia (Examples)

TVTropes
How is this even a discussion?
All Spartans (except for Spartan Is) are cyborgs.
They may not fit the whole "robocop" cyborg description, but they still count.
A list of cyborgs people don't realize are cyborgs:
Detective Spooner (Will Smith in I, Robot)
John Shepherd (Mass Effect)
Master Chief (Halo)
Main Character from the new Total Recall (he had a phone implant in his hand)
and a bunch of others.

A less official description of a cyborg would be that they are any living being with some sort of synthetic enhancement that can be considered part of their being. So Master Chief's suit is not what makes him a cyborg because he can live without it and easily discard it. What makes him a cyborg is, as many have stated, the plating on his bones, the neural implants, the platinum pellet, and probably all sorts of minor things not listed in the augmentation procedure.
A cybernetic organism living tissue over metal endoskeleton
Exeider wrote:
Dede134 wrote:

Yes, I do.

They are not talking about his armor, they are talking about the bio mechanical implants, the dendrites in his brain, the carbide ceramic on his bones, the platinum pellet in his thyroid, etc. He is a cyborg even without his armor.
There's several things wrong with this. First of all, unless John's skeleton gets wi-fi or has minesweeper installed, you can't really count the reinforced bones. They're not mechanical or electronic. The Thyroid implant is just a pill filled with hormones that are released into the body as the pellet is dissolved. It's not a permanent part of his body. It's like saying that after swallowing some Tylenol, you're suddenly a Cyborg. Also, we ALL have Dendrites. They're a part of nerve cells.

And EVERY serviceman and woman in the UNSC has a neural implant. Spartans, at least IIs, just have better ones. If anyone is a Cyborg, it's probably the Spartan-IVs. In addition to having the standard neural implant, they also have an implant that monitors their vitals and whatnot.
When halo was first shown, master chief sounded like a robot

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dR3Hm8scbEw
Exeider wrote:
Dede134 wrote:

Yes, I do.

There's several things wrong with this. First of all, unless John's skeleton gets wi-fi or has minesweeper installed, you can't really count the reinforced bones. They're not mechanical or electronic. The Thyroid implant is just a pill filled with hormones that are released into the body as the pellet is dissolved. It's not a permanent part of his body. It's like saying that after swallowing some Tylenol, you're suddenly a Cyborg. Also, we ALL have Dendrites. They're a part of nerve cells.

And EVERY serviceman and woman in the UNSC has a neural implant. Spartans, at least IIs, just have better ones. If anyone is a Cyborg, it's probably the Spartan-IVs. In addition to having the standard neural implant, they also have an implant that monitors their vitals and whatnot.
Every neural implant monitors vitals.
Chief was meant to be what he is because the fall of reach that explains augmentations was released before CE.
The right definition is augmented human. That's what everyone in the halo universe says and halsey never spoke about cyborgs, being more qualified than us on this.
This was answered in the very first reply.

Let's not be pedantic guys an gals, he very clearly IS a cyborg by definition. Just because he doesn't sound robotic or is still mostly human under his armour, doesn't mean he isn't a cyborg.

This is also clearly stated in other areas of Halo: CE.

But the easy way to solve this if you don't like dictionary definitions....ask Bungie =]
He does have mechanical parts in his head for a neural interface with Cortana but thats about it. John is more Human than machine even though he may not act like it sometimes...

~KRAZY
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4