Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Was Reach difficult for the Covenant?

OP

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Did the Covenant realize the difficulty of invading Reach? Is that why they sent 'the whole damn Covenant fleet!', or was it just another planet to grab and strip to the core for relics? I thought that, even though the Reach campaign only shows the battle of six Spartans, and not the worldwide battle. That and the campaign is not entirely linear, it skips the boring parts and shows only the important stuff.

So, how long did it take the Covenant to defeat the UNSC on Reach? And did they also suffer substantial losses? I like to think that Reach truly was the ultimate battle. Not the last, but the most intense and biggest, where the heavy blows were truly dealt. The typical 'You're going to send us to hell? Yoink! it, I'm gonna drag you down there with me!'

Also, in the game, you see the entire worldwide conflict from levels such as Exodus, Long Night of Solace, New Alexandria (This level especially) and Tip Of The Spear. These show that the UNSC were throwing everything they had at the Covenant, and the Covenant responded with massive attack forces. Was this a precaution because Reach was Humanity's strongest colony, and the base for their entire military force? I think that this would be like a few dozen flagships or frigates trying to invade High Charity (Good luck lol). Except that our equivalent was not as advanced, so fell victim to our enemies.
It wasn't easy per se, but I wouldn't call it difficult. Humanity's most powerful military stronghold falling in a day (essentially), doesn't come across as being overly troublesome.
Quote:
It wasn't easy per se, but I wouldn't call it difficult. Humanity's most powerful military stronghold falling in a day (essentially), doesn't come across as being overly troublesome.
I don't think it was a day. Because in Halo: Reach, six is thrown out of the Long Night Of Solace and then arrives at New Alexandria nine days later. i think...
And that's the problem with Reach's story. It conflicts with the timeline of the novel.
Quote:
Well, they also lost 2/3 of the fleet of Particular Justice in the book. So yes, even when it was a day it was hell for the Covenant.
someone in the novels stated that If they'd lost Reach the duration of the war would be reduced from years/months to weeks, since Reach was the biggest Space craft builder in all of UNSC space.

In late July covenant forces were already attacking small outposts around reach, this was an Omen for the attack, on August 14th, the battle began, and on august 30th, the battle was decided since at that time a 300 vessel fleet arrived
Here's the typical answer: Game canon > EU book canon (EU for expanded universe since that's what the books are). Of course, such an answer is not my own, i am just saying.

In the game, it took several days before Reach finally fell. In the book, it was only a day. It's not the only book/game discrepancy you'll find but even if game canon was prefered, what was the point of writing the books then? I mean retcons are used to fit story elements in but in Reach's case, it's taken to an extreme with the amount of conflicting issues and unexplained elements. The Long Night of Solace making it past the Super Mac guns while the UNSC sits on their thumbs. Really, something that big would have left slip space signatures and would have been destroyed. Then we have the Covenant building Spires and attacking any place that has Forerunner information (I.E Vizergrad). That didn't tip off the local militia or the UNSC? At all? Huh, maybe i was mistaken. I thought this was an planet of great importance. Doesn't seem like it.

After playing a TON of Reach's Campaign, i don't see why Bungie overuled the books cannon, a story could have been feasible still. The first two trailers of Reach really looked as though the planet was going to be invaded but it's terribly downplayed until The Package/Pillar Of Autumn when a real plot finally surfaces in the final product. Except that it's more than halfways into the game and you are pretty done with the game's Campaign and before that, you really aren't doing that much that serves an overall purpose. Coupled with hardly any character development and no emotion makes it hard to believe Bungie was going for an more human story with Reach. Coming off ODST, you'd think they'd be successful but eh......

I give Reach some credit though and it's not all doom n gloom. I liked the story for what it was trying to do and humanity lasted much longer than a day against the Covenant (it seems actually better this way since that means humans went out fighting on Reach. It's a retcon i don't mind as much) but more often than not, it felt as though the story was dragged out in days only to make the actual story longer rather than to serve story purposes alone.
Both the Fall of Reach and the game are canon in terms of the actual battle. It's just that the game used the Reach planetary calendar while the book used the military one. Add in the fact that ONI imposed an information blackout to try and kickstart RED FLAG and you've got a more or less stable and non-contradictory timeline.

As for the Covenant death toll; Reach was the most heavily defended planet besides Earth. Until they started with the glassing, the Covies would've been getting slaughtered groundside. The general rule of the war was that the humans won on the ground but lost the space battle.
Quote:
And that's the problem with Reach's story. It conflicts with the timeline of the novel.
How? The data drops fixed all that.
Quote:
Quote:
I'm guessing it's the fact that they needed to stretch it out with data drops on the website ( instead of the game itself) fixing the issue that's the problem.
Quote:
Quote:
What data drops?I haven't been around for a while.
Quote:
Quote:
Like Cortana in the novel was always on the Pillar of Autumn and Pillar of Autumn was already in space.

But to get back on topic no it really wasn't that difficult for the Covenant to destroy Reach. Especially once the super mac cannons were disabled.
When the Long Night of Solace appears, maybe the generators weren't up and running, this was still early, and before the initial invasion which seemed to be right after the mission Long Night of Solace: 'slip space rupture detected' "" "". And the Supercarrier didn't appear until the Spire was taken out by UNSC Grafton- a teleporter terminal was linked to it, and plus, it was cloaked.

And the attack on the Xeno excavation site was carried out very secretly (3 Zealot-class Elites), and was only realized by ONI/Colonel Holland when the Visegrad relay was taken out.
Unless they are evenly matched (and they never are against the UNSC), then the taking of any planet could be considered easy for the Covenant. They are far more powerful then the UNSC in nearly every way.

The only time the odds get stacked against them, is when the Flood are involved. They always turn their focus to them in either an attempt to contain them, or escape. Which, luckily for the UNSC, allows us to blindside them and strike back.
Quote:
Unless they are evenly matched (and they never are against the UNSC), then the taking of any planet could be considered easy for the Covenant. They are far more powerful then the UNSC in nearly every way.

The only time the odds get stacked against them, is when the Flood are involved. They always turn their focus to them in either an attempt to contain them, or escape. Which, luckily for the UNSC, allows us to blindside them and strike back.
I'm sorry, but covenant are only so strong because a single elite matches a squad of marines... further, ground battles were usually won by UNSC and space by the Covies.

The flood, the covenant doesnt fight the flood unless 100% necessary...
If that was the case, then the UNSC would not get steam-rolled like they do in nearly every battle. Sure, the UNSC has better ground forces, but that doesn't count for anything unless you have air superiority. The Covies wipe us out because we can never gain the upper hand in the air. Every time we think we do, they arrive with reinforcements before we can get a foothold.
I've always maintained that while Reach was the military epicenter of the UNSC, it was caught completely off-guard by the invasion, explaining the Long Night Of Solace's entry into the atmosphere. It was like a Pearl Harbor moment for the UNSC. Sure, both were big military bases, but nobody expected the Covenant/Japanese to actually attack them. Worse, the Covenant had to actually invade and seize hold of the planet once the entirety of the UNSC was alerted that Reach was being besieged. Not to mention that Earth was only a few dozen light-years away. It would be like a modern military force trying right now to invade Norfolk, VA, only an hour drive from Washington D.C. Certainly nobody would expect for a military to do something that recklessly stupid, but it would probably be hell for both sides either way.
Quote:
It was not a single day.

In Honor of those men and women of Naval Intelligence who gave their lives in service of the UNSC at Reach.

25/07/2552-30/08/2552

July 25, 2552 to August 30, 2552

Dates of Halo Reach levels

Winter Contingency: July 24, 2552

July 25, 2552: None though the UNSC is probably getting prepared for battle

ONI Sword Base: July 26, 2552

July 27, 2552 to August 10. 2552: None but by this point the UNSC is in combat

Nightfall: August 11-12, Night fall probably begins on August 11, 2552 and ends on mid night thus ending on August 12, 2552

Tip of the Spear: August 12, 2552

August 13, 2552: None although the battle against he Super Carrier is probably taking place

Long Night of Solace: August 14, 2552

August 15, 2552 - August 22, 2552: By this time the true battle has begun

Exodus: August 23, 2552

New Alexandria: Same day as Exodus but later in the day

August 24, 2552 - August 28, 2552: The battle of Reach is still raging but obviously the UNSC is losing

The Package: August 29, 2552

The Pillar of Autumn: August 30, 2552

Lone Wolf: Same day as The Pillar of Autumn but later in the day

Note: Most of the missions in Halo Reach take place between July 25, 2552 and August 30, 2552, the only exception is Winter contingency which takes place before the 25th.

The memorial wall can be found in Halo 3 ODST.
Relatively speaking? It was probably the hardest-fought battle for the Covenant in the war. But no, it wasn't terribly tough for them. There were something like fifty ships attacking, weren't there? And according to Halo: Reach, there were even some stealth ones already on the surface doing some covert operations. A lot of the stops were pulled out. Though I'm not convinced that the Covenant needed to pull any stops. They were primarily concerned with doing any harm to the Forerunner artifacts on and in the planet, though, so they were probably trying to take it slow.
in The Return, (i believe) the Sangheili shipmaster, while talking about the Battle of Reach, he said something about how "the humans finally put up a good fight" or something along those lines. maybe not terribly hard, but it must have been a challenge for them.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2