Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Was Reach difficult for the Covenant?

OP

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
No! i think the game set well for reach and the story for the game. The books have always been more detailed then the games. But i loved the game.

The coves could have just glossed the planet in my opinion and they were way more advanced in numbers and technology!
I think in Halo: Reach, Reach should have fell in a day like the novel. It would have made everything more dramatic.
Has anyone used the thought that the book starts after the long night of solace in the game? Thats when the main invasion fleet arrives and thats when the spartan II's are called in to fight. They thought it was just a lucky break for the covenant and would be easy to defend before that. It makes sense if you look at it like that. The reason the II's were not called in earlier is they were prepping for a vital mission that was more important than a few lucky covies, its when it all went to crap that they landed again and brought the fight to the enemy.
Quote:
I think in Halo: Reach, Reach should have fell in a day like the novel. It would have made everything more dramatic.
More than likely, you'd be confined to an incredibly small area to play the campaign in if Bungie had decided that 27 hours (dare any of you fight me on that :P) was enough to destroy the might of the UNSC's inner colonies forces.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
And that's the problem with Reach's story. It conflicts with the timeline of the novel.
How? The data drops fixed all that.
What data drops?I haven't been around for a while.
http://www.halopedian.com/Data_drops
anywhooo, back on topic people. The covenant managed to get reach, but lost a ton of ships doing so.
Covenant casualties had to have been in the hundreds of thousands during the month long battle for Reach. The covenant corvettes at least have a crew and ground numbering in the region of several hundred to at least a thousand strong. In the early stages of the campaign there are at least three of these ships attacking Visegrad and the Ice shelf. A Covenant Assault Carrier is estimated to be able field as many as 10,000 or more warriors including the crew.

A Super Carrier at 27 kilometers as to opposed to an assault's 9 kilometers is likely able to hold as many as 50,000 soldiers and various large armoured vehicles i.e. Scarabs, Wraiths, locust walkers etc. This would explain why the covenant had so many soldiers to start with and at such an early stage in the invasion.

It's likely that their were two main large covenant fleet deployments. the First one numbering 300 strong is the fleet to arrive shortly after the destruction of a Long Night Solace. this is the fleet that Keyes and the first reinforcements face in the book the fall of reach. The Second deployment arrives shortly after the destruction of the Super Mac generators. Around the same time as the level Pillar of Autumn begins, this fleet numbers 400 strong and thus has 700 Covenant ships at Reach.

This total was confirmed by both bungie and 343i and appears in the new edited version of the Fall of Reach. (sorry for those who all ready know all this, just making sure people understand).

Anyway my point is that with such a large and never before seen such large numbers of Covenant warships. Since the smallest vessel has at least a few hundred to a thousand troops and the largest as many as 50,000, it is quite possibly that the covenant as whole numbered in the millions at Reach.

As other people have stated, Humanity normally won the battles on the ground and tended to have higher kill ratios than their alien opposites in terms of ground combat. Since the Covenant would have needed troops numbering in the tens or hundreds of thousands to subdue such a well defended and important military target as Reach. then the casualty list must have been incredible, especially as at least two hundred covenant warships were destroyed during the battle out of the over all 700.

So, yes Reach was the hardest and bloodiest fight that both sides had experienced since the early years and battles of the war. Only the battles of Earth surpass reach in terms of scale and loss.

Q. How many civilians made it off reach? does anyone know a figure or a source saying how many civilians survived the fall of reach and by survive I mean flee off world?
Reach was the Covenant's Vietnam. They 'won' for a terrible price.
Quote:
In a single day? You can't be serious.
It has been interpreted in various ways. Although Reach lasted between a day - months (depending on your sources) the Covenenant had lost a large percentage of the fleet used in the battle.
Quote:
It has been interpreted in various ways. Although Reach lasted between a day - months (depending on your sources) the Covenenant had lost a large percentage of the fleet used in the battle.
This screenshot from Halo 3 ODST proves that Reach did not fall in one day, look at the dates.
SPOILER ALLERT

basicly what happened was covenant gets to reach, covenant atack reach, covenant get their but's handed to them by the orbital cannons, covenant sends strikes team to take fusion reactors powering space cannons offline, spartans go blarg and die, MC escapes and reach get ripped a new one.
The Covenant's invasion of Reach began on July 23rd, 2552 when they sent a small detachment of Corvettes and a Supercarrier to Reach in secret. There were major battles in the Viery territory on Reach, and most of the planet was kept in the dark about the planet's imminent fall until August 30th, 2552, when a fleet of 300 Covenant warships arrived in system and then the planet fell within a day due the the substantial weakening of the planet's defences in the months prior and the sheer force of the 300 ships strong Covenant armada.
Quote:
And that's the problem with Reach's story. It conflicts with the timeline of the novel.
Wasn't the book based on the game?

Just like Resident Evil to the movie.
Considering Fall of Reach came out in 2001... no.
Quote:
Quote:
Wasn't the book based on the game?

Just like Resident Evil to the movie.
The book came out long before the game, and they aren't very closely related. Whereas Reach detailed the pathetic adventures of Noble Team, The Fall of Reach showcased a quick timeline of events concerning the Spartans leading up to the Pillar of Autumn's discovery of Halo, with a few natural irregularities.
They sent their whole fleet because of the Forerunner artifacts.
Quote:
It does a little, but not to the extent which you're probably thinking.

OT: It took half a month for Reach to fall, since the main invasion fleet did not arrive until mid August. That's longer than it took other colonies to fall, so I say it was more challenging.
LolBrazlol wrote:
When the Long Night of Solace appears, maybe the generators weren't up and running, this was still early, and before the initial invasion which seemed to be right after the mission Long Night of Solace: 'slip space rupture detected' "" "". And the Supercarrier didn't appear until the Spire was taken out by UNSC Grafton- a teleporter terminal was linked to it, and plus, it was cloaked.

And the attack on the Xeno excavation site was carried out very secretly (3 Zealot-class Elites), and was only realized by ONI/Colonel Holland when the Visegrad relay was taken out.
The super carrier was already cloaked and reinforcing the Covenant Landing zone long before the UNSC was aware of the covenant's presence. It took two weeks to find the staging area after the attack on sword base. The cities of Reach are very populated but when you go past the outskirts, it's very rural and the population is very sparse.
Please don't revive old topics, especially ones that are 7 years old
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2