Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Wasn't the Domain destroyed in Halo: Silentium?

OP ley machine57

Has this been discussed? Was it just lazy writing? Or was the flood-infected essence of Forthchenko simply lying when he told the Librarian that firing the Halo array would destroy the Domain (Halo: Silentium)?
Sorry if this question's been posted, I've been travelling for the last 6 months.
That's one of the biggest mysteries right now. No one has an explanation for why the Domain is around. Was it really destroyed competely? Was it just damaged? If so, who/what fixed it? Is this really the same Domain? Point being there's no explanation currently.
As far as we know right now, it's just lazy writing.
It was addressed in the intel. "Organon gone, Domain in ruin. So much lost..." pqraphrasing. Cortana repairs the domain. But everything that was stored there, all Forerunner knowledge, is apparently lost.

It's definitely not clear what exactly happened but we can guess until Tales from Slipspace.
The domain may have been created by the Precursors. Once the Halo array fired, it may have been incapacitated. It is also stated the the domain seems to have a will of its own, so not much is understood about it.
I've been running with the theory that it is a flood domain. I assume at least some data about the domain was stored before the fall of the forerunner, if so naturally MB would have told the GM about it before their fall. Could it be possible that the original GM, with the knowledge of the precursors, was able to create their own "domain" as a fall back plan. It seems that the GM's have plenty of time on their hands so maybe it was a long term fallback plan MB and GM used as an contingency for if the Halos were successfully used? It fits in nicely with the Cortana logic plague theory. All conjecture but I like my theory. Haha
I've been running with the theory that it is a flood domain. I assume at least some data about the domain was stored before the fall of the forerunner, if so naturally MB would have told the GM about it before their fall. Could it be possible that the original GM, with the knowledge of the precursors, was able to create their own "domain" as a fall back plan. It seems that the GM's have plenty of time on their hands so maybe it was a long term fallback plan MB and GM used as an contingency for if the Halos were successfully used? It fits in nicely with the Cortana logic plague theory. All conjecture but I like my theory. Haha
Why would the flood need a domain? They have neural abilities so powerful they can literally think thoughts across galaxy's. And given how much data a single human brain is capable of storing a gravemind has the combined processing power of millions of humans. It's literally like a human alien super computer so why make something like a repository when your literal existence is a repository.

Lol, I think the real crazy thing is that the Halo's destroyed all life and precursor technology. What if the domain isn't actually a Pre-cusor technology and there is something out there that's beyond them!
Sp00kyM0nk wrote:
The domain may have been created by the Precursors. Once the Halo array fired, it may have been incapacitated. It is also stated the the domain seems to have a will of its own, so not much is understood about it.
I wonder if the domain is actually something they didn't create but found.
Sp00kyM0nk wrote:
Then maybe, just maybe the Domain not only cured Cortana of rampancy, but have manipulated her into working for it. For all we know..Cortana is not evil, but a puppet in the Domain's larger scheme.
Sp00kyM0nk wrote:
I dont have the books on hand, so I cannot give you the exact quote, but they did hint that the Forerunner inherited the Domain from the Precursors. Catalog even recorded statements from the Domain in the Forerunner trilogy.
Sp00kyM0nk wrote:
Sp00kyM0nk wrote:
I dont have the books on hand, so I cannot give you the exact quote, but they did hint that the Forerunner inherited the Domain from the Precursors. Catalog even recorded statements from the Domain in the Forerunner trilogy.
Yeah, I know what you are referring to no need. But what I had meant is what if it's something the Precursors didn't actually create and some being more powerful and inteligent than them exists.
Sp00kyM0nk wrote:
Sp00kyM0nk wrote:
Yeah, I know what you are referring to no need. But what I had meant is what if it's something the Precursors didn't actually create and some being more powerful and inteligent than them exists.
Ha, then nothing is known about them. So far, the Precursors are the first holders of the Mantle. They would need to find a new synonym for Precursor and Forerunner if they exist :)
Why would the flood need a domain? They have neural abilities so powerful they can literally think thoughts across galaxy's. And given how much data a single human brain is capable of storing a gravemind has the combined processing power of millions of humans. It's literally like a human alien super computer so why make something like a repository when your literal existence is a repository.

I'm not saying they would create their own domain for technological reasons or even need it for any other purpose than to infect any surviving forerunners with the logic plague along with all others AI's. The original GM saw how well it was working to have one (extremely powerful) AI against the Forerunners. Even being able to shut down separate forerunner armor systems. After the original GM learned of the domain he decided to create his own as a trojan horse, or fall back idea. After the latest GM torture and interrogation of Cortana, couldn't it be possible that he learned just how much of human society was ran from AIs and is using his new "Domain" to spread his logic plague on an intergalactic level without having to have direct contact with any of them, therefore the remaining sentient societies would never see the flood coming because they're disoriented from Cortanas attack.
It is inferred that it is heavily damaged but to what extent or if it could be repaired is never explored. I tend to think that the domain is a living entity of some sort and the halo array may have done considerable damage. Damage that took centuries to heal.
How or for what purpose it has returned , we still have yet to find out.

I'm not saying they would create their own domain for technological reasons or even need it for any other purpose than to infect any surviving forerunners with the logic plague along with all others AI's. The original GM saw how well it was working to have one (extremely powerful) AI against the Forerunners. Even being able to shut down separate forerunner armor systems. After the original GM learned of the domain he decided to create his own as a trojan horse, or fall back idea. After the latest GM torture and interrogation of Cortana, couldn't it be possible that he learned just how much of human society was ran from AIs and is using his new "Domain" to spread his logic plague on an intergalactic level without having to have direct contact with any of them, therefore the remaining sentient societies would never see the flood coming because they're disoriented from Cortanas attack.
I think we are giving the Gravemind way too much credit here. As powerful and intelligent as it was it was driven by a single desire, consume. Correct me if I'm wrong but I do not recall any evidence of the Flood building technology. Not to mention at the time Humanity was just a insignificant piece of meat to it as we were on the brink of extinction and had no weapons that could pose much of a threat. There was one and only one goal of the GM stop the Halo from firing so it can consume all life. And it accomplished it's goal but could not account for how crazy John-117 is.

To me personally, what you are suggesting is a backup plan of sorts. Had John and Cortana the person you are suggesting is allied with it now stopped it on the Ark it would have been game over for the entire Universe.
I forgot who originally proposed this theory but basically the idea was the physical connections to the Domain was destroyed while the actual domain was still existing in some form. Cortana could have very well discovered a way to create a connection to the Domain while accessing Mantle's Approach's systems or on Requiem.