Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

we've got Marine BDUs all wrong

OP agent texas359

So, this is something that's been bothering the hell out of me ever since I saw Marine Armour in Combat Evolved Anniversary (I'm that generation) particularly the evolutionary history of the equipment and more specifically why they would move away from Kevlar to steel armour during the Insurrection which seems excessively unnecessary and impractical since bullet sizes haven't changed in over 500 years, this coupled with Forward Unto Dawns depiction of Kevlar body armour being used by Cadets at CAMS. This is my logic, the armour that Halopedia and this community tends to refer to as the Insurrectionist Era, the Halo CE and Halo Wars 2 (in game) equipment was actually implemented at the start of Human-Covenant War for front line Marine forces due to the clear ineffectiveness of Kevlar, from here improved designs such as the M52B would surpass it, including the various plasma ablatives and whatnot that would become a mainstay for UNSCEF and UNSCDF units. Of course this isn't taking into consideration the UNSC Army that seems to have either A not upgraded its equipment in 30+ years or B had designed a modular system that enabled Troopers to improve upon the base design (much like the modern kits employed by Coalition forces).
I believe B is the possible answer.
Also, keep in mind it more than expensive to upgrade your armed forces arsenal. Not to mention certain old equipment might be still used by UNSC forces whose equipment is given less priority.
But the fact Marines in H4 and H5 seem to be equipped with a new body armor might suggest 1) There's been an improvement to Kevlar, or 2) Those marines weren't expecting many firefights.
Keep in mind in H4 marines were also seen with metallic(I always believe those were some sort of ceramic armor) armor plate on top of their kevlar vests, which might suggest UNSC has a base MOLLE kevlar vest that could be fielded with additional metallic/ceramic protection plating.
Isn't there Kelver beneath the Reach stuff?
I always assumed that the Reach/cross branch stuff was late war, even with the UNSC Army having outdated weapons.
they changed the buds in CE to kev like they did in reach, they used the same models actually
I'd say B seems most likely. Also, as much as I hate to say it, art style takes presidence over actual canon usefulness.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
Cstriker01 wrote:
they changed the buds in CE to kev like they did in reach, they used the same models actually
The only reason I bring up CE is because the old designs from the original graphics are still considered canon and from the designs coming out of Halo Wars 2 it looks like this is a reintroduction into updated canon.
Yeah, that's what l think too.
The UNSC used Kevlar against the lnsurrectionists but when the Covenant showed up, they had to adapt to the enemies weapons, so Armour came into being again.
Ironic, how after so many years of advancements in military hardware we had to go back to Armour.
Spoiler:
Show
Yeah, that's what l think too.
The UNSC used Kevlar against the lnsurrectionists but when the Covenant showed up, they had to adapt to the enemies weapons, so Armour came into being again.
Ironic, how after so many years of advancements in military hardware we had to go back to Armour.
Spoiler:
Show
the buds in hw1 look like a cross between metal and kev.
\(*o*)/ dope
Cstriker01 wrote:
Spoiler:
Show
the buds in hw1 look like a cross between metal and kev.
\(*o*)/ dope
If I ever go to a Cosplay, I'll dress up as one of those Marines. 😏
Halo: CE is also well after the Covenant came into the picture. Correct me if I'm wrong, but kevlar burns, right? Not very effective against plasma...
You normally don't find the words "practical" and "Halo" in the same sentence...
Wouldn't firing that close absolutely destroy the tank as well? They're long-range weapons, not close-quarters destruction.