Forums / Community / Halo Universe

What did the Primordial say to cause suicide?

OP Agent Knight 03

I'm pretty much done with Halo, both the games and the universe, but there's one thing that I still can't figure out.

The Primordial used the Flood to attack the humans and pull back to make it seem like that they discovered a cure for the it so the Forerunners wouldn't exterminate the humans because the Precursors had plans for humanity (this is confirmed by one of the Didacts in Silentium. There is no cure for the Flood.)

So what did the Primordial say about the Flood to make humans of an advanced race kill themselves? It also says that it was stuff specifically about the Flood. Wouldn't they like finally learning what the Flood is? What is so bad to learn that the Flood was made to eradicate your worst enemy? (Forerunners in this case)

Was the Primordial just being a sadistic -Yoink-? Seriously, what the -Yoink-?
Ummm, the Flood also killed many humans. In fact, wasnt the Flood discovered by humans and San 'Shyuum? In order for the Flood to grow, I can imagine that some of them were consumed...
Ummm, the Flood also killed many humans. In fact, wasnt the Flood discovered by humans and San 'Shyuum? In order for the Flood to grow, I can imagine that some of them were consumed...
See I thought about that, but then it turns out the humans were in on the lie by claiming they had destroyed the cure when the Forerunners captured them. Not something I feel like I'd kill myself over.
I don't remember the Primordial ever saying anything that lead to suicides.

The only thing that comes close in my memory is that humanity genetically modified some volunteers(?) so that their genes (or something like that) would damage the Flood if they were infected.
I don't remember the Primordial ever saying anything that lead to suicides.

The only thing that comes close in my memory is that humanity genetically modified some volunteers(?) so that their genes (or something like that) would damage the Flood if they were infected.
We're not told what it said, but during the original summary of the flood uprise in the human colonies they talk about humans talking to the timelocked primordial and it saying something they clearly didn't like.

I dont think any of the ancient humans mention it happening in primordium, so perhaps it was just a story humans told to spook the forerunners.
We don't actually know what was said to make most of them commit suicide. All we know is that it was about the Flood(allegedly, this is coming from Forerunners afterall). All we know is they asked it specific questions (presumably about the Flood) and it's answers (presumably the true nature of the Flood, the consumption of all life yadda yadda, minus the Precursors part). Ultimately we don't know. It could have been more than just the Flood's nature. The Primordial could have told them Lovecraftian horror-level truths about the nature of reality for all we know. And we all know Lovecraft and Eldritch horror tends to drive mortals insane or kill themselves. But to be fair given that just witnessing normal Flood infection can drive people like hardened marines completely insane in Halo 1-3, imagine what knowing the Flood's true nature could do to someone's mind. Hell we know what it can do to a person's mind. Just look at the Ur-Didact after his little chat with the Primordial/Gravemind in Silentium.
Ditto what brianbeatty says. H.P. Lovecraft whispers of unfathomable colors and inconceivable geometries, truths best unconsidered and facts better unknown. That whole schtick. Everything we've seen of the Precursors is super Lovecraftian.
If you were told by a trusted source that it was the great evil you've been fighting for so long, and that your apparent victories over it had been it letting you win... and on top of it all, everything it has done, and everything it manipulated you into doing, is all per the plan of a race of gods.... you might not be able to handle it either.

Of course we don't know if it told them this, but it would have the effect described in the novel on those who heard it.
Ditto what brianbeatty says. H.P. Lovecraft whispers of unfathomable colors and inconceivable geometries, truths best unconsidered and facts better unknown. That whole schtick. Everything we've seen of the Precursors is super Lovecraftian.
The Flood is, at its core, really, a Lovecraftean horror made manifest in stolen flesh.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not make violent / threatening or discriminatory comments.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It revealed the Colonel's eleven secret herbs and spices.
When ancient humans talked to the Primordial during the struggle of humans vs the Flood vs Forerunners. Humans had genetically modified themselves to damage the flood as stated above. The primordial had told them they had to sacrifice themselves in order for the Forerunners to claim victory. Most of the ancient humans that were told this committed suicide because they flat out refused to believe it or just couldn't.
Forthencho, Lord of Admirals, was one that had heard the primordial and his message of sacrifice, but fought to the very end at CharumHakor. The UrDidact and the Librarian were imposed by the council to save humanity, instead of killing them off and erasing them.
Secretly, the Primordial set the future in motion by giving the humans that demoralizing message, to drive them to suicide. It protected them from being wiped from the galaxy because of Forerunners believing, at the time, them developing a resistance to the Flood.
So the rest of Forthencho forces gave up and he even smiled while being composed, deep down he knew there was no resistance to the flood and it was all a plan by the Primordial to use the flood to extermate the Forerunners.
Even then, after the first reseeding and deevolution of ancient humans on ErdaTyrene by the Librarian, she couldn't figure out how humans reevolved so quickly. (Some people I've talked to tend to think this was the doing of advanced precursor geas, mixed with the Librarians)