Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

What does Halo's story mean to you?

OP CapnDerpwad

As the title says.

There's no right or wrong answer. Not trying to start anything in particular. Just honestly curious what people think.

I'm talking about the sum total of ALL of Halo's story - the games, the novels, the comics, the movies, everything - your favorite installments and your not so favorite installments.

You obviously keep coming back to this franchise for some reason or another, and for those who post frequently in this section, probably primarily because of the storytelling. So, why? What is it about the storytelling that speaks to you? If Halo has become a part of your own personal mythology, what is its primary message?

For me, I can answer pretty easily (and I'm guessing this is a fairly common answer): Halo's story is about HOPE. It's always been about scrappy humanity, alone seemingly without any allies in a horrifying, dangerous galaxy, somehow surviving time and time again when they should by all rights have no chance. The Spartans, in particular (I just mentioned this in a different thread), are a symbol of empowerment to be able to DO something about all the evil in the world around us, as is usually the case with superheroes in any fiction. They represent humanity's best rising to the challenge and showing we can overcome anything against hopeless odds. All of this being intended to add meaning and purpose to the seemingly senseless suffering of the real world.

This question has just been floating thru my head lately as I'm getting back into the franchise again after taking some time off, and the concept of the "mythical story" has been something I've been thinking about a lot lately.
I am in the same boat as you OP. I just started taking a deep dive back into the Halo community and specifically the lore of Halo after a multiple year break from the franchise. I think what really got me excited were the rumors and eventual confirmation of Master Chief Collection coming to PC and the continuing rumors that we might see some kind of Halo ported over to Nintendo Switch. The more platforms the games are available on the better in my book.

Anyway, to address the actual topic you put forth: Halo's story has always appealed to the same parts of my brain that love to learn, grown, and explore. Pretty much all of the macro level conflicts and the resolutions to those conflicts center around pushing deeper into space, finding forerunner relics, encountering new species, etc, etc. All of my favorite stories in the Halo universe evoke a sense of wonder and "dang that's pretty cool". While playing the games specifically, even something as small as picking up a new gun or finding a new vehicle for the first time sets off the "what the hell does this thing do" endorphins. If a Halo story in any medium causes me to ask "what if" by the end of it, it has succeed on some level at least.

If I had to sum it up in one word, I guess I would say "discovery".
I think I'm fairly in tune with Bonnie Ross' recent description of the "spritual reboot" coming in Halo Infinite (time 52.26 in the video here):

https://uk.ign.com/articles/2019/02/26/how-bonnie-ross-is-shaping-the-future-of-halo-a-ign-unfiltered-39

Summary: 343i asked themselves "What does Halo mean to all of us?", and the keywords that emerged were "hope, wonder, heroism and humanity, and bringing our community together", and so that becomes the themes of Halo's "spiritual reboot".

Sounds good to me.

Halo's story has always appealed to the same parts of my brain that love to learn, grown, and explore. Pretty much all of the macro level conflicts and the resolutions to those conflicts center around pushing deeper into space, finding forerunner relics, encountering new species, etc, etc. All of my favorite stories in the Halo universe evoke a sense of wonder and "dang that's pretty cool". While playing the games specifically, even something as small as picking up a new gun or finding a new vehicle for the first time sets off the "what the hell does this thing do" endorphins. If a Halo story in any medium causes me to ask "what if" by the end of it, it has succeed on some level at least.

If I had to sum it up in one word, I guess I would say "discovery".
Yep, that's often another part of it for me too, discovering new stuff, whether subplots, artefacts, weapons or Lore! :-)
It means life.
Thanks for replies all!

I know the buzzwords we've used thus far pretty line up with the same things that 343 identified for the Infinite trailer... but that's because they're good, LOL. I think they identified the correct "feelings", now they just have to follow up with making sure the actual game matches up with what the trailer was trying to shoot for.
Survive, never give up and keep fighting for what you believe in.
Hope,Endurance to the end,unyeilding effort,And of course Wrthog runs.

it is not like any other generic shooter or cough(battle royales)
it acytualy has a story and not just "theres a war to fight"
The Prophets did nothing wrong.
Halo is a story of the best of us, humanity. We conquer the stars, expand beyond our world, and rise above the most insurmountable odds. We create technologies that onced seemed impossible, and through the characters and events, it shows the best of humans. How people are willing to lay down their life for another. And to me personally, Halo will always hold a special place in my heart. I’ve been playing since a kid, and now getting to experience the entire universe is so amazing. Every time I think of Halo, I think of a cool summers night, staying up late and playing Halo CE, looking up to see the ring for the first time. I love this franchise and my dream is to someday be involved with it either for a job or just a hobby.
The Halo series was one of the first video game series I ever fully played. Never gonna get that choir from the main menu out of my head. Halo Reach was the best! But I also liked ODST, with its kinda dark setting.
To be honest Halo’s story brings me back because of its replay ability and interesting characters. Each halo campaign brings a unique and different story from halo reach were once you start you know your days are numbered and you must fight to save the Planet reach to Halo 3 where Chief and the arbiter have to finish the fight against the covenant and the flood with a more hopeful theme to it.
What it means to me?
Wow, where to start?
How about everything.
The story is the thing that sets Halo apart for me. Sure, Call of Duty's campaigns can be fun, but the story? Well, (most of the time) the stories are utter Unggoy excrement.
The characters, the REALISM of the fight to survive in this enormous universe, where we are losing drastically, only to come back with a mighty swing, and regain control.
The extended universe is one to rival any other game's. Rarely do you get a just plain BAD Halo novel. Halo's story, is without a doubt my favorite in all of gaming.
Halos story is a whole different life to me. The Halo universe has so many stories as a whole it's almost like it actually existed. The detail to the Halo universe surpasses any other fictional narrative ever.
As the title says.

There's no right or wrong answer. Not trying to start anything in particular. Just honestly curious what people think.

I'm talking about the sum total of ALL of Halo's story - the games, the novels, the comics, the movies, everything - your favorite installments and your not so favorite installments.

You obviously keep coming back to this franchise for some reason or another, and for those who post frequently in this section, probably primarily because of the storytelling. So, why? What is it about the storytelling that speaks to you? If Halo has become a part of your own personal mythology, what is its primary message?

For me, I can answer pretty easily (and I'm guessing this is a fairly common answer): Halo's story is about HOPE. It's always been about scrappy humanity, alone seemingly without any allies in a horrifying, dangerous galaxy, somehow surviving time and time again when they should by all rights have no chance. The Spartans, in particular (I just mentioned this in a different thread), are a symbol of empowerment to be able to DO something about all the evil in the world around us, as is usually the case with superheroes in any fiction. They represent humanity's best rising to the challenge and showing we can overcome anything against hopeless odds. All of this being intended to add meaning and purpose to the seemingly senseless suffering of the real world.

This question has just been floating thru my head lately as I'm getting back into the franchise again after taking some time off, and the concept of the "mythical story" has been something I've been thinking about a lot lately.
I often ask myself and friends, if I had only one game what would it be. I always say halo. As do they. It’s simply got such a great story/universe. And a amazingly fun and competitive multiplayer. So a great campaign and multiplayer. Plus it’s iconic, it’s the Xbox mascot. It’s been with Xbox since release. For both of them. It’s really unexplainable in detail why I love the franchise. But I started my son on halo MCC and between that and fortnite. It’s all he plays. That says something when an old game draws him in. It has something other games lack.