Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

What if the Arbiter didn’t kill the Heretic?

OP TripleKillB3

Suppose that when 343 Guilty Spark was going to tell the truth of the Halo rings, that the Heretic didn’t immediately lose brain cells and try to kill Arby. Suppose that Arbiter actually gets to listen without interruption. Would he still kill him? What would have happened if he joined their ranks?
that would change the fate of the halo history, when i think about it, it blows my mind
I think they would've been allies if the heretic never shot at Arbiter & let him listen to guilty spark. His death was his own fault tbh. If he truly wanted to persuade arbiter to his side, he could have just let him listen. I think it was just an envy problem right there. Maybe jealous that thel became the arbiter, idk so he took sum shots at him?
I'm not so sure he would've listened. the prophets made it clear to him that what he says is lies and he seemed pretty loyal at the time, plus given how long it took tartarus showed up pretty quickly after his death so he might've just interrupted. I mean it was only after the prophets changed the guard which has never changed for thousands of years, ordered tartarus to kill him, and being held captive by an ancient mass of the dead that he decided to change his mind. and as for the heretic shooting him, keep in mind the entire facility was falling to it's doom and infested with flood forms so he probably realized he was short of time and felt like he needed to finish this up pretty quickly.
Then they would have a double agent who happens to have a direct link to the Prophets AND he's a former ship master and amazing fighter. Maybe the Human/Sangheili alliance would've formed sooner.
I'm not so sure he would've listened. the prophets made it clear to him that what he says is lies and he seemed pretty loyal at the time, plus given how long it took tartarus showed up pretty quickly after his death so he might've just interrupted. I mean it was only after the prophets changed the guard which has never changed for thousands of years, ordered tartarus to kill him, and being held captive by an ancient mass of the dead that he decided to change his mind. and as for the heretic shooting him, keep in mind the entire facility was falling to it's doom and infested with flood forms so he probably realized he was short of time and felt like he needed to finish this up pretty quickly.
Agreed. What the Heretic or Spark might have said would've made no difference....Arby was blinded both by his faith in the Covenant doctrine and by his drive to "atone" for the loss of the halo installation. He needed to experience those later events firsthand for his belief system/mentality to change.
But then we wouldn’t get plot convenience.
i think it would be even cooler if he set up some sort of plot with the heretic leader or allowed him character redemption after the outbreak of the great schism
This is all just me taking knowledge from the games and no comics or books but after thinking about it myself this is what I’ve come up with.
I like to think the Heretic would’ve been a cool ally in the long run but honestly feel like the Arbiter would not have been so easily persuaded in a change of mind on the spot without reason.
Before he finally figures out what happens he witnesses the Elites losing their guard positions to the brutes. The brutes then try to kill him at some point as a direct result of the prophets betrayal. Then he has a meeting with the gravemind, chief, an Oracle, and a former prophet turned flood; receiving multiple views on the Halo rings. Finally he forms an alliance with SGM Johnson to get into the control room only to truly find out and without a doubt believe himself what is the truth.
Probably would be allies and end with The Covenant easier... perhaps...