Forums / Community / Halo Universe

What is energy shielding made of?

OP SPARTON003

Ive read into it and no offical sources say i would like to see what do you think
my theroy is that it is made of stored potental energy
Energy perhaps? :)

Jokes aside, a plasma sword as I understand it is raw plasma in liquid or gas form, that’s suspended in a magnetic field to keep its shape.

Energy shielding may be the same, utilising magnetic fields to suspend a thin film of plasma just above the surface of whatever it’s protecting, which would then vaporise anything coming into contact with it.

alternativly forerunner tech utilised ‘hard light’ to turn light particles into a physical barrier, so energy could operate on the same principle.
timh1990 wrote:

Jokes aside, a plasma sword as I understand it is raw plasma in liquid or gas form, that’s suspended in a magnetic field to keep its shape.

Energy shielding may be the same, utilising magnetic fields to suspend a thin film of plasma just above the surface of whatever it’s protecting, which would then vaporise anything coming into contact with it.

alternativly forerunner tech utilised ‘hard light’ to turn light particles into a physical barrier, so energy could operate on the same principle.
Considering UNSC shields are reverse engineered from an "older" Kig-Yar Point Defense Gauntlet (which is itself basically made of hardlight as far as I can tell), its more than likely an unrefined hardlight form.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
timh1990 wrote:

A few inconsistencies here, just to point out. Plasma is a state of matter like solids, liquids and gases plasma is the fourth. It is essentially super heated gas, which is why energy swords cut through just about anything. With this in mind having plasma based energy shields would probably melt the armor and the unfortunate person inside of it, but it is a really good guess.

As for hardlight while it would be suitable kindo of as a shield it would not work well for a moving object and they function differently from the shields we are used to. Hard light is more of a solid matter (kind of) than direct energy. All three factions that use energy shielding use a very similar system to each other, just hop on Halo 3 and shoot at some, Spartans, Elites and Sentinels. All of these shields will react in a very similar way, even Covenant vehicles will have shielding like this.

Now I am no scientist so I cannot breakdown the details of a fictional shield i a way that makes complete sense, but I can go off what we know.

Energy shields are exactly what they say they are, energy. To put simply. In the more detailed terms it is a field of energized particles that cover a surface, i.e your helmet or armor. These particles then deflect objects that will impact the shield, I do not know the physics behind this but this is the limit to my knowledge on the matter. I assume that the energy is focused using magnetic fields like the energy swords but instead of plasma it is these energized particles.

Hope you enjoyed the science lesson :P
UNSC energy shields are based off of covananat jackal shields witch are made of plasma
UNSC energy shields are based off of covananat jackal shields witch are made of plasma
Ah the deconstructed gauntlet point, I was expecting this but didn't bother to address it last night in my first post. Yes, the human shields are based off the jackal defense gauntlets but not in the way most people think. the characteristic that was mainly observed when the gauntlet was taken apart was the magnetic field holding the plasma in shape, this and the power source.

Anyway, they did not just cram the jackal shield indite a suit of armor and make it take the shape, they redesigned it so that it would suit their purpose. In the state humanity was in when the shields were first being produced there is a slim chance they would have access to the amount of plasma to cover an entire suit, so an army of spartans would be a reeeealy big stretch.

As I said before all of the basic energy shields for all three factions are near identical, even different class of shields still share the same properties, ship shields and vehicle shields for example. There are a few wiki pages about this subject. Now I have looked everywhere and I mean everywhere, even diving into Halsey's journal, and the only shield system I could find based on plasma is the jackal defense gauntlet, which isn't even classed together with the other energy shield groups.
Well I'm jut going to give my perspective (which I'm humble enough to accept that it may be wrong). The main theories is that its either plasma or hard light. My money is on plasma and here's why.
Plasma doesn't necessarily have to be hot, plasma is when the electrons are ripped away from the nucleus and you just have a soup of electrons and nucleus floating around which can be done without producing much heat, like fluorescent tubes and plasma balls which produce little heat. Another thing, plasam can be given many properties depending on how it was made for example, the plasma window is a device that literally blocks air molecules which means that the idea of plasma window being made for solid objects is not far off.
Another thing that will help plasma repel objects is its ability to repel normal atoms away. Remember how I said that its basically a soup of free floating electrons, well this soup will repel against any electrons orbiting unionized atoms.
There could be many possibilities on how the plasma is given this specific property of interacting with matter but not gas. But in the end, one thing seems certain, that plasma seems like the main culprit in making energy shields.

Remember I can be wrong, so guys go ahead on either dissecting this idea or tearing it apart, I don't mind.
Well I'm jut going to give my perspective (which I'm humble enough to accept that it may be wrong). The main theories is that its either plasma or hard light. My money is on plasma and here's why.
Plasma doesn't necessarily have to be hot, plasma is when the electrons are ripped away from the nucleus and you just have a soup of electrons and nucleus floating around which can be done without producing much heat, like fluorescent tubes and plasma balls which produce little heat. Another thing, plasam can be given many properties depending on how it was made for example, the plasma window is a device that literally blocks air molecules which means that the idea of plasma window being made for solid objects is not far off.
Another thing that will help plasma repel objects is its ability to repel normal atoms away. Remember how I said that its basically a soup of free floating electrons, well this soup will repel against any electrons orbiting unionized atoms.
There could be many possibilities on how the plasma is given this specific property of interacting with matter but not gas. But in the end, one thing seems certain, that plasma seems like the main culprit in making energy shields.

Remember I can be wrong, so guys go ahead on either dissecting this idea or tearing it apart, I don't mind.
Plasma can be used in shielding, and it is infact used in shielding in the jackal's defense gauntlet, however in the case of energy shielding a different method is used. This is in the form of energized particles, this energized particle system is used for almost all shielding systems in the game, I'm not sure if there is a lore reason for this and lord knows I am no scientist but I imagine this would be more simple to create that plasma based weaponry. Especially with what resources the UNSC uses.

You also said that it could be hardlight, unfortunately a hardlight shield would be a good bet as far as we know the forerunners are the only faction to utilize hardlight well. If you look at the effects of hardlight in game it is funamentally different than how every other Spartan/ Elite shield. If you hop on Halo 4 and take a few shots at a knight you will see how their shield reacts compared to an Elite. This does show it is possible but at the moment it is not incorporated into any UNSC or Covenant shield systems, (that I know of).

Plasma can be used in shielding, and it is infact used in shielding in the jackal's defense gauntlet, however in the case of energy shielding a different method is used. This is in the form of energized particles, this energized particle system is used for almost all shielding systems in the game, I'm not sure if there is a lore reason for this and lord knows I am no scientist but I imagine this would be more simple to create that plasma based weaponry. Especially with what resources the UNSC uses.

You also said that it could be hardlight, unfortunately a hardlight shield would be a good bet as far as we know the forerunners are the only faction to utilize hardlight well. If you look at the effects of hardlight in game it is funamentally different than how every other Spartan/ Elite shield. If you hop on Halo 4 and take a few shots at a knight you will see how their shield reacts compared to an Elite. This does show it is possible but at the moment it is not incorporated into any UNSC or Covenant shield systems, (that I know of).
Energized particle could either be either a form of exotic matter or plasma. Oh and I completely forgot, plasma can be transparent to a certain extent. If you look closely the energy sword is transparent, so it could make sense that the energy shield is basically transparent plasma.
Quote:
Energized particle could either be either a form of exotic matter or plasma. Oh and I completely forgot, plasma can be transparent to a certain extent. If you look closely the energy sword is transparent, so it could make sense that the energy shield is basically transparent plasma.
I don't deny plasma can be used as a shield I just don't think it would be used on a large scale by the UNSC. Just imagine the amount of plasma needed to shield the entirety of Infinity and all the Spartans on board.

Personally if it was my choice when creating the lore for these things i'd have just said it was pure electricity, I love the image of Master Chief walking around Infinity with a charger looking for an outlet because his shields are down.
The best explanation for on how they coat entire ships in energy shielding is the use of multiple energy shield emitters instead of one big one, and this could also be applied to other things like the spartan suits and vehicles.
The best explanation for on how they coat entire ships in energy shielding is the use of multiple energy shield emitters instead of one big one, and this could also be applied to other things like the spartan suits and vehicles.
But then how does the entire shield shut down if only one section is damaged? Sounds like a really big design flaw if this was the case, this also doesn't really solve the issue of getting the plasma or the surface area the shield needs to cover.
But then how does the entire shield shut down if only one section is damaged? Sounds like a really big design flaw if this was the case, this also doesn't really solve the issue of getting the plasma or the surface area the shield needs to cover.
The best explanation is that all the generators are connected to one power source, when one part of the shielding gets bombarded enough, the power source keeping the shield up can't take it and kind of shuts down. Once the main power source for the shielding system shuts down, then the entire energy shielding grid fails. That's my take on it, I could be wrong, so tell me if I am and let's continue the discussion.
The best explanation is that all the generators are connected to one power source, when one part of the shielding gets bombarded enough, the power source keeping the shield up can't take it and kind of shuts down. Once the main power source for the shielding system shuts down, then the entire energy shielding grid fails. That's my take on it, I could be wrong, so tell me if I am and let's continue the discussion.
Personally that all just seems like too much trouble when the same effect can be achieved with a bigger shield generator.