Forums / Community / Halo Universe

What is John-117's last name?

OP Sydney B021

Every other Spartan-II has a last name except John-117. Why is that? You would the think that the main protagonist of the Halo franchise would at least have a last name!!!!
I'm pretty sure we don't even have first names for all of the Spartan 2s, much less last names for all of them, and I believe part of the reasoning behind that is showing how much of their original identity was taken away when they were conscripted to be Spartans.

It could also be a factor that a last name for John is just a topic the writers didn't want to go into, possibly because surnames are so closely tied to cultures and races... which are largely irrelevant for a distant future where people are born on alien worlds, but still carries meaning in the present day.
JNDreher wrote:
I'm pretty sure we don't even have first names for all of the Spartan 2s, much less last names for all of them, and I believe part of the reasoning behind that is showing how much of their original identity was taken away when they were conscripted to be Spartans.

It could also be a factor that a last name for John is just a topic the writers didn't want to go into, possibly because surnames are so closely tied to cultures and races... which are largely irrelevant for a distant future where people are born on alien worlds, but still carries meaning in the present day.
Escuse me? All S2s have 1st names
JNDreher wrote:

Escuse me? All S2s have 1st names
What about the unidentified Spartan killed by Ustaf 'Nbekee on Harvest?
The Chief started out as a ghost in the shell. His last name was, in a sense, your last name. You were meant to be the Chief when Bungie started this whole franchise. If you ignore the extended lore, Chief doesn't even have a name. Throughout CE he's just referred to as "Chief" or "Master Chief", even by Cortana.

But even if you take the extended lore into account, you have to ask yourself an important question: does his last name even matter? The Chief is a legendary figure in the Halo universe. Even his first name is not very significant. The name John is very common. His name was never meant to be integral to his character. Merely a way to identify him. So I'd argue that his last name is even less significant.
His last name doesn't matter. None of the Spartans' last names matter. The fact that we've received last names for most of the known Spartan IIs but NOT Chief's makes it seem like it should matter. That's the part that bugs some people.
Spartan 2s last names names are classified, so that people wont know who they really are and they wont know their families ( the SPARTANS were brainwashed.) The only thing that they must know is war.
At this point, I'm not sure that John even knows. He's been John-117 ever since he was 6 years old. It's even possible that nobody knows at all. We don't know if any of John's family survived the war, and any files that have a record of his last name might have been destroyed too.
For why his last name has never been revealed by either Bungie or 343, Bungie wanted to allow the player to put themselves in Master Chief's place, and so intentionally avoided releasing information about him. During all of Combat Evolved, he is only referred to as Master Chief, or just Chief. It wasn't until The Fall of Reach that he was named. When 343 took over, they continued the tradition.
@Jebsquared That kind of makes me sad, thinking about it. This stuff puts Halo in a darker context. (Brainwashing, etc.)
His last name is
Spoiler:
Show
Noobbula wrote:
@Jebsquared That kind of makes me sad, thinking about it. This stuff puts Halo in a darker context. (Brainwashing, etc.)
It goes to show that ONI, and by proxy, the UNSC, aren't necessarily the 'Good Guys'. Sure, they are who we fight for in the games, but they've done some very dark stuff. I think it makes Halo more realistic, as so many sci-fi governments seem like the Federation from Star Trek, and can do no wrong. It's nice to see a sci-fi human government that has a dark side.
Jebsquared wrote:
Noobbula wrote:
It goes to show that ONI, and by proxy, the UNSC, aren't necessarily the 'Good Guys'. Sure, they are who we fight for in the games, but they've done some very dark stuff. I think it makes Halo more realistic, as so many sci-fi governments seem like the Federation from Star Trek, and can do no wrong. It's nice to see a sci-fi human government that has a dark side.
No kidding! (Isn't the Federation mildly corrupt sometimes?)
Actually most of the S-II we know of don’t all have their last names declassified, only the main S-II’s really. The reason why John’s isn’t revealed is because he’s the main character and needs that mystery to him. That’s why I think they won’t reveal it.
Jebsquared wrote:
At this point, I'm not sure that John even knows. He's been John-117 ever since he was 6 years old. It's even possible that nobody knows at all. We don't know if any of John's family survived the war, and any files that have a record of his last name might have been destroyed too.
I think you're right that John doesn't know his last name, but at least Cortana possibly knows. The Warden Eternal said as much during H5 when he was taunting John: "she knows your forgotten name. Who you were before you were 117". That quote is from memory so it might not be exactly accurate, but the point is that while Chief doesn't know, Cortana certainly seems to, assuming the Warden Eternal wasn't lying just to mess with him.
How last name is [REDACTED]
J kid789 wrote:
How last name is [REDACTED]
Dam LOLOL