Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

what is your least favorite work of Halo lore?

OP bornfromfire9

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6
'Halo 5'
- disjointed narrative
- inconsistent with prior lore and narrative set-up
- cliché that came out of nowhere
- zero character devlopment
- highly questionable themes
- ridiculously uneven campaign split
- blatant false advertising/lies from devlopers
You mispealt sumthing.

But seriously, Halo 5 still is gonna make us mad forever, huh?
I have to say my biggest disappointment with the EU would have to be the constant retelling of the Reach story. I'm very versatile with the canon and understand fluidity, but damn that story has been told too many times.
Halo 5 and the Kilo five trilogy.
I can ignore all of the other -Yoink- expanded universe content like Kilo 5 and Escalation, to a certain extent.

I can't, however, ignore Halo 5 because it's a mainline Halo game. And for that, it's my least favorite piece of Halo lore.
Halo 2. ODST is a close second. Story from the Covenants point of view was a big no-no. I'd like to retcon everything after CE, but still incorporate the majority of H4--especially Spartan ops. God it was epic; too ba it turned out the way it did in 5.
Everything about the forerunner saga. Don't get me wrong, I loved the forerunner's history, but it ruined the fantastical idea of the godly forerunners. Also it revealed too much to quickly. To paraphrase a rampant AI, "The knowledge...so much, so fast...it's...quite a downer!"
First, for me, is the Kilo Five trilogy. It's more than annoyance, I truly hate these novels. I don't know how they made it past review (seriously? A Spartan punching Halsey in the face who's head doesn't explode like a melon?) but I truly hate them for the massive effect they had on the future Halo games. The overly political, double-espionage, "super realistic" themes, the "deep" emotional and moral quandaries... I mean, really? ONI Sec. 3 would just hand over highly classified records (that should have been destroyed) to some random ODST squad so they can get all ragey over it? Terrible.

Personally I think that Halo 4, SpOps, and 5 were done to break from the Karen Travissty effects. Now we've got to deal with a bigger threat to the galaxy, rather than Parangosky and her flying monkey Osman.

Second is Halo Legends. Yes, it got anime fans all excited, but I just plain didn't like it. I take the plot as canon, but the manner in which they were presented was annoying. The Sangheili in the Arbiter one were super annoying; the female was too cutesy and gentle, and the Sangheili who was forced to kill her was a pathetic, simpering weakling, unbecoming of even a Sangheili child.

And the Package? Has it ever been explained just how Halsey was captured? That's not how an Arbiter is chosen. And I don't care how they retcon it, Mr. "I'm such a fan of the games" meant for that Thel to be the future Arbiter. It was just terrible, all around.
I'd like to retcon everything after CE,
Why?
Halo Uprising. It has zero reason for existence.
JV11077 wrote:
Why?
Because the Arbtier that's why. And the fact that we made alliances with "good" aliens and then the whole thing takes a cliched Gene Roddenbery turn. I liked the Starship Troopers-esque fascist approach of CE and the novels by Eric Nylund--the "us" vs "them" narrative became the Chief N Arby show. I wanted humans to overcome the great Covenant under their own power. I just wanted to know the aliens were bad and it was either us or them that faced extinction. Things just had bigger sense of direness and in CE and the EN novels.
Halo Uprising. It has zero reason for existence.
Yup. Marvel's input into the franchise was unnecessary PERIOD. And it's mostly based off that POS H2 no less. (Sigh)...
- highly questionable themes
Halo 5 had themes?
JV11077 wrote:
Why?
Because the Arbtier that's why. And the fact that we made alliances with "good" aliens and then the whole thing takes a cliched Gene Roddenbery turn. I liked the Starship Troopers-esque fascist approach of CE and the novels by Eric Nylund--the "us" vs "them" narrative became the Chief N Arby show. I wanted humans to overcome the great Covenant under their own power. I just wanted to know the aliens were bad and it was either us or them that faced extinction. Things just had bigger sense of direness and in CE and the EN novels.
In the sense that no one thinks the Imperium of Man would be a nice place to live, but we all like watching their -Yoink--backwards antics anyway?
S 000 DeM wrote:
JV11077 wrote:
Why?
In the sense that no one thinks the Imperium of Man would be a nice place to live, but we all like watching their -Yoink--backwards antics anyway?
Precisely.
Because the Arbtier that's why. And the fact that we made alliances with "good" aliens and then the whole thing takes a cliched Gene Roddenbery turn.
Why bother playing Halo at all, then?
The Next 72 hours story arc of Halo Escalation was pretty bad
Halo 5.

I mean, there's been other stuff I'm not a fan of, or disliked. But I don't know how the narrative could possibly be salvaged at this point short of making another halo 5.
Because the Arbtier that's why. And the fact that we made alliances with "good" aliens and then the whole thing takes a cliched Gene Roddenbery turn.
Why bother playing Halo at all, then?
Because I hoped that it would one day get back on track. And it did with H4...only to get derailed again with the tired AI uprising.
Halo 5.

I mean, there's been other stuff I'm not a fan of, or disliked. But I don't know how the narrative could possibly be salvaged at this point short of making another halo 5.
Preach. I Hope it's one big War Games simulation.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. ...
  7. 6