Forums / Community / Halo Universe

what Lockes character should have been

OP UbermenschHans6

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
If you were in charge of desiging Locke as a character what should he have been like?
I actually liked Locke as a character. It was more the dominance of his character ruling the primary parts of gameplay in the Halo 5 story arc that I didn't like.
But I think he was an interesting and well-balanced character.
Former ONI who had at one point tried to target Thel Vadam, and whilst he could recognise the darker sides of ONI and justify them as his comrades doing those things and he'd even defend those things, he didn't seem inclined to live that way himself.
During Halo 5 and even in Nightfall he conducted himself honourably and respectfully.
Even when Thel (Arbiter) makes the jab about ONI coming out of the shadows, Locke holds himself respectfully towards Thel.
During the missions of hunting down Blue Team, the dialogue has him trying his best to understand John as a man and a Spartan. Then during the backup/retrieval of Blue Team phase, he shows his deep respect for the Chief and Blue Team.

I never felt like he and Osiris were "key" characters. I felt like they were windows into the UNSC and the Chief and Blue Team from the perspective of the regular kind of person within the UNSC. Of course, none of them were regular soldiers, but they were all small time compared to the Spartan II's, so their view on the UNSC, the Covenant, Forerunner stuff and Blue Team was a new perspective to Halo's virtual story depiction.

Drawling answer!
His character was fine. What went wrong was his introduction as a replacement for Master Chief. You don't just "replace" Master Chief. Even if his character is retired, you don't put the new protagonists on the Master Chief pedestal. It's just not done, and Locke's potential popularity suffered because it was attempted.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I like Locke as a character, but his no nonsense, mission first attitude didn't quite convey the subtle character changes that he made. While he respects the Chief, he knew he had a job to do and wouldn't let his own reservations inhibit his ability to perform his duty.
With that said, he did show his talent, going toe to toe with the Legendary Spartan, and while he got in a few good shots, experience(luck?) trumped his skills. He even managed to eliminate Jul, a testament to his superior skills over many other Spartans.
I feel, if given the chance by both gamers and the writers, he could become the protagonist the series could continue with. Not as Chiefs replacement but as another character for the series to grow with. Maybe even portray that in the games, Locke knows he'll never be like the Chief, but he would like the opportunity to try.
I think he's a good character with a lot of potential.
I like Locke as a character, but his no nonsense, mission first attitude didn't quite convey the subtle character changes that he made. While he respects the Chief, he knew he had a job to do and wouldn't let his own reservations inhibit his ability to perform his duty.
With that said, he did show his talent, going toe to toe with the Legendary Spartan, and while he got in a few good shots, experience(luck?) trumped his skills. He even managed to eliminate Jul, a testament to his superior skills over many other Spartans.
I feel, if given the chance by both gamers and the writers, he could become the protagonist the series could continue with. Not as Chiefs replacement but as another character for the series to grow with. Maybe even portray that in the games, Locke knows he'll never be like the Chief, but he would like the opportunity to try.
Real shame what they did. Blue Team could easily have its own spinoff. Osiris has potential for that too. But Halo 5 chucked them together in such a way that we didn't see enough of any of them, with the exception of Locke.

Totally agree with you on how Locke ended up. From the dialogue with Buck and Thel, he seems like his first priority is to go wherever ONI sends him, regardless of his personal feelings. However that all goes out the window the minute he gets a hunch the Chief is in trouble?

He ends up a character without purpose and without purpose, what is a character? The bold move would have been to stick with the narrative from the teaser trailers: John and Locke both believe so much in what they're doing, that one has to fail.

The immediate trouble here is there no way to work in Spartan-on-Spartan conflict in the campaign (imagine how quickly it would be over, or otherwise how far removed it would be from the multiplayer experience, not to mention the aversion to killing humans in-game). But Locke ended up being the centre of the story, and not really having a purpose, which reflected on the story as a whole.
juhoxxx wrote:
They should have made him w.. Never mind I don't want another ban for a joke.
It probably would've turned out to be worth it.
He wasn't a terrible character. He just had way too much play time. And because of this, a lot of the community hate Osiris. They've begun to replace Chief.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not repost content a moderator has removed, repost a topic that has been locked, or post about forum moderation decisions. If you have a question or concern about a forum moderation decision, please private message the applicable moderator.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please refrain from making posts that do not contribute to the topic at hand.
Spoiler:
Show
Spoiler:
Show
LoxtonA01 wrote:
I actually liked Locke as a character. It was more the dominance of his character ruling the primary parts of gameplay in the Halo 5 story arc that I didn't like.
Former ONI who had at one point tried to target Thel Vadam, and whilst he could recognise the darker sides of ONI and justify them as his comrades doing those things and he'd even defend those things, he didn't seem inclined to live that way himself.
During Halo 5 and even in Nightfall he conducted himself honourably and respectfully.
Even when Thel (Arbiter) makes the jab about ONI coming out of the shadows, Locke holds himself respectfully towards Thel.
During the missions of hunting down Blue Team, the dialogue has him trying his best to understand John as a man and a Spartan. Then during the backup/retrieval of Blue Team phase, he shows his deep respect for the Chief and Blue Team.

I never felt like he and Osiris were "key" characters. I felt like they were windows into the UNSC and the Chief and Blue Team from the perspective of the regular kind of person within the UNSC. Of course, none of them were regular soldiers, but they were all small time compared to the Spartan II's, so their view on the UNSC, the Covenant, Forerunner stuff and Blue Team was a new perspective to Halo's virtual story depiction.

Drawling answer!
Osiris were a refreshing in the sense that they offered a different perspective I couldn't agree more. I felt they were a much better representation of the new generation of Spartans vs the old.
As for Locke as a character again I agree I thought his character was not so bad, respectful and professional through and through, albeit I expect little bit more motivation out of him other than the fact its his job to hunt the Master Chief.

It was advertised extensively that Locke intended to be ruthless in his hunt for a number of reasons, which were completely removed in the final game which was a bit disappointing given that he was supposed to have a huge personal investment in finding the Master chief and thus figuring out his role in the Guardians rising, whether he and Blue team were causing the crisis or were just caught up in it like them. I felt that these were lacking in the final game but that's not to say he cant be expanded on in the future.
LoxtonA01 wrote:

Drawling answer!
Osiris were a refreshing in the sense that they offered a different perspective I couldn't agree more. I felt they were a much better representation of the new generation of Spartans vs the old.
As for Locke as a character again I agree I thought his character was not so bad, respectful and professional through and through, albeit I expected a little bit more motivation out of him other than the fact its his job to hunt the Master Chief.

It was advertised extensively that Locke intended to be ruthless in his hunt for a number of reasons, which were completely removed in the final game which was a bit disappointing given that he was supposed to have a huge personal investment in finding the Master chief and thus figuring out his role in the Guardians rising, whether he and Blue team were causing the crisis or were just caught up in it like them. I felt that these were lacking in the final game but that's not to say he cant be expanded on in the future.
LoxtonA01 wrote:

Drawling answer!
This is exactly how I feel. Locke was a great character. He didn't necessarily have much "character development" but more and more throughout the story it revealed how honorable he was, and how much he was willing to put on the line to save blue team. I really like how despite him trying to complete his mission and follow orders he never really lost faith in John.
Real shame what they did. Blue Team could easily have its own spinoff. Osiris has potential for that too. But Halo 5 chucked them together in such a way that we didn't see enough of any of them, with the except of Locke.

Totally agree with you on how Locke ended up. From the dialogue with Buck and Thel, he seems like his first priority is to go wherever ONI sends him, regardless of his personal feelings. However that all goes out the window the minute he gets a hunch the Chief is in trouble?

He ends up a character without purpose and without purpose, what is a character? The bold move would have been to stick with the narrative from the teaser trailers: John and Locke both believe so much in what they're doing, that one has to fail.

The immediate trouble here is there no way to work in Spartan on Spartan conflict in the campaign (imagine how quickly it would be over, or otherwise how far removed it would be from the multiplayer experience, not to mention the aversion to killing humans in-game). But Locke ended up being the centre of the story, and not really having a purpose, which reflected on the story as a whole.
I actually enjoyed the shifting of his agenda. To me it revealed his inner sense of honor and faith were able to trump his desire to just carry out the mission. It's what makes him a good character. He has complexity.
Real shame what they did. Blue Team could easily have its own spinoff. Osiris has potential for that too. But Halo 5 chucked them together in such a way that we didn't see enough of any of them, with the except of Locke.

The immediate trouble here is there no way to work in Spartan on Spartan conflict in the campaign (imagine how quickly it would be over, or otherwise how far removed it would be from the multiplayer experience, not to mention the aversion to killing humans in-game). But Locke ended up being the centre of the story, and not really having a purpose, which reflected on the story as a whole.
I actually enjoyed the shifting of his agenda. To me it revealed his inner sense of honor and faith were able to trump his desire to just carry out the mission. It's what makes him a good character. He has complexity.
Totally agree with you in principle, just don't think it was very well executed. They didn't give it room to breathe - too much crammed in too short a campaign.
I would have written locke as he was originally presented, a badass assassin. But then since they wanted him to be chiefs replacement they had this strange dichotomy where he was almost too nice? I think it would have been cool if he was more assassin like and cold but slowly realized who the good guys were as the story unfolded. The real problem was the story in general, it felt forced... the whole traitor thing was a great teaser with a ton of potential that was completely abandoned in the game.
Locke himself wasn't bad. However, I wish Osiris was more of a Stealth and Acquisition squad. I felt the missions in some cases should have been in reverse. Blue Team killing Jul M'Dama while Osiris scuttled the Argent Moon. I personally liked Osiris more as individuals from their own respective stories I feel Halo 5 did neither of them justice.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2