Forums / Community / Halo Universe

what Lockes character should have been

OP UbermenschHans6

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I'd want him to always keep secrets from his team. He'd tell each Spartan different versions of the truth to make sure he was always one step ahead of everyone. Throughout the campaign, he'd have to learn to trust his team and trust that what Master Chief was doing was the right thing.
I like Locke as a character, but his no nonsense, mission first attitude didn't quite convey the subtle character changes that he made. While he respects the Chief, he knew he had a job to do and wouldn't let his own reservations inhibit his ability to perform his duty.
With that said, he did show his talent, going toe to toe with the Legendary Spartan, and while he got in a few good shots, experience(luck?) trumped his skills. He even managed to eliminate Jul, a testament to his superior skills over many other Spartans.
I feel, if given the chance by both gamers and the writers, he could become the protagonist the series could continue with. Not as Chiefs replacement but as another character for the series to grow with. Maybe even portray that in the games, Locke knows he'll never be like the Chief, but he would like the opportunity to try.
I think he's a good character with a lot of potential.
Real shame what they did. Blue Team could easily have its own spinoff. Osiris has potential for that too. But Halo 5 chucked them together in such a way that we didn't see enough of any of them, with the except of Locke.

Totally agree with you on how Locke ended up. From the dialogue with Buck and Thel, he seems like his first priority is to go wherever ONI sends him, regardless of his personal feelings. However that all goes out the window the minute he gets a hunch the Chief is in trouble?

He ends up a character without purpose and without purpose, what is a character? The bold move would have been to stick with the narrative from the teaser trailers: John and Locke both believe so much in what they're doing, that one has to fail.

The immediate trouble here is there no way to work in Spartan on Spartan conflict in the campaign (imagine how quickly it would be over, or otherwise how far removed it would be from the multiplayer experience, not to mention the aversion to killing humans in-game). But Locke ended up being the centre of the story, and not really having a purpose, which reflected on the story as a whole.
I actually enjoyed the shifting of his agenda. To me it revealed his inner sense of honor and faith were able to trump his desire to just carry out the mission. It's what makes him a good character. He has complexity.
Totally agree with you in principle, just don't think it was very well executed. They didn't give it room to breathe - too much crammed in too short a campaign.
The whole narrative could have been executed better lol. Can't disagree with you at all buddy.
If I could change locke, It wouldn't be locke. I wasn't a fan of his character to be honest. To me he was just a mercenary.
I don't mind him as a character but he isn't fleshed out enough to become the main character of a halo game. especially with master chief here.
LoxtonA01 wrote:
I actually liked Locke as a character. It was more the dominance of his character ruling the primary parts of gameplay in the Halo 5 story arc that I didn't like.
But I think he was an interesting and well-balanced character.
Former ONI who had at one point tried to target Thel Vadam, and whilst he could recognise the darker sides of ONI and justify them as his comrades doing those things and he'd even defend those things, he didn't seem inclined to live that way himself.
During Halo 5 and even in Nightfall he conducted himself honourably and respectfully.
Even when Thel (Arbiter) makes the jab about ONI coming out of the shadows, Locke holds himself respectfully towards Thel.
During the missions of hunting down Blue Team, the dialogue has him trying his best to understand John as a man and a Spartan. Then during the backup/retrieval of Blue Team phase, he shows his deep respect for the Chief and Blue Team.

I never felt like he and Osiris were "key" characters. I felt like they were windows into the UNSC and the Chief and Blue Team from the perspective of the regular kind of person within the UNSC. Of course, none of them were regular soldiers, but they were all small time compared to the Spartan II's, so their view on the UNSC, the Covenant, Forerunner stuff and Blue Team was a new perspective to Halo's virtual story depiction.

Drawling answer!
What he/ she said. Nothing is wrong with his character or osiris as a whole really. I lay the majority of the issues with halo 5 single player with an incredibly uninteresting story. Not uninteresting due to complexity it was just a boring and scatty story
I think Locke would have been more interesting if he had been portrayed more like in Hunt the Truth. He would be fundamentally identical to how he acts in Halo 5, but he would be driven to take down/kill the Chief because he believed that Master Chief betrayed humanity. He would be personally invested in finding the Chief and bringing him to justice/killing him until he realises the Truth about what Chief is actually doing and then the rest would play out like in Halo 5.
I think this would have been more interesting and given Locke's character more depth than the current polite mercenary he seems to be.
On the whole I don't mind his character (after all Chief wasn't much better in the first game) but now that we have such a host of characters Locke needs something special to stand out amongst the crowd.

Overall though a lot of Halo 5 was badly executed and seems like a downgrade compared to Halo 4s story. But I think Hunt the Truth spoiled Halo 5 for us as it teased us a story and characters that weren't really the same as the final product. Add to that fact that Locke takes up the majority of the game, rumors that he will replace Chief and its understandable why fans dislike Locke.

Hopefully 343 will give him his own game, or give him another chance as I really think Locke could be a well liked by fans.
JNDreher wrote:
His character was fine. What went wrong was his introduction as a replacement for Master Chief. You don't just "replace" Master Chief. Even if his character is retired, you don't put the new protagonists on the Master Chief pedestal. It's just not done, and Locke's potential popularity suffered because it was attempted.
I agree.
In a nutshell: Great character, terrible delivery.
i wouldn't have made locke.
I feel like Locke needs more direction. At times, he felt too soft to have been and ONI Agent. On other occassions, he felt like an empty shell whose only purpose was to give orders. His character in Nighfall and his character in Halo 5 felt different to me. He needs consistency. I also felt like his character needs a place. He was just there at times and felt like a cheif admirer at others. I don't feel like a fan boy makes for a cool character. He needed to be a stark contrast to Cheif or at least take a firm, clear cut position that would set him apart.
I would have made him a real -Yoink-, like Saren before the fall. He would play people against each other, send people in as meat shields, trip alarms to act as a distraction no matter who it damns, steal tech/transports etc. all in his effort to bring the MC in....of course the story would be different too, ya know, good and stuff.
I like lockes character. I've always enjoyed the calm special agent type characters who's only problems are carrying out their orders. but I definitely would not have made the game more about him then chief. you can't just shift the face of halo like that.
I could care less about Locke. I'm not angry about him existing, I just wish I could play as a blank slate again who all the NPC's either look up to for hope or want to destroy (but will fail unless I'm on Legendary). Can we instead talk about his team makeup? Why did Buck's character have to be tarnished by being associated with these chumps? How are Tanaka and Vale even supposed to be seen in this game? I don't look at them as squadmates at all, just characters to tell me whats going on. The Arbiter never told me what is happening in the game but I liked having him alongside me. Osiris, not really.
LbonB312 wrote:
I could care less about Locke. I'm not angry about him existing, I just wish I could play as a blank slate again who all the NPC's either look up to for hope or want to destroy (but will fail unless I'm on Legendary). Can we instead talk about his team makeup? Why did Buck's character have to be tarnished by being associated with these chumps? How are Tanaka and Vale even supposed to be seen in this game? I don't look at them as squadmates at all, just characters to tell me whats going on. The Arbiter never told me what is happening in the game but I liked having him alongside me. Osiris, not really.
I feel they savaged Buck's character and all for some familiarity, I don't consider that husk in H5 to be Buck. Tanaka and Vale were so underutilised I don't know why Osiris wasn't just Crimson, relative blank slates of which we could customise the leader, give them a Noble 6 level of interaction and lets go.
LbonB312 wrote:
I feel they savaged Buck's character and all for some familiarity, I don't consider that husk in H5 to be Buck. Tanaka and Vale were so underutilised I don't know why Osiris wasn't just Crimson, relative blank slates of which we could customise the leader, give them a Noble 6 level of interaction and lets go.
The most frustrating thing about Buck being in Halo 5 is how there is no connection between ODST and Halo 5. Sure there's a book, but people who never played that game just have to go along with 'He's from the past and is funny and is here now'.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2