Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

What lore would you like 343 to expand on?

OP Ado Ulamee

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
They're not really doing a good job at creating or explaining the current lore, so none.
How so? Under Bungie we didn't know the as much as we now. We have the forerunner novels, the book Broken Circle talking on the early days of the Covenant's existence, the Warfleet book, Halo: Mythos, Halo:Fractures. When it comes to expanded lore would say we are doing better with 343 over Bungie.
Politics? What politics? Just because there are lot more female leads does not mean 343 is full on SJW
It's not about more female leads or characters, but Karen Travis has a record of inserting her own personal politics into the books she writes with little regard as to how it works with canon. She did it with Star Wars as well.
I have read the Kilo-Five trilogy two times. The last time was quite recently in summer time. I really can't find any forced politics in those books. The only politics in the book that I could find are the politics in the story itself. ONI, Arbiter, etc. Matt Forbeck, Troy Denning, Karen Traviss, Greg Bear, Kelly Gay, John Shirley, Tobias S. Buckell, Joseph Staten, and Peter David are phenomenal writers and I love every single one of the 343 books. Sure, some are better than others but unless you can give me substantial evidence that nearly evey writer of the 343 books has inserted politics into those books, then I will just have to see your point of view as just complaining to complain.
I've read it twice as well. And honestly, despite the criticisms, I really enjoyed Travis' take on the moral ambiguities of ONI and their schemes against the Sangheili. She made Halsey into a Hitler? Well.... yeah. It's not a crazy leap to compare the two since Halsey was obsessed with genetic purity (i.e. only certain genetic profiles are good enough to be Spartans, and all other Spartans after the II's were considered inferior by her). Not to mention she kidnapped children and turned them into biologically augmented child soldiers. People have been compared to Hitler for much less.

Nylund and Staten did a great job getting the extended universe off the ground. I'm not gonna argue that point. But tow say that all else is garbage and should be tossed out an airlock is a bit presumptive. Take a look at superhero movies for a second. Villains and heroes used to be clearly defined and simply explained, but now they are complex and force the audience to ask themselves tough questions about people they previously thought as simply good or bad. Halsey's sins weren't really expanded upon in the beginning because there was no room to delve into those complex questions when the extended universe was in construction mode. Now that it is well established, we have the opportunity to delve into the more intense and morally complicated issues of the story.
Wow, thanks for putting my thoughts into words. I really have a tough time explaining stuff but you did well. But I would not call Halsey Hitler. Halsey genuinely believed she was doing the right thing and in a twisted way, she was. Hitler was not doing the right thing. The only thing against Halsey is her pride. She is always shouting from the rooftops that she is a genius (which she is) but almost never admits that sometimes she screwed up. I mean, very few people can kidnap a Spartan-II in the middle of a war and not immediately be executed by Parangosky.
Please refrain from posting multiple times in a row. You can edit your posts to add information and respond to more than one person in a single post.
Oh so many things...
  • The Rain Forest Wars
Yes, please. That would be so cool. I imagine highly trained operatives with advanced tech trudging through the Amazon to locate rebels. It could be reminiscent of the opening to Halo 3, and could draw on literature about the Veitnam and Korean wars. Brutal, morally ambiguous, with operators and spooks at odds with one another, with some political intrigue that leads to the rise of the UNSC. That'd be super cool. I'd only worry that the writers would try to hard to connect it to the current state of the universe by writing some stuff like "and this is Captain Keyes' great grandpa's roomate!" or something equally ridiculous instead of just writing some new characters.
The Meddlers. Let me explain,
Spoiler:
Show
I knew you watched HiddenXperia from bringing them up. I 100% agree with this too. It’s been bastly unexplored with very little references to their existnece. 343i should take a chnace to capitalise on this and make this in however they want as Bungie hasn’t explored the behaviour and mannerisms of the meddlers even though they are most likely several different species at each time they appear. You also forgot the part with the unknown ship crashing on Installation-04.
I didn’t really forget them, just didn’t want to blow the minds of people who don’t know. I’d really like some lore on the Spartan III’s as well. Maybe even a little bit of a reveal on Noble Six.(Am I reviving a dead thread?)
Possibly but I still hold dear that he’s alive with some evidenece to back my point up, but in the words of the Prophet of Truth, “That secret dies with all the rest”.
EDIT: Can we just ignore all the spelling mistakes I made btw, that was me just fast typing on a handheld.
What evidence is there exactly? 343 even confirmed his death......people need to let this go already
I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’re ranting about something bluntly unrelated to this thread and I don’t want to start a debate over Noble Six but if you do care and want to see my evidence check my forum activity, you’ll find it somewhere
I'm perfectly calm,I'd rather not look through your post history.He is gone and there's no evidence for a return or a heroic comeback
The Meddlers. Let me explain,
Spoiler:
Show
I knew you watched HiddenXperia from bringing them up. I 100% agree with this too. It’s been bastly unexplored with very little references to their existnece. 343i should take a chnace to capitalise on this and make this in however they want as Bungie hasn’t explored the behaviour and mannerisms of the meddlers even though they are most likely several different species at each time they appear. You also forgot the part with the unknown ship crashing on Installation-04.
I didn’t really forget them, just didn’t want to blow the minds of people who don’t know. I’d really like some lore on the Spartan III’s as well. Maybe even a little bit of a reveal on Noble Six.(Am I reviving a dead thread?)
Possibly but I still hold dear that he’s alive with some evidenece to back my point up, but in the words of the Prophet of Truth, “That secret dies with all the rest”.
EDIT: Can we just ignore all the spelling mistakes I made btw, that was me just fast typing on a handheld.
What evidence is there exactly? 343 even confirmed his death......people need to let this go already
I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’re ranting about something bluntly unrelated to this thread and I don’t want to start a debate over Noble Six but if you do care and want to see my evidence check my forum activity, you’ll find it somewhere
I'm perfectly calm,I'd rather not look through your post history.He is gone and there's no evidence for a return or a heroic comeback
He's talking about this. His "evidence" was really just speculations and misconceptions.
Oh so many things...
  • The Rain Forest Wars
  • Admiral Preston Cole's possible survival
  • Ancient humanity (their alliance with the ancient San Shyuum as a bonus)
  • The war between the stoic and reformist San Shayuum
    Spoiler:
    Show
  • The formation of ONI and how it became such a massive organization (Parangosky's backstory would work well here)
  • Colonel Watts' backstory
  • How the Librarian and the Didact met
  • The Precursor-Forerunner War and how that led to the creation of the Flood
  • The Ussan Sangheili and how they integrated into modern Sangheili society
I'm sure I will think of plenty more, but these are off the top of my head.
Huge yes to the Insurrectionist and Colonel Watts
Would like to see a novel primarily from the Insurrectionist perspective and then you could see a spartan infiltration unit from their view.
The Meddlers. Let me explain,
Spoiler:
Show
I knew you watched HiddenXperia from bringing them up. I 100% agree with this too. It’s been bastly unexplored with very little references to their existnece. 343i should take a chnace to capitalise on this and make this in however they want as Bungie hasn’t explored the behaviour and mannerisms of the meddlers even though they are most likely several different species at each time they appear. You also forgot the part with the unknown ship crashing on Installation-04.
I didn’t really forget them, just didn’t want to blow the minds of people who don’t know. I’d really like some lore on the Spartan III’s as well. Maybe even a little bit of a reveal on Noble Six.(Am I reviving a dead thread?)
Possibly but I still hold dear that he’s alive with some evidenece to back my point up, but in the words of the Prophet of Truth, “That secret dies with all the rest”.
EDIT: Can we just ignore all the spelling mistakes I made btw, that was me just fast typing on a handheld.
What evidence is there exactly? 343 even confirmed his death......people need to let this go already
I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’re ranting about something bluntly unrelated to this thread and I don’t want to start a debate over Noble Six but if you do care and want to see my evidence check my forum activity, you’ll find it somewhere
I'm perfectly calm,I'd rather not look through your post history.He is gone and there's no evidence for a return or a heroic comeback
How do you know that 343 wouldn’t bring him back? Give me solid proof to prove what your saying. First of all what did they say about Cortana afyer Halo 4, she dead, low and behold, in Halo 5, WHAT! Cortana’s actually alive. I’m a very optimistic guy and you ain’t changing my view on 6, no matter if it was confirmed OUTSIDE the game and not in game.
The Meddlers. Let me explain,
Spoiler:
Show
I knew you watched HiddenXperia from bringing them up. I 100% agree with this too. It’s been bastly unexplored with very little references to their existnece. 343i should take a chnace to capitalise on this and make this in however they want as Bungie hasn’t explored the behaviour and mannerisms of the meddlers even though they are most likely several different species at each time they appear. You also forgot the part with the unknown ship crashing on Installation-04.
I didn’t really forget them, just didn’t want to blow the minds of people who don’t know. I’d really like some lore on the Spartan III’s as well. Maybe even a little bit of a reveal on Noble Six.(Am I reviving a dead thread?)
Possibly but I still hold dear that he’s alive with some evidenece to back my point up, but in the words of the Prophet of Truth, “That secret dies with all the rest”.
EDIT: Can we just ignore all the spelling mistakes I made btw, that was me just fast typing on a handheld.
What evidence is there exactly? 343 even confirmed his death......people need to let this go already
I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’re ranting about something bluntly unrelated to this thread and I don’t want to start a debate over Noble Six but if you do care and want to see my evidence check my forum activity, you’ll find it somewhere
I'm perfectly calm,I'd rather not look through your post history.He is gone and there's no evidence for a return or a heroic comeback
How do you know that 343 wouldn’t bring him back? Give me solid proof to prove what your saying. First of all what did they say about Cortana afyer Halo 4, she dead, low and behold, in Halo 5, WHAT! Cortana’s actually alive. I’m a very optimistic guy and you ain’t changing my view on 6, no matter if it was confirmed OUTSIDE the game and not in game.
Would recommend starting a thread for this, otherwise a derailing may come. Never cared for him myself either way.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
The Meddlers. Let me explain,
Spoiler:
Show
I knew you watched HiddenXperia from bringing them up. I 100% agree with this too. It’s been bastly unexplored with very little references to their existnece. 343i should take a chnace to capitalise on this and make this in however they want as Bungie hasn’t explored the behaviour and mannerisms of the meddlers even though they are most likely several different species at each time they appear. You also forgot the part with the unknown ship crashing on Installation-04.
I didn’t really forget them, just didn’t want to blow the minds of people who don’t know. I’d really like some lore on the Spartan III’s as well. Maybe even a little bit of a reveal on Noble Six.(Am I reviving a dead thread?)
Possibly but I still hold dear that he’s alive with some evidenece to back my point up, but in the words of the Prophet of Truth, “That secret dies with all the rest”.
EDIT: Can we just ignore all the spelling mistakes I made btw, that was me just fast typing on a handheld.
What evidence is there exactly? 343 even confirmed his death......people need to let this go already
I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’re ranting about something bluntly unrelated to this thread and I don’t want to start a debate over Noble Six but if you do care and want to see my evidence check my forum activity, you’ll find it somewhere
I'm perfectly calm,I'd rather not look through your post history.He is gone and there's no evidence for a return or a heroic comeback
How do you know that 343 wouldn’t bring him back? Give me solid proof to prove what your saying. First of all what did they say about Cortana afyer Halo 4, she dead, low and behold, in Halo 5, WHAT! Cortana’s actually alive. I’m a very optimistic guy and you ain’t changing my view on 6, no matter if it was confirmed OUTSIDE the game and not in game.
Would recommend starting a thread for this, otherwise a derailing may come. Never cared for him myself either way.
I am done talking about that as I don’t want no trouble. I was just voicing an opinion and my take on things, all subjective btw. This site is for voicing opinions after all and just because it’s different, doesn’t mean it’s any less valid but if that guy replies I’m just going to ignore him.
The Meddlers. Let me explain,
Spoiler:
Show
I knew you watched HiddenXperia from bringing them up. I 100% agree with this too. It’s been bastly unexplored with very little references to their existnece. 343i should take a chnace to capitalise on this and make this in however they want as Bungie hasn’t explored the behaviour and mannerisms of the meddlers even though they are most likely several different species at each time they appear. You also forgot the part with the unknown ship crashing on Installation-04.
I didn’t really forget them, just didn’t want to blow the minds of people who don’t know. I’d really like some lore on the Spartan III’s as well. Maybe even a little bit of a reveal on Noble Six.(Am I reviving a dead thread?)
Possibly but I still hold dear that he’s alive with some evidenece to back my point up, but in the words of the Prophet of Truth, “That secret dies with all the rest”.
EDIT: Can we just ignore all the spelling mistakes I made btw, that was me just fast typing on a handheld.
What evidence is there exactly? 343 even confirmed his death......people need to let this go already
I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’re ranting about something bluntly unrelated to this thread and I don’t want to start a debate over Noble Six but if you do care and want to see my evidence check my forum activity, you’ll find it somewhere
I'm perfectly calm,I'd rather not look through your post history.He is gone and there's no evidence for a return or a heroic comeback
How do you know that 343 wouldn’t bring him back? Give me solid proof to prove what your saying. First of all what did they say about Cortana afyer Halo 4, she dead, low and behold, in Halo 5, WHAT! Cortana’s actually alive. I’m a very optimistic guy and you ain’t changing my view on 6, no matter if it was confirmed OUTSIDE the game and not in game.
How do you know they would bring him back? And I'm not talking about theories or speculations,I'm talking about anything 343 members have said that makes it seem like he can make a return?
The Meddlers. Let me explain,
Spoiler:
Show
I knew you watched HiddenXperia from bringing them up. I 100% agree with this too. It’s been bastly unexplored with very little references to their existnece. 343i should take a chnace to capitalise on this and make this in however they want as Bungie hasn’t explored the behaviour and mannerisms of the meddlers even though they are most likely several different species at each time they appear. You also forgot the part with the unknown ship crashing on Installation-04.
I didn’t really forget them, just didn’t want to blow the minds of people who don’t know. I’d really like some lore on the Spartan III’s as well. Maybe even a little bit of a reveal on Noble Six.(Am I reviving a dead thread?)
Possibly but I still hold dear that he’s alive with some evidenece to back my point up, but in the words of the Prophet of Truth, “That secret dies with all the rest”.
EDIT: Can we just ignore all the spelling mistakes I made btw, that was me just fast typing on a handheld.
What evidence is there exactly? 343 even confirmed his death......people need to let this go already
I’m going to have to ask you to calm down. You’re ranting about something bluntly unrelated to this thread and I don’t want to start a debate over Noble Six but if you do care and want to see my evidence check my forum activity, you’ll find it somewhere
I'm perfectly calm,I'd rather not look through your post history.He is gone and there's no evidence for a return or a heroic comeback
How do you know that 343 wouldn’t bring him back? Give me solid proof to prove what your saying. First of all what did they say about Cortana afyer Halo 4, she dead, low and behold, in Halo 5, WHAT! Cortana’s actually alive. I’m a very optimistic guy and you ain’t changing my view on 6, no matter if it was confirmed OUTSIDE the game and not in game.
How do you know they would bring him back? And I'm not talking about theories or speculations,I'm talking about anything 343 members have said that makes it seem like he can make a return?
Can't you just let it go? They said they are not changing their mind. I don't want this thread turning into an argument thread.
JB Linken wrote:
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
That one could have really gone somewhere. A pity they simply had it literally vanish from the plot along with Halsey outsmarting a contender-class ancilla.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
That one could have really gone somewhere. A pity they simply had it literally vanish from the plot along with Halsey outsmarting a contender-class ancilla.
Yes, very disapointed with that storyline.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
That one could have really gone somewhere. A pity they simply had it literally vanish from the plot along with Halsey outsmarting a contender-class ancilla.
Yes, very disapointed with that storyline.
Indeed, though another thing I would like to see from 343 would be giving details on the origin of the relic recovery armor the heretics wear in halo 2. That or perhaps reveal how large the Covenant empire was. We know the humans had 800, the forerunner 3,000,000 yet the Covenant don't get a definite concrete number outside of "High Charity gets tribute from 1000 worlds." Those all the Covenant worlds? Only the ones that need to give tribute? Are some of them not even Covenant?
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
That one could have really gone somewhere. A pity they simply had it literally vanish from the plot along with Halsey outsmarting a contender-class ancilla.
Yes, very disapointed with that storyline.
Indeed, though another thing I would like to see from 343 would be giving details on the origin of the relic recovery armor the heretics wear in halo 2. That or perhaps reveal how large the Covenant empire was. We know the humans had 800, the forerunner 3,000,000 yet the Covenant don't get a definite concrete number outside of "High Charity gets tribute from 1000 worlds." Those all the Covenant worlds? Only the ones that need to give tribute? Are some of them not even Covenant?
Humanity had 800 world's before the Covenant started attacking us? Wow
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
That one could have really gone somewhere. A pity they simply had it literally vanish from the plot along with Halsey outsmarting a contender-class ancilla.
Yes, very disapointed with that storyline.
Indeed, though another thing I would like to see from 343 would be giving details on the origin of the relic recovery armor the heretics wear in halo 2. That or perhaps reveal how large the Covenant empire was. We know the humans had 800, the forerunner 3,000,000 yet the Covenant don't get a definite concrete number outside of "High Charity gets tribute from 1000 worlds." Those all the Covenant worlds? Only the ones that need to give tribute? Are some of them not even Covenant?
In one of the novels, I think its The Cole Protocol, Grey Team destroy a Sanghelli world which is tearing up into them in Halo Envoy. It’s a great read and would recommend it.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
That one could have really gone somewhere. A pity they simply had it literally vanish from the plot along with Halsey outsmarting a contender-class ancilla.
Yes, very disapointed with that storyline.
Indeed, though another thing I would like to see from 343 would be giving details on the origin of the relic recovery armor the heretics wear in halo 2. That or perhaps reveal how large the Covenant empire was. We know the humans had 800, the forerunner 3,000,000 yet the Covenant don't get a definite concrete number outside of "High Charity gets tribute from 1000 worlds." Those all the Covenant worlds? Only the ones that need to give tribute? Are some of them not even Covenant?
In one of the novels, I think its The Cole Protocol, Grey Team destroy a Sanghelli world which is tearing up into them in Halo Envoy. It’s a great read and would recommend it.
Both of Tobias's novels for Halo are awesome, though I think Envoy is better in my opinion.
Ado Ulamee wrote:
Ado Ulamee wrote:
JB Linken wrote:
The Janus Key.

I’m talking about in a game specifically. I know the Janus Key was in Halo: Escalation, but if utilized properly in Halo Infinite it could be a great tool for finding a solution to Cortana. But it has to be done right.

I’m just not a big fan of things introduced in the games being wrapped up in books/comics. I recognize they happen in the story, but also find it anticlimactic.
That one could have really gone somewhere. A pity they simply had it literally vanish from the plot along with Halsey outsmarting a contender-class ancilla.
Yes, very disapointed with that storyline.
Indeed, though another thing I would like to see from 343 would be giving details on the origin of the relic recovery armor the heretics wear in halo 2. That or perhaps reveal how large the Covenant empire was. We know the humans had 800, the forerunner 3,000,000 yet the Covenant don't get a definite concrete number outside of "High Charity gets tribute from 1000 worlds." Those all the Covenant worlds? Only the ones that need to give tribute? Are some of them not even Covenant?
In one of the novels, I think its The Cole Protocol, Grey Team destroy a Sanghelli world which is tearing up into them in Halo Envoy. It’s a great read and would recommend it.
Both of Tobias's novels for Halo are awesome, though I think Envoy is better in my opinion.
That we can agree on. I can’t wait for his next novel, if there is one as I love reading the adventures of Grey Team.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4