Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

What was the most difficult legendary mission?

OP Afellow ODST

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
What mission on legendary in any of the halo games was the most difficult or annoying to complete and why?
The Library on Legendary in Halo: Combat Evovled.

Pure terror as a child and still extremely frustrating today.
Gravemind. My friend was nice enough to play through it a second time to help me. It took like an hour and 40 minutes.
Gravemind. My friend was nice enough to play through it a second time to help me. It took like an hour and 40 minutes.
I'd agree. Uprising is a personal bugbear but I now understand the skip at least
Gravemind from H2 for a mission as a whole, absolutely ridiculously long with many difficult areas.

The hardest scene remains for me in Truth and Reconciliation, just trying to guide keyes back to the safety without him deciding to just literally kill himself by throwing a grenade into a wall and then proceeding to run into it was beyond infuriating.
Gravemind from H2 for a mission as a whole, absolutely ridiculously long with many difficult areas.

The hardest scene remains for me in Truth and Reconciliation, just trying to guide keyes back to the safety without him deciding to just literally kill himself by throwing a grenade into a wall and then proceeding to run into it was beyond infuriating.
Wierd... I've never had problems with that section
Gravemind is easily the hardest it took me about 10 hours to complete and It was stress
MorseyBaby wrote:

Wierd... I've never had problems with that section
I am very envious to hear that. I have never not had problems with that section.
Probably just about any Master Chief focused mission in Halo 2 sans High Charity. Part of me wants to say Outskirts or Metropolis for some pretty well known reasons but Regret has to be noted because of its absurdly lengthened boss battle against the prophet himself. Besides the San'Shyuum's absurd number of times you need to pummel him before he goes down the infinitely spawning waves of honour guard Elites force you to methodically circle around the entire chamber picking them off one at a time before rushing back over to hopefully get another pummelling in on Regret before rinsing and repeating the process.

I recently beat Halo 5 on legendary and that was a slog as well. Squad mechanic does help but too often your fellow Spartans are getting taken down while you yourself are needing to be got back on your feet before the bar runs out.
library....
Spoiler:
Show
Pillar of Autumn: Reach
Keyes: CE
Gravemind: 2
Cortana: 3
Forerunner: 4
havent played halo 5 yet

after replaying halo CE, I changed the hardest level from “Truth and Rec” to “Keyes”
I hate that mission
Hot take: Gravemind wasn't that difficult, just stupidly long. After the first room I made pretty consistent progress with it.

Truth and Reconciliation is interminable. It's probably already one of the hardest missions already and the second Keyes arrives it becomes borderline impossible because the moron just runs directly into enemy fire. It's also a lot harder proportionally compared to the level on lower difficulties, where you have allies who usually survive the whole level and Keyes has a lot more health.
  • H1: Either The Library or The Truth and Reconciliation. The latter for the reasons that ONI Recon Bravo and others above have stated. The Library, of course, is still a pain. Just imagine it with a x11 enemy multiplier... that would be pain on a whole new level!
  • H2: Outskirts (unless you know how to skip the first part) or Gravemind. Gravemind is insanely long too.
  • H3: Crow's Nest (for speedrunning) and Cortana (overall). I have to ask how Crow's Nest is part of one of the speedrunning playlists in MCC and yet I can't really get through it very quickly even on Easy. The level, Cortana, on the other hand...
  • Reach: The Pillar of Autumn. This final level really is so painful I had to spend 11+ minutes trying to get the Legendary-exclusive data pad from this mission.
  • 4: Forerunner and Reclaimer. Forerunner is really annoying with all the Knights and the second pylon area is especially frustrating. Reclaimer? Those Wraiths still give me nightmares on solo Legendary, as does the soft-lock glitch that plagues this level.
  • 5: Blue Team, Swords of Sanghelios, and Guardians. The Blue Team level on Legendary seriously makes me want to break a TV, Swords of Sanghelios is utterly annoying on Legendary, and Guardians overall is just awful. At least with The Breaking, you can skip the three Wardens at the end, but Guardians is borderline next to impossible to do without dying on Legendary. The ending part always takes me 15+ minutes on Legendary, even in co-op!
I have completed H5 on Legendary Solo once and I am really regretting it 100%, especially after seeing Blue Team die too many times.
Levels with heavy amount of brutes and/or jackel snipers in halo 2. I've beat every other campaign (well except 5 cause I haven't played it) but halo 2 its difficulty is just so annoying i avoid it.

Doesn't help that co-op has the iron skull effectively so you can't even try it with a friend.
The Libary
Going to have to give this to Truth and Reconciliation from CE. The level takes me an hour to complete on solo Legendary pretty much everytime.
HCE: Truth and Reconciliation. That fight up the grav lift is rough.
H2: Uprising. Once you get the Ghosts.
H3: Pretty easy through and through, I'd say the chieftain fight in Crows Nest.
ODST: Highway
Reach: Lonewolf, always die. Ha, but PoA Hunter fight
H4: Forerunner, Banshee fight.
H5: Remember the last level being a pain, it's been a while.

Edit: I don't do skips, no disrespect to those that do, for me the game is testing my mettle.
And let me definitely add the info spawn honor guards at the end of Regret. My trick is to keep the sword units alive to limit the chance of a dual plasma guard coming in.
  • H1: Either The Library or The Truth and Reconciliation. The latter for the reasons that ONI Recon Bravo and others above have stated. The Library, of course, is still a pain. Just imagine it with a x11 enemy multiplier... that would be pain on a whole new level!
  • H2: Outskirts (unless you know how to skip the first part) or Gravemind. Gravemind is insanely long too.
  • H3: Crow's Nest (for speedrunning) and Cortana (overall). I have to ask how Crow's Nest is part of one of the speedrunning playlists in MCC and yet I can't really get through it very quickly even on Easy. The level, Cortana, on the other hand...
  • Reach: The Pillar of Autumn. This final level really is so painful I had to spend 11+ minutes trying to get the Legendary-exclusive data pad from this mission.
  • 4: Forerunner and Reclaimer. Forerunner is really annoying with all the Knights and the second pylon area is especially frustrating. Reclaimer? Those Wraiths still give me nightmares on solo Legendary, as does the soft-lock glitch that plagues this level.
  • 5: Blue Team, Swords of Sanghelios, and Guardians. The Blue Team level on Legendary seriously makes me want to break a TV, Swords of Sanghelios is utterly annoying on Legendary, and Guardians overall is just awful. At least with The Breaking, you can skip the three Wardens at the end, but Guardians is borderline next to impossible to do without dying on Legendary. The ending part always takes me 15+ minutes on Legendary, even in co-op!
I have completed H5 on Legendary Solo once and I am really regretting it 100%, especially after seeing Blue Team die too many times.
This is a pretty good breakdown. If we are not including skips in H2 then Uprising jumps in difficulty considerably as well.
The library was easy
gravemind tho...
Here's my personal list of them doing it solo
Halo Reach: Long Night of solace, the reason is because the seraphs are on roids for MCC compared to the original which makes hiding behind anchor 9 the best decision most of the time

Halo CE: Two Betrayals for me since it's a lengthy mission that is a repeat of assault on the control room minus a scorpion, not to mention the amount of bullet sponge covenant guarding the banshees.

Halo 2: Probably Regret with it's RNG boss fight with infinite spawning elites and grunts, outskirts is probably the easiest due to the amount you can skip in that mission and Gravemind being a not so close second since the only hard part is the very beginning and that's it.

Halo 3: The storm because of how powerful the ghosts are especially when trying to take down the scarab

Halo 4: Nothing really comes to mind, really easy campaign compared to the rest

Halo 3 ODST: Probably kikowani station due to the scarab locking on to you as soon as you leave the door but not to hard of a mission.

Halo 5: Nothing comes to mind other than how frustrating and unbalanced the difficulty was, everything was a bullet sponge that dealt an absurd amount of damage
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2