Forums / Community / Halo Universe

When and how will Spartan V's be a thing?

OP LbonB312

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
And yes, I did say "when" not "if". Spartan II's remain the most impressive and powerful of the generations, so I would think the Spartan V program would seek to replicate that again. Maybe even going back to using children again but with a twist of some sort, such as the children being volunteered by their parents, or the kids being exact clones of the Spartan II's themselves.
Well unless ONI improves flash cloning it is unlikely that they'll be clones. Because the clones die after a few months.
Cloning would cause an issue.
If you clone an 50 year old,the clone would look like an child,but its organs would be the one of an 50 year old in terms of damage.
So the lifespan would be drastically reduced.
I doubt that Halo will ever feature an clone army.
Well so far it wouldn't make much sense for the UNSC to create a Spartan 5 program.
The Spartan 2 program was definitely a success but had problems:
-It was too expensive.
-It was morally abhorrent
-It was extremely selective.
Also, this program was only given the green light because they had no other choice. The Carver findings projected an almost never ending war between the UNSC and the Insurrectionists which would lead to the fall of humanity. Things were pretty dire. This program was created out of necessity.
The Spartan 3 program improved on the previous program removing the cost, and being more inclusive in its selection. However it still have issues:
-Was morally questionable (having 6 year old volunteers is barely better than abducting children)
-They were suicide soldiers
These two programs were created because the UNSC was desperate (especially for the Spartan 3s).
The Spartan 4s on the other hand, have almost no downsides.
-Less expensive
-No moral consequence
-Widely inclusive
-Still produces soldiers as effective as the past generations ( Fireteam Shadow, Fireteam Osiris, Fireteam Crimson, Palmer....)
So really since the Spartan 4 program is so successful and now the UNSC no longer in a dire situation (the covenant is beaten, most of the insurrection has ben destroyed) they have no need for a Spartan 5 program. Especially since the Spartan 4s are still relatively new.

For a Spartan 5 program to be needed:
-Either the UNSC/ONI becomes desperate enough to require morally abhorrent solutions
-Or they discover a new method of augmentation. (Perhaps they discover Forerunner technology capable of such feats similar to how the Prelates came to be)
The point is that a new program would need something to be different fundamentally from the Spartan 4s. Whether it be using children, clones, machines, new augmentations etc....

I am not saying there won't be a Spartan 5 program.
I only saying at this point we have no idea what it could be as the UNSC is not even considering such a program.

The only possibility that I could envision right now is that ONI creates a super secret Spartan program for themselves since the Spartan branch is now separate from ONI.
But its kind of grasping at straws right now.

But to answer the OP's question.
I think the Spartan 5s could be genetically and biologically engineered human beings grown in labs to be the pinacle of humanity. Bypass the step of giving humans augmentations by making them great to start with. This could work well with the Transhuman undertones Halo 4 had.
But that's just a theory.
Honestly, there is no need for a Spartan-V program when the Spartan-IVs are the culmination of the whole system. Say what you will about the individuals, but the SIVs have been able to surpass the limitations of the SIIs and SIIIs on a technical level. Going back to kids is way too ethically problematic morally and ethically. Even with parental consent, you are denying agency for the child being raised to be a Spartan. What if they don’t want to be a solider? Clones present the same problem, you are creating human beings for a purpose and denying them any agency in their own lives.
Like Keny said, there's really no need for a S-V program. The S-IVs might be all a-holes, but their augmentation procedures and training make them much more cost effective than the rest of the programs, all without ethical issues. Especially since humanity is on the top now, there isn't any need for a more advanced Spartan program.
Like Keny said, there's really no need for a S-V program. The S-IVs might be all a-holes, but their augmentation procedures and training make them much more cost effective than the rest of the programs, all without ethical issues. Especially since humanity is on the top now, there isn't any need for a more advanced Spartan program.
Except they aren’t all -Yoinks!-.
Sarah Palmer says hi
Sarah Palmer says hi
The "taller" insult was just friendly banter, she respects the chief. Just because she doesn't worship him or cry of joy upon seeing him doesn't mean she dislikes him.
Why bother with a SPARTAN V program if the IV program works just fine. You know...if it ain't broke! Military Logistics is a huge issue.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Well so far it wouldn't make much sense for the UNSC to create a Spartan 5 program.
The Spartan 2 program was definitely a success but had problems:
-It was too expensive.
-It was morally abhorrent
-It was extremely selective.
Also, this program was only given the green light because they had no other choice. The Carver findings projected an almost never ending war between the UNSC and the Insurrectionists which would lead to the fall of humanity. Things were pretty dire. This program was created out of necessity.
The Spartan 3 program improved on the previous program removing the cost, and being more inclusive in its selection. However it still have issues:
-Was morally questionable (having 6 year old volunteers is barely better than abducting children)
-They were suicide soldiers
These two programs were created because the UNSC was desperate (especially for the Spartan 3s).
The Spartan 4s on the other hand, have almost no downsides.
-Less expensive
-No moral consequence
-Widely inclusive
-Still produces soldiers as effective as the past generations ( Fireteam Shadow, Fireteam Osiris, Fireteam Crimson, Palmer....)
So really since the Spartan 4 program is so successful and now the UNSC no longer in a dire situation (the covenant is beaten, most of the insurrection has ben destroyed) they have no need for a Spartan 5 program. Especially since the Spartan 4s are still relatively new.

For a Spartan 5 program to be needed:
-Either the UNSC/ONI becomes desperate enough to require morally abhorrent solutions
-Or they discover a new method of augmentation. (Perhaps they discover Forerunner technology capable of such feats similar to how the Prelates came to be)
The point is that a new program would need something to be different fundamentally from the Spartan 4s. Whether it be using children, clones, machines, new augmentations etc....

I am not saying there won't be a Spartan 5 program.
I only saying at this point we have no idea what it could be as the UNSC is not even considering such a program.

The only possibility that I could envision right now is that ONI creates a super secret Spartan program for themselves since the Spartan branch is now separate from ONI.
But its kind of grasping at straws right now.

But to answer the OP's question.
I think the Spartan 5s could be genetically and biologically engineered human beings grown in labs to be the pinacle of humanity. Bypass the step of giving humans augmentations by making them great to start with. This could work well with the Transhuman undertones Halo 4 had.
But that's just a theory.
I agree here. There's nothing really further to do with another Spartan program unless, like mentioned above, some kind of Forerunner technology can be implemented
LbonB312 wrote:
Sarah Palmer says hi
The "taller" insult was just friendly banter, she respects the chief. Just because she doesn't worship him or cry of joy upon seeing him doesn't mean she dislikes him.
I meant how she blatantly disobeys the order to arrest chief then says "orders are orders" when ordered to kill Halsey. I never said anything about the height thing
LbonB312 wrote:
Sarah Palmer says hi
I meant how she blatantly disobeys the order to arrest chief then says "orders are orders" when ordered to kill Halsey. I never said anything about the height thing
My bad, it's a cliche for people to judge a character or person in real life for just one sentence. Halsey was dangerous given that she could have spewed information that would have jeopardized the safety of humanity, while the Chief was being proactive to stopping a threat. Del Rio was later displaced as the captain of the infinity for wanting chief arrested and later abandoning him too so she was still in the right afterwards.
NANO MACHINES SON!

Seriously though that's probably the only way to move forward at this point, nano augmentation ala Deus Ex or Metal Gear.
Like Halsey said, there really is no reason to have a new generation, the IVs are pretty much identical to the IIs but cheaper and with less baggage. I know people love the IIs but IVs can literally be near equals if not better in certain scenarios.

LbonB312 wrote:
Sarah Palmer says hi
well she respects the chief, what has Halsey done to gain palmers respect? Let alone what has she done to earn others respect? To many she's a traitor who went through unethical (but necessary) means to achieve what she did. Even some of the IIs hate her for it (most respect her though).

i have more issues with how Palmer and Halsey make nice out of no where.
Honestly I feel like the prototype Spartan-IV augmentation process that created Ilsa Zane was so radically different that that should be called Spartan-V. Or that should have been Spartan-IV and what we have now are Spartan-Vs. I'm just saying that Ilsa was so different from other Spartan-IVs in terms of strength that she should have been her own class of Spartan. If they ever figure out how to make more soldiers like Ilsa but without the aggression and insanity, then you have your Spartan-Vs.
Chimera30 wrote:
Honestly I feel like the prototype Spartan-IV augmentation process that created Ilsa Zane was so radically different that that should be called Spartan-V. Or that should have been Spartan-IV and what we have now are Spartan-Vs. I'm just saying that Ilsa was so different from other Spartan-IVs in terms of strength that she should have been her own class of Spartan. If they ever figure out how to make more soldiers like Ilsa but without the aggression and insanity, then you have your Spartan-Vs.
The only flaw to that program I can think of is, if the flood ever make a return, the subjects would more vulnerable than the other gens (or not).
Chimera30 wrote:
Honestly I feel like the prototype Spartan-IV augmentation process that created Ilsa Zane was so radically different that that should be called Spartan-V. Or that should have been Spartan-IV and what we have now are Spartan-Vs.
Nah. The R&D/E portion of the Spartan-IV program would receive more of a Spartan-IV/Beta designation, as the intention of that phase was to test the more... eccentric augmentations before they were mass produced or handed out to larger population groups.
Chimera30 wrote:
I'm just saying that Ilsa was so different from other Spartan-IVs in terms of strength that she should have been her own class of Spartan. If they ever figure out how to make more soldiers like Ilsa but without the aggression and insanity, then you have your Spartan-Vs.
Spartan Vs would be an "improvement" over the baseline S-IV. Physical augmentation performance wouldn't even be the only limit here, I would figure that something like A.I pairing assignments to individuals Spartans, plus -insert whatever GEN iteration of MJOLNIR- would constitute the designation of an S-V. Firepower or max bench-pressing isn't the major concern here (ex. F-22 vs F-35), but how Spartans would use more effective warfighting equipment to overwhelm, eliminate, or target the enemies' supposed advantages and become more effective in term.
LbonB312 wrote:
Chimera30 wrote:
The only flaw to that program I can think of is, if the flood ever make a return, the subjects would more vulnerable than the other gens (or not).
Not if you put them in Mjolnir armor.
Chimera30 wrote:
Honestly I feel like the prototype Spartan-IV augmentation process that created Ilsa Zane was so radically different that that should be called Spartan-V. Or that should have been Spartan-IV and what we have now are Spartan-Vs.
Nah. The R&D/E portion of the Spartan-IV program would receive more of a Spartan-IV/Beta designation, as the intention of that phase was to test the more... eccentric augmentations before they were mass produced or handed out to larger population groups.
Chimera30 wrote:
I'm just saying that Ilsa was so different from other Spartan-IVs in terms of strength that she should have been her own class of Spartan. If they ever figure out how to make more soldiers like Ilsa but without the aggression and insanity, then you have your Spartan-Vs.
Spartan Vs would be an "improvement" over the baseline S-IV. Physical augmentation performance wouldn't even be the only limit here, I would figure that something like A.I pairing assignments to individuals Spartans, plus -insert whatever GEN iteration of MJOLNIR- would constitute the designation of an S-V. Firepower or max bench-pressing isn't the major concern here (ex. F-22 vs F-35), but how Spartans would use more effective warfighting equipment to overwhelm, eliminate, or target the enemies' supposed advantages and become more effective in term.
The original desire of the Spartan-IV program was to make Spartans who could perform feats done by armored Spartan-IIs and IIIs without the armor.
The differences between the Spartan-II and III programs was not particularly major. Yes, the Spartan-III program had more stable augmentations, but everything else about the program (enhancements and armor) were similar to the IIs but just slightly less good. As for a new armor generation, well, the Mjolnir GEN 2 armor actually came after the Spartan-IV program had begun; there were Spartan-IVs before there was GEN 2 armor, so the two were not developed together. Spartan generations are not tied to armor generations. I would also argue that AI pairings did not change much between Spartan-IIs, IIIs, and IVs, except that a select few GEN 2 armors were developed with internal AIs, but again, that was done separately from the development of the Spartan IV program.
As for effectiveness in battle beyond straight strength, well, if you look at the IIs, IIIs, and IVs, they all fought the same way: with weapons, with their hands, and with vehicles. Some specialized in other areas like Kat and electronics, but those were individual traits, not something brought upon by the augmentations. And increased base strength over the standard Spartan-IV is still a baseline improvement, even it is not a complex one. Besides, we were never made aware of the full extent of Ilsa's augmentations beyond her strength. We have no idea about her resilience, recovery, senses, or dexterity compared to modern Spartan-IVs. I think that the only reason that Ilsa's augmentation type did not get it's own designation is that it ultimately was a failure. Even Project ORION saw several years of success before disbandment (hence why it got its own designation rather than just being referred to as Spartan-II alpha or something).
so far we've technically seen 2 generations of spartan 4's. not generations age wise but they had a second group after the first batch was made including buck and vale. rather than making spartan 5's I think they might just do various generations of spartan 4's. at least until they get some forerunner bio enhancements or something.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3