Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Where is Atriox in Halo Infinite

OP Chief Iron Wolf

Ok so I am thrilled that we are getting brutes again, and the banished were such a great idea from Halo Wars 2, but I have a few questions on my mind and possibly a bit of theory crafting. So we are getting Escharum as the commander of the banished, and I am intrigued, it is a total 180 from our fight with the covenant for so many years and how the Prophets were. This battle worn Chieftan who is missing an eye and wants nothing more than to fight the demon himself. But they already had such a badass villain set up for Halo Infinite in Atriox, so why did they not just use him? Well we haven't seen enough to confirm that there will be no Atriox. Halo Infinite is set roughly a year after Halo Wars 2, so a lot could have happened. I really hope that Escharum isn't wasted, but at the same time I really hope they didn't just end Atriox off screen. (Time to get into some theory crafting) So where we left off in the story is that the covenant have fallen, Cortana is rampaging across the galaxy with Forerunner WMDs the UNSC Infinity is running from cortana, ;Master Chief, Blue Team, Locke, Fire Team Osiris, The Arbiter, The Swords of Sanghellios, Palmer and Dr. Halsey... let me catch my breath... are all reunited and CLIFFHANGER. Now, in Halo Wars 2, we have been introduced to the Banished and The UNSC Spirit of Fire has finally returned after 28 years. The Banished are occupying the Ark and the Spirit of Fire crew are fighting them. Professor Andres is somewhere in the galaxy on a Halo ring looking to get help and the last we see is a Guardian appearing at the ring. We also got a DLC that hints at the flood returning but thats not important right now. So now arrive at halo infinite, and we lost the war. SOOOOOO many questions are going to need to be answered in Infinites campaign. Now back to it, why is Escharum leading the banished? If this really is going to be the Halo game for the next 10 years then shouldn't we be tying the story together? So the first question to ask is, Where is Atriox? Well last we saw he is on the Ark with a MASSIVE Banished force and their super carrier was destroyed on the ark. Now that means that there is a chance that the banished are stuck for now. But that just opens up even more questions! How did the banished wipe out the UNSC if the bulk of their forces are on the Ark? Well the ark is basically halo ring homebase, and it is able to activate all of the rings remotely, also it has a portal network straight to Earth... maybe we just straight up lost home base to that HUGE banished force coming straight to Earth or maybe Atriox just pulled the trigger on the rings. NOW, we still have to account for The UNSC Infinity, The UNSC Spirit of Fire, The Arbiter, Atriox, Blue Team, Red Team, Osiris, Prof Andres, just way too much for now. So how do they all possibly tie into Halo Infinite, it may be a trope at this point, but what we know is that Mater Chief and Brohammer are alone on the ring, and that the UNSC lost. So imagine now if we get an Avengers Endgame calibre scene where everyone comes together in one final fight against the Banished. The Swords of Sanghellios, The Arbiter, The UNSC Infinity, Captain Laskey, our new Pilot friend, Red Team, Blue Team, Osiris, Captain Cutter and The UNSC Spirit of Fire, LORD FREAKING HOOD with everything that remains of the UNSC Armada. THE SHIPMASTER that we last saw in Halo 3. Can you imagine if the story for Halo Infinite is Humanity being brought to the brink of extinction and faced with the threat of the banished, EVERY GOD DAMN CHARACTER that we have been introduced to returns to fight against ATRIOX! There are so many plot points left open at this point and Atriox is just the villain needed to tie everything back together. I do love Escharum as a villain, he is very... well Brutish. But using Escharum to introduce the banished and then bringing out the BIG BAD, now that is a Halo game. I doubt they would do something like this for the story, and i am hopeful that it will still be fantastic, but I just can't wrap my head around why they didn't just go with Atriox? Like the amount of characters I have listed that are currently unaccounted for is ridiculous, and they added a new villain when Atriox is just sittin on the Ark, beating up 3 spartans that are all just as good as Master Chief. I don't know man its been on my mind, I really REALLY hope they actually use Atriox in the Infinite campaign, but I guess we will have to wait and see.
He's still on the Ark.
I'm sure we, as players and fans, will run into him on the battlefield sooner or later, whether it's this game or another installment.

By the way, it would be real helpful if you separate your post into paragraphs. It was a bit hard to read when it's one long post without any breaks in between. Just my friendly suggestion =)
He's still on the Ark.
But is that confirmed?
He's still on the Ark.
But is that confirmed?
Currently after Halo Wars 2 there wasn’t any way of anyone leaving the Ark. The portal was also shut down. The UNSC SoF didn’t have a slipspace drive after it was used back in HW1. The Enduring Conviction was also destroyed and the replacement ring jumped through a portal away from the Ark with Anders being the only person on it. So unless there’s been any update on that Atriox remains stranded on the Ark along with his Banished forces and the SoF.
He's still on the Ark.
But is that confirmed?
How is he going to leave the Ark when the Enduring Conviction has been destroyed? That was the only confirmed way he got to the Ark. The portal network is also destroyed and the Portal to Voi is still closed.
Ok so I am thrilled that we are getting brutes again, and the banished were such a great idea from Halo Wars 2, but I have a few questions on my mind and possibly a bit of theory crafting. So we are getting Escharum as the commander of the banished, and I am intrigued, it is a total 180 from our fight with the covenant for so many years and how the Prophets were. This battle worn Chieftan who is missing an eye and wants nothing more than to fight the demon himself. But they already had such a badass villain set up for Halo Infinite in Atriox, so why did they not just use him? Well we haven't seen enough to confirm that there will be no Atriox. Halo Infinite is set roughly a year after Halo Wars 2, so a lot could have happened. I really hope that Escharum isn't wasted, but at the same time I really hope they didn't just end Atriox off screen. (Time to get into some theory crafting) So where we left off in the story is that the covenant have fallen, Cortana is rampaging across the galaxy with Forerunner WMDs the UNSC Infinity is running from cortana, ;Master Chief, Blue Team, Locke, Fire Team Osiris, The Arbiter, The Swords of Sanghellios, Palmer and Dr. Halsey... let me catch my breath... are all reunited and CLIFFHANGER. Now, in Halo Wars 2, we have been introduced to the Banished and The UNSC Spirit of Fire has finally returned after 28 years. The Banished are occupying the Ark and the Spirit of Fire crew are fighting them. Professor Andres is somewhere in the galaxy on a Halo ring looking to get help and the last we see is a Guardian appearing at the ring. We also got a DLC that hints at the flood returning but thats not important right now. So now arrive at halo infinite, and we lost the war. SOOOOOO many questions are going to need to be answered in Infinites campaign. Now back to it, why is Escharum leading the banished? If this really is going to be the Halo game for the next 10 years then shouldn't we be tying the story together? So the first question to ask is, Where is Atriox? Well last we saw he is on the Ark with a MASSIVE Banished force and their super carrier was destroyed on the ark. Now that means that there is a chance that the banished are stuck for now. But that just opens up even more questions! How did the banished wipe out the UNSC if the bulk of their forces are on the Ark? Well the ark is basically halo ring homebase, and it is able to activate all of the rings remotely, also it has a portal network straight to Earth... maybe we just straight up lost home base to that HUGE banished force coming straight to Earth or maybe Atriox just pulled the trigger on the rings. NOW, we still have to account for The UNSC Infinity, The UNSC Spirit of Fire, The Arbiter, Atriox, Blue Team, Red Team, Osiris, Prof Andres, just way too much for now. So how do they all possibly tie into Halo Infinite, it may be a trope at this point, but what we know is that Mater Chief and Brohammer are alone on the ring, and that the UNSC lost. So imagine now if we get an Avengers Endgame calibre scene where everyone comes together in one final fight against the Banished. The Swords of Sanghellios, The Arbiter, The UNSC Infinity, Captain Laskey, our new Pilot friend, Red Team, Blue Team, Osiris, Captain Cutter and The UNSC Spirit of Fire, LORD FREAKING HOOD with everything that remains of the UNSC Armada. THE SHIPMASTER that we last saw in Halo 3. Can you imagine if the story for Halo Infinite is Humanity being brought to the brink of extinction and faced with the threat of the banished, EVERY GOD DAMN CHARACTER that we have been introduced to returns to fight against ATRIOX! There are so many plot points left open at this point and Atriox is just the villain needed to tie everything back together. I do love Escharum as a villain, he is very... well Brutish. But using Escharum to introduce the banished and then bringing out the BIG BAD, now that is a Halo game. I doubt they would do something like this for the story, and i am hopeful that it will still be fantastic, but I just can't wrap my head around why they didn't just go with Atriox? Like the amount of characters I have listed that are currently unaccounted for is ridiculous, and they added a new villain when Atriox is just sittin on the Ark, beating up 3 spartans that are all just as good as Master Chief. I don't know man its been on my mind, I really REALLY hope they actually use Atriox in the Infinite campaign, but I guess we will have to wait and see.
No spartan is as good as master chief. It’s already been established that he has always been the best of the best. As for the endgame idea, I agree with you on soooooo many levels! Both shipmaster and lord hood, were really great characters and it would be awesome to see them again.
He's still on the Ark.
But is that confirmed?
How is he going to leave the Ark when the Enduring Conviction has been destroyed? That was the only confirmed way he got to the Ark. The portal network is also destroyed and the Portal to Voi is still closed.
Not quite destroyed but shut down by whatever stranded them there in the first place. Possibly a failsafe or a result of the Created, we aren't sure.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
He's still on the Ark.
But is that confirmed?
Not quite destroyed but shut down by whatever stranded them there in the first place. Possibly a failsafe or a result of the Created, we aren't sure.
I never said the Portal to Voi was destroyed just it was still closed it had to be because of the Guardian EMP, but the Portal Network that we killed Decimus near was destroyed wasn't there an entire mission dedicated to that?
Atriox is still on the Ark battling with The Spirit of Fire.

You brought up a lot of good questions and plot points and I had those same questions.

The answer to these questions is that Halo Infinite is a platform. All halo content for the next 10 years supposedly will be released on Infinite.

That means that there will be additional Stories and Full campaigns long after this Release has happened. 343 also confirmed that most of these questions would be answered in game.
Still engaged in conflict on the ark with the UNSC
I suspect that we see him in the Shadows of Reach book and whatever event that caused MasterChief to be alone in the trailer for Halo Infinite also has to deal with why we don't see the rest of Blue Team or Atriox being mentioned in Halo Infinite so far. My prediction is that Blue Team and Atriox shows up or is at least mentioned at some point during the game to fill in the gaps in case people dont read the books.,
I suspect that we see him in the Shadows of Reach book and whatever event that caused MasterChief to be alone in the trailer for Halo Infinite also has to deal with why we don't see the rest of Blue Team or Atriox being mentioned in Halo Infinite so far. My prediction is that Blue Team and Atriox shows up or is at least mentioned at some point during the game to fill in the gaps in case people dont read the books.,
This is the problem that 343i keeps failing to learn: using other media (books, comics, Halo Wars / Halo Wars 2) to tell stories that are necessary or very helpful to understand what is going on in-game is a mistake. Worst offender: The Didact was resurrected and then killed again in a comic, with not even a peep about him in Halo 5. I was either expecting a confirmation of his death or his return in Halo 5. It's easy for them to explain The Banished in Infinite (splinter group lead by Brutes, easy enough to follow), but if Blue Team is gone without an explanation then people like me who only play the mainline games will be very very confused and frustrated. If I could change one thing about how Halo is being handled now I would forbid them from making any books or spinoffs that have any impact on the main games' stories. The best books were the Forerunner Trilogy IMO, which provided lots of interesting world-building but were not necessary in order to understand Halo 4's story.
znazanz777 wrote:
This is the problem that 343i keeps failing to learn: using other media (books, comics, Halo Wars / Halo Wars 2) to tell stories that are necessary or very helpful to understand what is going on in-game is a mistake. Worst offender: The Didact was resurrected and then killed again in a comic, with not even a peep about him in Halo 5. I was either expecting a confirmation of his death or his return in Halo 5. It's easy for them to explain The Banished in Infinite (splinter group lead by Brutes, easy enough to follow), but if Blue Team is gone without an explanation then people like me who only play the mainline games will be very very confused and frustrated. If I could change one thing about how Halo is being handled now I would forbid them from making any books or spinoffs that have any impact on the main games' stories. The best books were the Forerunner Trilogy IMO, which provided lots of interesting world-building but were not necessary in order to understand Halo 4's story.
I wouldn't consider Didact being in Escalations as being an offender for necessary information. For all intents and purposes, players can be under the impression that he died at the end of Halo 4 and be no worse off for it. The Next 72 Hours really dropped the ball on the Didact, but that's a different discussion.

Honestly, I don't think 343i has as much of an issue with outside media that people like to purport. There definitely are certain pieces of media that can be necessary, but by and large it's superfluous. Halo 4's narrative is understandable enough on its own, and Halo 5's narrative is a mess whether you delve into the EU or not.

I saw a post by Nihilus Shadow some years ago and I think it's the most succinct on 343i's overall narrative issues: exposition. They unload too much information at one time (see Librarian cutscene) or they give the most bare-bones explanation to certain characters (see Blue team). That should be the sole focal point for refinement, not just 'too much book lore' that I've seen leveled at 343i.
tL Armada wrote:
I saw a post by Nihilus Shadow some years ago and I think it's the most succinct on 343i's overall narrative issues: exposition. They unload too much information at one time (see Librarian cutscene) or they give the most bare-bones explanation to certain characters (see Blue team). That should be the sole focal point for refinement, not just 'too much book lore' that I've seen leveled at 343i.
This might be a more accurate way of stating my feelings on the matter. I think the heavy amount of exposition gives the feeling that 343i is filling the player in on something that they should have already known, which is where my thoughts on the "too much book lore" comes from. I still think that's a problem, but not as much of a problem as I had thought before you brought up exposition being perhaps the more pertinent issue.
It's possible that Chief wants to take down the Banished because it's the immediate threat, or because Cortana and the Created are working together and taking them down requires the Banished getting removed from the equation.