Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Which books have you read?

OP Kirsty4Blood

Which books, both graphic and regular novels, have you read?

Novels:
Fall of Reach
First Strike
Silent Storm
Halo: Evolutions
Halo: Last Light
Halo Mythos
Halsey's journal (does that count?)

I'm currently reading Halo Retribution and Bad Blood. I was going to read The Flood, but everyone has said skip it lol.

Graphic Novels:
Lone Wolf
Halo Escalation
Tales from Slipspace

What about you guys? Do I have any glaring ones that I'm missing that you love?
I've read most, but not all. I have a few to catch up on, but what I really want to dig into is the graphic novels.
Zachu511 wrote:
I've read most, but not all. I have a few to catch up on, but what I really want to dig into is the graphic novels.
I really recommend Lone Wolf. All three volumes are out on one collection now. It's a quick read but I liked it. And Tales from Slipspace had some good ones in there too
I've read everything up to this point. Just waiting on Meridian Divide and Oblivion!
I'm currently reading Halo Retribution and Bad Blood. I was going to read The Flood, but everyone has said skip it lol.
I'd still recommend reading The Flood. The parts focusing on Chief are really just a novelization of the game, but there are some internal thoughts/monologues that expand on the Chief's and Cortana's characters. Then the rest of the book focuses on the surrounding characters that weren't in the game, like Melissa McKay and the rest of the ODSTs aboard the PoA and some of the Covenant characters as well. Fireteam Raven is actually based on a lot of the additional material in The Flood since that fireteam is one of the ODST units that landed on Installation 04 along with the Chief.

It's well worth the read imo.
Zachu511 wrote:
I really recommend Lone Wolf. All three volumes are out on one collection now. It's a quick read but I liked it. And Tales from Slipspace had some good ones in there too
I like the concept. When you here about some of the S-IIs Service Record Books, they've done so much. It's a great source of Comic Fodder!
I've read everything up to this point. Just waiting on Meridian Divide and Oblivion!
I'd still recommend reading The Flood. The parts focusing on Chief are really just a novelization of the game, but there are some internal thoughts/monologues that expand on the Chief's and Cortana's characters. Then the rest of the book focuses on the surrounding characters that weren't in the game, like Melissa McKay and the rest of the ODSTs aboard the PoA and some of the Covenant characters as well. Fireteam Raven is actually based on a lot of the additional material in The Flood since that fireteam is one of the ODST units that landed on Installation 04 along with the Chief.

I'm really looking forward to Oblivion, I enjoyed Silent Storm quite a bit, I would say it's in my top 2 so far. How are the Forerunner books? I've been interested in those as well.
Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will give The Flood a read, to get the fuller picture of CE.
I have read The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, Contact Harvest, The Cole Protocol, New Blood, Hunters in the Dark, Envoy, Bad Blood, Silent Storm, Glasslands, Thursday War, and Cryptum.

I started but never finished Broken Circle, Mortal Dictata, and Primordium

I own but haven't read Smoke and Shadow, Retribution(I think), and Battleborn.

I do not own Saints Testimony, Shadow of Intent, Smoke and Shadow, Renegades, and Meridian Divide.

I really wish they would make those digital only titles into actual novels. I know they are short so they could just combine them and make it a book of books lol. I am super excited for Oblivion to release, I preordered it on amazon but I think I will hold off on reading it so I can read it on my flight to North Carolina in November.
Halo: The Fall of Reach
Halo: Silent Storm
Halo: New Blood
Halo: Bad Blood

I’ve partially read these:

Halo: The Flood
Halo: First Strike
Halo: Ghosts of Onyx
Halo: Contact Harvest

I'm really looking forward to Oblivion, I enjoyed Silent Storm quite a bit, I would say it's in my top 2 so far. How are the Forerunner books? I've been interested in those as well.
Thanks for the suggestion! I think I will give The Flood a read, to get the fuller picture of CE.
If you really want to explore the deep lore of Halo (and quite frankly understand H4/H5's stories more completely), then I would highly recommend the Forerunner Trilogy. Just beware that the writing style is bit more ornate and descriptive compared to some of the other books. I actually quite liked that about the trilogy, since it fit with the Forerunner aesthetic, but it can make it a bit hard to get into and fully understand what's happening. I had to read the books twice to fully appreciate them.

Glad to hear it! I understand why some would recommend just skipping The Flood, but I feel that it is a very underappreciated book in the EU because it is mostly just marketed as a novelization of the game.
I've partially read these:

Halo: The FloodH First StrikeH Ghosts of OnyxHalo: Contact Harvest
Can I ask why you haven't finished arguably the 3 best books? Referring to the latter 3 books. I can understand not finishing Flood

EDIT: Not sure what happened to the text in the quote lol
I've read the anthologies, the novels (except for this year's releases... life happens, but I'll catch up), Halsey's Journal, and about half the comics.
Falconx03 wrote:
I have read The Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, Ghosts of Onyx, Contact Harvest, The Cole Protocol, New Blood, Hunters in the Dark, Envoy, Bad Blood, Silent Storm, Glasslands, Thursday War, and Cryptum.

I do not own Saints Testimony, Shadow of Intent, Smoke and Shadow, Renegades, and Meridian Divide.

I really wish they would make those digital only titles into actual novels. I know they are short so they could just combine them and make it a book of books lol. I am super excited for Oblivion to release, I preordered it on amazon but I think I will hold off on reading it so I can read it on my flight to North Carolina in November.
Have the Forerunners trapped you in a state of quantum superposition? Seeing as to how you both own and do not own Smoke and Shadow. Also, Meridian Divide hasn't even been released yet, of course you wouldn't own it.

Last but not least, the digital novellas have already been published in print form years ago.
All and all comics too
Falconx03 wrote:

Have the Forerunners trapped you in a state of quantum superposition? Seeing as to how you both own and do not own Smoke and Shadow. Also, Meridian Divide hasn't even been released yet, of course you wouldn't own it.
Last but not least, the digital novellas have already been published in print form years ago.
LMFAO wow I didn't even notice that, I am pretty sure it correctly goes under the own but not read lol. I had the halopedia page open that lists all the novels and I saw the title Meridian Divide but didn't look at release date so I didn't even notice. I just googled the digital ones and did not realize they were in the novel Halo Fractures, can add that to the list of books I do not own haha.
All of them.

Though my favourites would be First Strike, Fall of Reach, Ghosts of Onyx, and Envoy.

But honestly, there isn't a single Halo book I didn't really like (except with Mortal Dictata, though I still enjoyed it to some degree, just much less one).
Fall of reach
The flood
First strike
Contact Harvest
And I loved them all
I've read:

First Contact
The Fall of Reach
The Flood (I'm in the middle of reading it right now)
First Strike
Ghosts of Onyx
Glasslands
Thursday War
Mortal Dictata

I have enjoyed all but the Kilo-5 trilogy (Glasslands, Thursday War, and Mortal Dictata).
Everything. If its a printed piece of Halo media, I have read it. If its a video format, I have watched it. If its a game I have played it.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."