Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Which generation of Spartans is the best?

OP ll swift l

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Here's my thoughts on it (first is best):
1.Spartan II
2.Spartan IV
3.Spartan III

The Spartan IIs seemed like they were the best and almost invincible. The Spartan IIIs were almost the same, but had less augmentations and were expendable. The Spartan IVs were veteran marines/ODSTs and had some augmentations, but were already trained and had improved armor.
Quote:
Spartan IIs.
In regards to the Spartan IIIs being trained better...No. Just no. They recieved the same training, and here's a quote FROM KURT, in Ghosts of Onyx when he returned to CC to retrieve ammo/call for assistance, and saw his MJOLNIR armor that he wore the first day he met the new trainees.

Quote:
"MJOLNIR armor was superior in every way to the SPI unit. Wearing it Kurt would be able to protect his SPARTAN-IIIs better, destroy these drones more efficiently...."
That says, that even with their "better training" which only consisted of simply working together more like a family, unlike the IIs. A Spartan II is STILL better than a III. Think about it. If Kurt had been wearing the MJOLNIR armor at the end of Ghosts of Onyx, then he might've actually survived, and been able to get more of the IIIs out of there.

My vote goes...
SPARTAN II -First rule of remakes: Don't f*ck with the original.

SPARTAN IV -While pretty new, they have far more experience fighting the Covenant than the IIIs. The IIIs are only seen in a few operations, while the IVs are veteran members of the UNSC's armed forces. Also, the IVs are more HUMAN than the IIs or IIIs. That's because they weren't practically bred for combat.

SPARTAN III -While they are new, only a few of them survived to see their young adult years. (Their suicide missions not withstanding...) That's not a very good track record...While most of the IIs lived to be in their, what? 30s, before the majority of them fell to the Covenant at Reach?

Guaranteed if the IIs were 300 strong, and were placed in the shoes of the IIIs, they would've gotten each job done quicker, more efficiently, and with far fewer casualties.
Sorry mate but that's awful logic.

1. The Spartan IIIs were better trained. It's explicitly stated in the book that Kurt revised and improved the training regime for the Alpha's, making it even more rigorous than even the training the IIs received. He then improved the training with each batch. The Gammas were even trained by two Beta company Spartan IIIs alongside Kurt-051 and here's a quote from Kurt describing them as "The best batch of Spartans yet". I highly doubt a Spartan II would get that wrong.

2. You can't give the IIs a technological advantage by giving them Mjolnir and then say that the IIs are better. That's like giving someone a tank and putting them up against someone with an assault rifle and claiming the person in the tank is better because they can kill more. If given Mjolnir, the IIIs would be on par with the IIs.

3. (This bit is regarding the underline SPARTAN III section): How can you say that only a few survived and then follow that with "Their suicide missions not withstanding"? They were designed for suicide missions, they were meant to be expendable, that's why they weren't given Mjolnir. How can you have a good track record when you're designed for death against overwhelming odds? Their missions were all still successful despite their massive casualties and the odds they were up against. If the IIs struggled to defend the generators during the fall of Reach, they wouldn't stand a chance of survival in these suicide missions. Don't forget the IIIs were 12-15 years old when they took part in the suicide missions.

4. That's not a guarantee, if the IIs were 300 strong and equipped with SPI, it would be the same results.

In Ghosts of Onyx, the Spartan IIs were impressed by the Spartan IIIs despite them only being around 12 years old at the time. They each held their own, and one of the IIs (I forgot who, I think it's Fred) was highly impressed by Dante's resilience as he managed to keep going despite his grievous wounds until he eventually succumbed to them.
Quote:
Spartan IIs.
In regards to the Spartan IIIs being trained better...No. Just no. They recieved the same training, and here's a quote FROM KURT, in Ghosts of Onyx when he returned to CC to retrieve ammo/call for assistance, and saw his MJOLNIR armor that he wore the first day he met the new trainees.

Quote:
"MJOLNIR armor was superior in every way to the SPI unit. Wearing it Kurt would be able to protect his SPARTAN-IIIs better, destroy these drones more efficiently...."
That says, that even with their "better training" which only consisted of simply working together more like a family, unlike the IIs. A Spartan II is STILL better than a III. Think about it. If Kurt had been wearing the MJOLNIR armor at the end of Ghosts of Onyx, then he might've actually survived, and been able to get more of the IIIs out of there.
Kurt made sure the training for the S-IIIs was superior than his own. It's just a fact that they had better overall training. All your quote proves is that Mjolnir is superior to SPI armor, which is undisputed. If you read beyond that, he chooses SPI armor so he can work as a team with his Spartans, and we find that they are able to fight on par with Kurt (arguable one of the best Spartan-IIs).

Quote:
My vote goes...
SPARTAN II -First rule of remakes: Don't f*ck with the original.

SPARTAN IV -While pretty new, they have far more experience fighting the Covenant than the IIIs. The IIIs are only seen in a few operations, while the IVs are veteran members of the UNSC's armed forces. Also, the IVs are more HUMAN than the IIs or IIIs. That's because they weren't practically bred for combat.

SPARTAN III -While they are new, only a few of them survived to see their young adult years. (Their suicide missions not withstanding...) That's not a very good track record...While most of the IIs lived to be in their, what? 30s, before the majority of them fell to the Covenant at Reach?

Guaranteed if the IIs were 300 strong, and were placed in the shoes of the IIIs, they would've gotten each job done quicker, more efficiently, and with far fewer casualties.
On Spartan-IVs: Not all Spartans have much experience with the Covenant or war. Gabriel Thorne was in the army for about a year before joining the Spartans.

On Spartan-IIIs: Most didn't survive because Spartan-IIIs were bred for suicide missions, and given armor that was vastly inferior to Mjolnir. SPI is basically advanced ODST armor. The Spartan-IIs were never deployed on any missions as remotely suicidal as Operation PROMETHEUS and Operation TORPEDO (the only real exception being the Raid on the Third Fleet of Glorious Consequence [The Package])
(Random) I hope that 343i is listening to all this talk of spartan III's and plans to put in SPI in another DLC for 4.. better yet 4 and 5 :P)

Back on topic, the only way the II's are better is the fact of experience and armor.
Don't get me wrong, I love the II's. Kurts the father of my kind, Spartan III's, and linda is..just wow ^^
I say IIIs are the best. But nearly all of them were wiped out relatively fast because of the type of missions they were sent on, and their vastly inferior armor to what other Spartans had.
I think they are all equal, each Generation has their strengths and weaknesses
The Answer to your question OP is Spartan IIs, every generation since then has just been a further watered down version of the previous ones.

Quote:
The Answer to your question OP is Spartan IIs, every generation since then has just been a further watered down version of the previous ones.

Very incorrect. While the S-IIs are the most experienced, every program since has attempted to replicate the outcome. All available evidence points to success for both the IIIs and IVs
The IIs. Far more experience and better genes. Better armor than the IIIs as well.

1. IIs
2. IIIs
3. IVs
Quote:
Quote:

Very incorrect. While the S-IIs are the most experienced, every program since has attempted to replicate the outcome. All available evidence points to success for both the IIIs and IVs
I never said they weren't successful, but the Spartan IIIs are not as good as the IIs, hell assuming one would make it through a tour of duty alive, the augmentations would eventually kill them.

IVs are augmented but from what I've seen they are not much better then ODSTs.

the IIs were godlike in their ability, I've never heard of a III or IV ever punch a hole through an elite like Master Chief did.

IIs accomplished so much, and it was only BECAUSE they could be produced in small numbers that they didn't win the war.

But during the development of the IIIs it was stated that to increase the number of produce able Spartans and increase the survival rate after augmentation they had to essentially water down the process and expand the genetic selection.

IVs are even MORE watered down because IVs expect to live for the foreseeable future.

So yes, while the IIIs and IVs are successful, pound for pound in terms of enhancement and just the quality of soldiering, they are watered down compared to the Spartan IIs

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I never said they weren't successful, but the Spartan IIIs are not as good as the IIs, hell assuming one would make it through a tour of duty alive, the augmentations would eventually kill them.

IVs are augmented but from what I've seen they are not much better then ODSTs.

the IIs were godlike in their ability, I've never heard of a III or IV ever punch a hole through an elite like Master Chief did.

IIs accomplished so much, and it was only BECAUSE they could be produced in small numbers that they didn't win the war.

But during the development of the IIIs it was stated that to increase the number of produce able Spartans and increase the survival rate after augmentation they had to essentially water down the process and expand the genetic selection.

IVs are even MORE watered down because IVs expect to live for the foreseeable future.

So yes, while the IIIs and IVs are successful, pound for pound in terms of enhancement and just the quality of soldiering, they are watered down compared to the Spartan IIs

Well, those points simply aren't true.

1. Expecting the IIIs to "Make it through a tour of duty alive' when they are explicitly stated to be designed as expendable and sent on suicide missions is ridiculous. The IIs would be wiped out as well if they were sent on the same missions as the IIIs (Not to mention the IIIs were highly successful in missions before their suicide missions, with no confirmed casualties. Alpha company crushed an insurrection on Mamore and then had an exemplary performance during the Battle of New Constantinople while they were only around 11-13 years old. They were highly successful in numerous campaigns and missions for nine months before their suicide missions. How would their augmentations kill them? Jun-A266 is still alive and he's 29 years old in 2553.

2. Well you're wrong there as well. We haven't seen the IVs portrayed properly yet but some of the things they accomplished on Requiem would have been nothing but a dream to ODSTs. A single team of Spartan IVs infiltrated and destroyed a CRS light cruiser from the inside. ODSTs wouldn't have been able to do that. Crimson's participation in numerous missions were also highly impressive.

3. Seems like you're a bit of a Spartan II fanboy tbh. The IIs were legendary yes, but the facts point to the assumption that the IIIs are just as good. Covenant troops during Alpha Company's suicide mission actually retreated because the IIIs were destroying them in hand to hand combat. They knew it would be suicide to engage the IIIs in hand to hand and so they retreated, and that was in SPI armour. I suppose they could easily crush an elite's skull even without Mjolnir. if given Mjolnir, it's definitely a fact that they could.

4. The IIIs accomplished a lot as well given the circumstances they were thrust into.

5. That's not true. Advancements in medicine and technology allowed them to augment the IIIs safely with the same results as the Spartan II program. As a result, they could allow for slightly less restrictive gene requirements as the children wouldn't need to have "perfect" genes to survive the augmentation process. It wasn't watered down at all.

6. What? How's that so? Once again, advancements in medicine and technology have allowed for similar augmentations to what the IIIs had to be applied to adult humans safely instead of just teenagers. What you said wasn't a fact, just something you made up with no evidence to support your claim.

The IIIs are even better trained than the IIs and if given Mjolnir, they could easily be on par with them. Kurt-051 even stated that the Gamma company Spartan IIIs were the "Best batch of Spartans yet" (Seriously, why is no one paying attention to this quote, it's pretty huge and confirms that the IIIs are just as good as the IIs, if not better). Read through my previous posts in this thread and you'll see that I'm right because I simply can't be bothered to repeat myself again.
Spartan II's were made to save human race, spartan III's were made for missions....... this being said if you put a III against a II,you would see that the spartan II would crush them. simple. don't mess with Spartan II's
Technically the Spartan II's could be considered the best, but the IVs are near enough. And that is if you just put them against each other on a singular basis, IIs had way more training up until they were first used since we'll discount further combat experience from the equation at match them at how they were at the same basic age. They're just a better all around soldier. There's nothing really wrong with IIIs either but they fall short of that too. They're ALL amazing, however.

I find the entire conflict between the different Spartan generations kind of moot as the IV's have caught up in terms of manpower and being able to be applied to experienced soldiers as well (Buck, etc,) so the back and forth is kind of pointless as they're on mostly equal footing right now. There's no reason to say an individual from any generation can be considered the best....I mean we technically played one of the best IIIs, and we've seen IV's pull off feats of heroism and skill as well.
The Spartan II
Threads never die.. theyre just necroed back..
probably the SPARTAN-II's are the best for their superior augmentations, lifetime of training and the best gear UNSC can produce. Also, if we think of them in a current time in Halo universe, they are all experienced combat veterans with their own fighting styles fitting a SPARTAN supersoldier.
the next ones are probably the SPARTAN-III's who have augmentations but not as good as the originals, lifetime of training like the SPARTAN-II's, cheaper gear suited for suicide missions as in its not that much of a loss as SPARTAN-II gear and years of experience and military tactics.
and lastly (as the ORION or by other name SPARTAN-I didnt exactly produce same kind of supersoldiers as the other SPARTAN projects though some of them were quite superhuman like the Johnson)
are the SPARTAN-IV's for their own kind of training (though its considerably shorter than the last 2 were), their augmentations which are either between the last 2 or worse than the 2 given that the last 2 were augmented since they were kids, their gear which seems to be the best that UNSC has though those look stupid with the variations which doesnt seem to have visors or have somekind of bumbs that add useless weight giving them disadvantages over others and their years of combat experience that might be as long as many of the SPARTANs thought its the experience with the Marine and ODST tactics which are different but has their own uses, even as a SPARTAN.
I think it very heavily relies on an individual basis. Spartan II's like the Chief and Jerome are some of the most iconic characters in history. The II's were far more heavily augmented and were trained from a far younger age than the rest of the Spartans. The Spartan III's (who were given the mjolnir armor) were also deadly adversaries. They were still extremely augmented, but not to the same extent as the II's. Though the IV's were well equipped in the newer armor, their augmentations were far more limited than any of the other Spartans and this puts them at a disadvantage. I think ultimately it's any of the surviving Spartan II's equipped with the Mk VI Mjolnir armor are the best. They are the most extensively augmented and best equipped.
i'd have to go with SIIs because they're simply bred to kill and be the best soldier possible
but my personal fav are SIIIs
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2