Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Which Halo book is the Best?

OP Viper SIV

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
I Personally Love the Fall of Reach and the Newly released Envoy.
The Cole Protocol is my favorite.
I really enjoyed First Strike. I take that back I really enjoyed all of Erick Nyland's books.
Any of the nylund books
Halo The Fall of Reach is the best.
Fall of Reach and First Strike, I mean any book by my boy Eric Nylund.
Silentium.
The Cole Protocol is my favorite.
Hey, same.
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
It's hard to decide between Nylunds books. It's either The fall of Reach or First strike. Though I really liked Forunner saga too.
I liked New Blood
Spoiler:
Show
Any of the Nylund Trilogy. I enjoyed Contact Harvest too.
Doctor Halsey's Journal.
I have to give high marks to Fall of Reach, First Strike, Contact Harvest, Ghosts of Onyx, Broken Circle, Hunters in the Dark and Last Light.

Really I have yet to come across a Halo book that I have vehemently disliked.

GH
I like almost all of them except the kilo-five trilogy and glasslands the forerunner trilogy is one of the best but nothing can beat the original eric nylund trilogy,the cole protocol,new blood and envoy
Viper SIV wrote:
Is Envoy a good starting point? I've only played the games and want to know more about the expanded universe. I read the back of Envoy at BN and it seems like a stand alone title (I don't really want to read one of the Halo books if it feels like I need a quicklink to Halopedia right next to me).
For the longest time it was The Fall of Reach, it seemed like we were going year after year with more Halo releases, and despite the fact that they were all great, none of them seemed to match the masterpiece that is Fall of Reach.

But New Blood completely blew my mind, Edward Buck was so perfectly captured on the page and the story itself was incredible. It established the post-war setting much better than the entire Kilo-Five trilogy. And man it nearly breaks my heart when at various points throughout the novel. The only thing that would make it better was if they got Nathan Fillion to do the audiobook.
Viper SIV wrote:
Is Envoy a good starting point? I've only played the games and want to know more about the expanded universe. I read the back of Envoy at BN and it seems like a stand alone title (I don't really want to read one of the Halo books if it feels like I need a quicklink to Halopedia right next to me).
If you're interested in getting into the Halo expanded universe, I would not recommend Envoy to be your starting point. The Fall of Reach is the first novel any fan should read. It's the perfect introduction to the entire universe, which makes sense because it was the first novel released.

Envoy is great but it really expects the reader to be familiar with the universe. You have to work your way up there. But I envy you for getting to read these books all for the first time, they're all great.
I'm gonna have to go with the Fall of Reach. Really fleshed out world, characters and simple yet descriptive narrative. I personally read the novel 4-5times all the way through, and several parts scattered here and there. Loved the naval combat sections. Really started my foray into Halo lore.

however, I may be looking back at it with rose colored glasses.
Has to be Ghosts of Onyx for me.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2