Forums / Community / Halo Universe

which halo title has the best story

OP Tendedphanton

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Halo 3
Halo 3. It's a fantastic follow up to Halo 2, which would make my number two choice for best story
halo 1. Exiting slipspace in the middle of nowhere months after reach...crash landing on the alien ring known as Halo... the horror of reawakaning the nightmare from under installation 04 waiting patiently...for 100,000 years to rise and strike again...

And finding the true purpose of halo.

The gun pointed at the head of the Universe.

True perfection.
Even though it ruined the already established lore, Halo Reach did. It had AMAZING storytelling capabilities, and really just poured so much emotion into Halo as a whole.
halo 1. Exiting slipspace in the middle of nowhere months after reach...crash landing on the alien ring known as Halo... the horror of reawakaning the nightmare from under installation 04 waiting patiently...for 100,000 years to rise and strike again...

True perfection.
💯% Agree with this. It's hard for me to pick any Halo games story or campaign over Halo CE, it's just to iconic. Halo 2 is probably my 2nd favorite.
halo 3 is beatiful
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
Halo 4. It put a heavy focus on thematic motif and metaphor, and relied on character and emotion more than the other games. Bungie's storytelling is a lot like mine: too logical and straightforward, very little artistic thought. It's a problem I'm trying to overcome as a writer.

ODST and Halo 2 come close though.
Oh man. That’s a tough one. I did love a specific moment from all of the halo games (yes, even 4 and 5). But in all honestly, I’d say a tie between Halos 2 and 3. I’d say 3 had the slightly better story but 2 just felt more nostalgic to me. Halo CE can definitely come in with a close third with its great story but it’s successors just had slightly better stories to me.
To me the best story is Halo 4. While the others are good they just didn't go into detail or something because they just wasn't as immersive as H4. I realize H4 isn't as popular as other Halo titles but that was mainly due to the multiplayer not the campaign so much. H4 art style wasn't to good, deformed gummy bear grunts and promeatheans just not very well done... Stroy wise was solid. H4 had what could have been a great set up for H5....Chief hunting for Halsey who was with the Covenant to fix Cortana and Locke hunting for him... All while the UNSC had to search for the other half of the Janus Key.
Halo 4. Even though the story was confusing for those not fimilar with the expanded lore, for those that do read the lore though, I think it’s the best Halo story. With Halo 3 right behind it.
Halo 2 and I don't even think its close honestly. Halo 2 had a narrative complexity that really puts the rest of the video game series to shame and falls more in line with the books.
Halo 2 hands down... had a few iconic moments within one plot.
I am torn between 3 and 4 tbh
Halo 2 and I don't even think its close honestly. Halo 2 had a narrative complexity that really puts the rest of the video game series to shame and falls more in line with the books.
I agree, can’t say about the books, but Halo 2 I really think brought the amazing plot and ingenuity in CE (probably my second) to the next level. I think Halo 3, ODST, Reach, 4 and 5 had their moments, but Halo 2 I believe, defined the franchise.
After sitting down and actually playing Combat Evolved, I'd have to say that.
I have enjoyed them all, but none hit me quite the way Reach did. Knowing the final outcome, I was more invested in the nuances of the story, and each loss along the way.

True perfection.
That 5#iT gets me hard
I mean I love all the Halo games stories, yes even H5, and it’s not just blind faith. They each offer something unique and amazing although H5’s offer is more hidden and you really have to search to find the appreciation. But if I had to pick one above them all, I’d have to go with Reach. Why? Well firstly it set a new tone on the Halo games. It wasn’t all happy ever after, it was an amazing prelude to the iconic franchise starter Halo CE, and it made good references to the expanded universe, although, it did butcher its attempts to reference other expanded universe content at the same time. Secondly, it had great character set up giving you an emotional attachment to characters before they die showing you how desperate the fight was that even the mightiest of the UNSC combatatntbin the battle, the Sparatans, did fall to, and thirdly the music composition along with the atmosphere really made me believe that all hope was lost and that I was always fighting uphill from the moment I set boots on the ground near the relay station in the first mission. In fact, I love the game so much that I’ve made my own personal lore concluding that Spartan-B312 (Noble Six) had survived the last stand against the Elites through means of hand-to-hand combat and using their energy swords/daggers against them to prevail. There is nitpicking evidence that you can use to support this theory, and one of those nitpicks would be the fact that he is a hyper-lethal vector. With all the nitpicks combined however, I can keep my OCD at bay whilst believing he is alive, but again that’s my personal lore and you won’t convinve me otherwise. So with all that being said that is why Reach is one of my favourite Halo campaigns.
Halo 2. Easy one, I am one of those dudes who thinks it earned the cliffhanger. Both Halo and Halo 3 come at second place for me. I can't pick one of those two. Halo 4's was also good.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2