Forums / Community / Halo Universe

which halo title has the best story

OP Tendedphanton

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. ...
  5. 3
Probably Halo 2. Halo 2 has an awesome, developing story showing both sides (Elite and Spartan), and Halo 2 shows the human elite alliance being formed.
for me it was halo reach since it is almost the origin of the whole saga and of 117
Halo 2 has by far the most cohesive, well written campaign story.
Either CE or 2
Halo 2 is the best one in my opinion, though CE and 4 are close.
Halo 3 has the best campaign in my opinion but the best story? I dont see it. I would say either halo 2 or halo 4.
Halo CE was more defined by its setting than real storytelling or characters. It was good but not even close to the best.
Halo 2 is one of if not the peak in Halo storytelling, and while the split perspective was/is controversial, what really hurt the story was its cliffhanger.
Halo 3 was a conclusion to Halo 2, as such the story felt lacking but was well done none the less.
Halo 4 ranges from okay to (imo) the best narrative among the games which depends on whether or not you read all the relevant material prior to the game. It is different to the other games in the sense that its story is very character driven and ultimately has (prior to Halo 5 release) the most emotionally impactful ending.
Halo 5 was very average. Its narrative was a mess and the characters were not well developed. A cliffhanger ending also did not help.
Halo 3 ODST was definitely one of the best in terms of getting to know the characters and getting the players to care about them, although I felt that the overarching story was average and didn't seem to matter such.
Halo Reach was weaker than ODST in terms of character investment and overall story, but it makes up for it with its great storytelling and mood.
Combat Evolved all the way. That fresh start of stepping out into an unknown world, battling across extremely diverse terrains, and unraveling ancient mysteries all for the first time. 3 is a close second, and 2 would be next.
Halo 4 for me. Its everything I wanted in a Halo game. So satisfying with the emotion and Chief not being a cheesy one liner. It never gets old to me.
Halo 1 or 2
Before Halo 5 ruined it, Halo 4 would easily win. However with how badly they screwed up with the direction of the storyline post 4 (really killing Black Team in a bad comic and having the Didact die in one) and with how Guardians went the magic of 4 is gone. Which means it is either CE or 2 for me, based on if I am willing to overlook the abrupt ending of 2.
Y'all mind if I just slide on in, and trigger people by saying my favorite Halo title that had the best story(in my opinion) was Halo:5.
Halo 4.The writing did so many things right.
Halo 2 is a close second.
Plot-wise would have to be halo 2. Campaign overall goes to Reach for me, not because of the plot, but because of how it made you feel. No matter what you did, reach still fell.
Y'all mind if I just slide on in, and trigger people by saying my favorite Halo title that had the best story(in my opinion) was Halo:5.
I’m not triggered at all by what you say, as it is an opinion after all. If Halo 5 did have stronger development in character and took the “Hunt the Truth” part more seriously then I would be right there with you, but for me I think the writing was really fumbled and definitely could’ve been better. The concept of it was brilliant but the execution was definitely not what 343 could achieve, maybe Infinite will be a solution to the disaster of Halo 5?
Halo 2 will always be my favorite.
Halo 2 without a doubt. It expanded upon CE times 10. It gave the covenant a personality. Introduced the Brutes, the prophets, and the Gravemind. Truth and Tartarus are really great villains. The dialogue/voice acting is still the best of any Halo imo. And it's also Chief at his most badass. Love that story so much.
I mean I love all the Halo games stories, yes even H5, and it’s not just blind faith. They each offer something unique and amazing although H5’s offer is more hidden and you really have to search to find the appreciation. But if I had to pick one above them all, I’d have to go with Reach. Why? Well firstly it set a new tone on the Halo games. It wasn’t all happy ever after, it was an amazing prelude to the iconic franchise starter Halo CE, and it made good references to the expanded universe, although, it did butcher its attempts to reference other expanded universe content at the same time. Secondly, it had great character set up giving you an emotional attachment to characters before they die showing you how desperate the fight was that even the mightiest of the UNSC combatatntbin the battle, the Sparatans, did fall to, and thirdly the music composition along with the atmosphere really made me believe that all hope was lost and that I was always fighting uphill from the moment I set boots on the ground near the relay station in the first mission. In fact, I love the game so much that I’ve made my own personal lore concluding that Spartan-B312 (Noble Six) had survived the last stand against the Elites through means of hand-to-hand combat and using their energy swords/daggers against them to prevail. There is nitpicking evidence that you can use to support this theory, and one of those nitpicks would be the fact that he is a hyper-lethal vector. With all the nitpicks combined however, I can keep my OCD at bay whilst believing he is alive, but again that’s my personal lore and you won’t convinve me otherwise. So with all that being said that is why Reach is one of my favourite Halo campaigns.
I also agree that Reach told the best story of the games. I really liked that, as was said in the first teaser, from the beginning you know the end. No matter how hard you try, no matter what you do, you will not save Reach. And you are given time to relate to each member of Noble team, making each of their deaths that more tragic.
I mean I love all the Halo games stories, yes even H5, and it’s not just blind faith. They each offer something unique and amazing although H5’s offer is more hidden and you really have to search to find the appreciation. But if I had to pick one above them all, I’d have to go with Reach. Why? Well firstly it set a new tone on the Halo games. It wasn’t all happy ever after, it was an amazing prelude to the iconic franchise starter Halo CE, and it made good references to the expanded universe, although, it did butcher its attempts to reference other expanded universe content at the same time. Secondly, it had great character set up giving you an emotional attachment to characters before they die showing you how desperate the fight was that even the mightiest of the UNSC combatatntbin the battle, the Sparatans, did fall to, and thirdly the music composition along with the atmosphere really made me believe that all hope was lost and that I was always fighting uphill from the moment I set boots on the ground near the relay station in the first mission. In fact, I love the game so much that I’ve made my own personal lore concluding that Spartan-B312 (Noble Six) had survived the last stand against the Elites through means of hand-to-hand combat and using their energy swords/daggers against them to prevail. There is nitpicking evidence that you can use to support this theory, and one of those nitpicks would be the fact that he is a hyper-lethal vector. With all the nitpicks combined however, I can keep my OCD at bay whilst believing he is alive, but again that’s my personal lore and you won’t convinve me otherwise. So with all that being said that is why Reach is one of my favourite Halo campaigns.
I also agree that Reach told the best story of the games. I really liked that, as was said in the first teaser, from the beginning you know the end. No matter how hard you try, no matter what you do, you will not save Reach. And you are given time to relate to each member of Noble team, making each of their deaths that more tragic.
The timing of your team mates deaths was perfect in Reach. As you said it made them more tragic. They did this through the writing of the character that was about to die. As you began to like that character they die which again makes you upset and makes you care, and because of that I don’t really like Jun too much because he never really got the spotlight in the game.
In this order:
  1. Halo 3
  2. Halo Reach
  3. Halo 2
  4. Halo CE
  5. Halo 5
  6. Halo Wars
  7. Halo 4
  8. Halo Wars 2
  9. Halo Spartan Assault
  1. 1
  2. ...