Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Who would win in a fight Spartan 2 vs Spartan 3

OP greenpromethean

I’ve always wondered what makes the superior Spartan better than the rest as each Spartan preforms differently so which Spartan would win in a one on one fight with no weapons, equipment, AI or support. Just Spartan vs Spartan because It has always bugged me how the UNSC know which Spartan is going to preform better than the rest in tough situations like a combat zone. I don’t know which would win but I’d like to know what anyone else thinks or if this questions has been on anyone else mind?
Spartan 2s have more experience and better discipline, but the augmentations of the Spartan 4s are at least equal. My vote is that the experience would win out over young muscle. After all, we saw Locke against John, and Master Chief made Locke punch himself in the face after ripping his rifle out of his hands and breaking it over his head. If the Chief had wanted Jameson Locke dead, he would have been.
True that’s why I think Master chief as a Spartan is probably able to win any fight. Thanks for answering the question if you know any more facts about how older Spartans are better than new ones I’d like to hear more as it’s interesting when Spartans are put against one another to determine which preforms better on the field. But personally myself I would vote for chief anyway wether he won or lost would be no concern to me as he is the best Spartan.
SII.
The reason is that SII's are the inferior program. Too much focus was on creating ubermen as they were intended for precision strikes against Insurrectionist leadership, not the type of high cost warfare against the Covenant. The result of this was that the augmentation process created bigger and better soldiers, but also washed out 50% of them.

That sort of cost is unacceptable for the SIII program. Augmentation technology improved, which might also mean understanding what will likely kill a person and isn't worth doing. They also had to tone it down as the broader, less rigorous selection pool of candidates created more potential outliers. So the soldiers aren't as strong and tough, but intelligence and teamwork are more important factors that they retain. The result is far fewer amounts of washouts, and by Gamma company 100% survived which is unbelievably good.

I think the best SIII to put up a fight against an SII would be a member of Gamma company, as Kurt gave them a controversial brain mutagen aug that makes them more fearless and resistant to pain. Also let's face it, the SII's aren't getting younger, a prime Gamma SIII would be tough.
Diovangelo wrote:
SII.
The reason is that SII's are the inferior program. Too much focus was on creating ubermen as they were intended for precision strikes against Insurrectionist leadership, not the type of high cost warfare against the Covenant. The result of this was that the augmentation process created bigger and better soldiers, but also washed out 50% of them.

That sort of cost is unacceptable for the SIII program. Augmentation technology improved, which might also mean understanding what will likely kill a person and isn't worth doing. They also had to tone it down as the broader, less rigorous selection pool of candidates created more potential outliers So the soldiers aren't as strong and tough, but intelligence and teamwork are more important factors that they retain. The result is far fewer amounts of washouts, and by Gamma company 100% survived which is unbelievably good.

I think the best SIII to put up a fight against an SII would be a member of Gamma company, as Kurt gave them a controversial brain mutagen aug that makes them more fearless and resistant to pain. Also let's face it, the SII's aren't getting younger, a prime Gamma SIII would be tough.
I see the point and the facts you’ stated this helps understand the difference between the two and how a fight between them would end based on their strength and augmentations.
Diovangelo wrote:
SII.

That sort of cost is unacceptable for the SIII program. Augmentation technology improved, which might also mean understanding what will likely kill a person and isn't worth doing. They also had to tone it down as the broader, less rigorous selection pool of candidates created more potential outliers. So the soldiers aren't as strong and tough, but intelligence and teamwork are more important factors that they retain. The result is far fewer amounts of washouts, and by Gamma company 100% survived which is unbelievably good.

I'd say I mostly agree. I'm just pleased to see a post that acknowledges continuous development into arms, armor, and augmentations with each iteration of the SPARTAN Program. The usual "S-IIs are best" style post gets old to me, personally.

While there are certainly some differences in training that led to arguably better individual results , the development of armor, weapons, and safer, more effective augmentation (that applied successfully to a broader genetic template) improved with each iteration. Further, the training regimen of each iteration was built off the strengths of the previous, while incorporating new lessons learned at the time, as overseen by experienced operators. For that reason, I don't get behind the S-III or S-IV inferiority stances I regrettably see so often.

So, spot on, I think.
I tend to agree with Greenpromethean - the SII's have this well deserved legendary status, there were large differences in the training and selection processes of the SIII's and SIV's.

I personally would like to see a fight between a SII (say possibly Naomi or Fred) versus a SIII of Gamma company (either Mark or Olivia) I'd choose Gamma company due to the Neural-altering non-carcinogenic mutagen. I think seeing the affects of this kicking in during a prolonged battle with a SII would give a Gamma company SIII a slight edge.
There are pretty noticeable differences between the various Spartan generations.

Spartan 2s:
-Overall they are individually the best Spartans.
-Each of them were freaks/geniuses as kids and their training and augmentations have only made them more outstanding.
-They have the most potent/powerful augmentations.

Spartan 3s:
-Taken from a wider genetic group and so overall not as gifted as the Spartan 2 candidates.
-Psychological problems are much more common than in Spartan 2s.
-Augmentations are similar to their predecessors but somewhat inferior however.
-Training is shorter, tougher, and lacks the general knowledge of the Spartan 2s received.
-Gamma company was considered the finest Spartans ever at the time and received extra illegal augmentations.

Spartan 4s:
-Only adult volunteers. Some from veteran backgrounds, others being younger soldiers that display great potential and aptitude.
-Augmentation weaker than the previous generations due to adult physiology. Gen2 Mjolnir is created in order to compensate.

Logically the order should be S2 > S3 > S4 when out of armour.
Gamma S3 has a good chance of beating a Spartan 2 if both individuals have similar levels of skills and experience.
Depends what class of SIII, Alpha, Beta, or Gamma. But generally the SII’s would win.
Spartan IIs would definitely take the cake, even though Spartan IIIs could probably hold their own fairly well, but Spartan IVs would get destroyed.
Spartan 2 always win, and a Spartan 3 will always beat a Spartan 4.

Spartans are like the Vampires from Masquerade, with each generation the next generation is weaker than the one before it.
Depends on who the S-III is.
Spartan IIIs from Gamma company and Cat2s from Alpha and Bravo company should be able to fight on the same level of a S-II.

Spartans are like the Vampires from Masquerade, with each generation the next generation is weaker than the one before it.
Aye, we all know that Sgt. Johnson could've manhandled the entire Covenant military if he had to. He just didn't want to make the rest of the UNSC look bad.

But seriously, I think that the main advantage of any S-II over a S-III is in the former's greater battlefield experience. S-III's were built to be the textbook definition of disposable asset: send them on high stakes suicide missions to delay the destruction of humanity with a few extra months. Take them away from that environment, give them S-II equivalent equipment and experience and I could see a S-III Gamma mopping the floor with a S-II.
I've enjoyed reading about the Spartan III's in halo last light and Halo retribution, but without mjolnir armor I don't think they stand a chance.

Aye, we all know that Sgt. Johnson could've manhandled the entire Covenant military if he had to. He just didn't want to make the rest of the UNSC look bad.

But seriously, I think that the main advantage of any S-II over a S-III is in the former's greater battlefield experience. S-III's were built to be the textbook definition of disposable asset: send them on high stakes suicide missions to delay the destruction of humanity with a few extra months. Take them away from that environment, give them S-II equivalent equipment and experience and I could see a S-III Gamma mopping the floor with a S-II.
Not really, I mean for the most part Sgt Johnson character was pretty good but with each game, I don't want to say got derpy and derpier but I can't think of any other words of that description. In Halo the only misstep was getting swarmed by Flood but that wasn't his fault and he still was able to get out and fight with an Elite over his assault rifle.
Halo 2 he got knocked out by the arbiter, and captured but was able to free himself and jump in a scarab. Halo 3 he got captured twice (last one failing to take down the shield pylon), activated the Ark's backup firing protocols, and the only one blasted by that annoying blue ball 343 guilty spark. I was kinda cringing at the end of Halo 3's campaign when playing it.
A Spartan II will always beat a Spartan III. While both are evenly matched, the Spartan II has something ingrained in them since day 1 that gives them the edge, will. The sheer will Spartan II's possess is unmatched by any soldier. They will go as far as they can, and then further to complete their task. Spartan III's were never really taught this because of their expendability.

And we're not even going to talk about the Spartan IV's. They dwindle in comparison to the II's and III's.
A Spartan II will always beat a Spartan III. While both are evenly matched, the Spartan II has something ingrained in them since day 1 that gives them the edge, will. The sheer will Spartan II's possess is unmatched by any soldier. They will go as far as they can, and then further to complete their task. Spartan III's were never really taught this because of their expendability.

And we're not even going to talk about the Spartan IV's. They dwindle in comparison to the II's and III's.
I find it strange that the defining feature you discredit to the Spartan-IIIs is their very strength. They will literally lay down their lives to complete their mission. They will jump into dangerous situations and not blink an eye. That was their sole purpose. I don't see them lacking any will whatsoever in the novels that they're shown. Their program being expendable in nature doesn't negate their own drive nor training.

Spartan-IVs, which you disregard, have also shown that they are willing to do whatever it takes and then some, as shown when DeMarco sacrifices himself without question, Davis laying down his life for Palmer, and Osiris going head-first against a Guardian to rescue Blue team.
I think it has to go to the spartan 2s
At face value we have-
spartan 2-
• longer time so more stuff
• it seems slightly better augmentations I terms of output of strength and such (may also be a lot faster)
• are far better trained for individual or very small group missions like a 1v1

spartan 3s-
• shorter training but more rigorous
• better augmentations in terms of durability
• trained for larger group missions

at face value they seem fairly evenly matched with spartan 2s higher damage output in a close quarters brawl being evenly responded to by higher durability of spartan 3s

however here is where the problem for the 3s occurs
the spartan 2 baseline let’s say for a moment we have 4 stats strength, speed, intelligence, durability
for a baseline human it’s at 1 let’s say we multiplayers strength by 6.5 and 6respectively, speed by 6.5 and 6 respectively, intelligence/ speed of thinking by 2 and 1.5, and finally durability by 3 and 4 we have
for a 2: S:6.5 Sp:6.5 int: 2 durability: 3
for a 3: S: 6 Sp: 6.5 int: 2 durability: 4(or even as high as 5)
but we are missing one critical thing here spartan 2 baselines the spartan 2s by the time of augmentation had the bodies of Olympic athletes they were among the most physically capable people in humanity period so let’s say they are 2 times stronger and faster then a normal person at base, not to mention they are all of genius or borderline genius intelligence, in fact I’d go so far as to say we don’t see this even put to true use, the masterchief is probably one of the less intelligent Spartans and the ability of him to weigh options and make extremely intelligent and helpful choices is clearly evident, so the are probably 2-4 times smarter then most people do let’s say 3 time smarter and probably 1.5 times as durable

that bumps spartan 2s up to
S: 13
sp: 13
int: 6
durability: 4
and while I recognize this thought experiment is not indicative of the actual numbers it illustrates my point in theory based on augmentations alone along with training they are on equal footing but considering the generally much much higher base level of spartan 2s it isn’t gonna be a contest in many situations now there are exceptions with some for what spartan 3s clearly being at a similar base level such as noble six and members of noble team are all examples of spartan 3s with almost or the same level of baseline ability as a spartan 2
I think this really depends on your perspective a little. The Spartan-IIIs were suppose to have better augments but alot of Halo related media and fans tend to show favor towards the Spartan-IIs for the fact they have the most compelling backgrounds and also likely because the franchise's main protagonist, John-117 is a Spartan-II. My money would be on the Spartan-IIIs only for their much larger numbers and the fact they actually had a resolve for wanting to join the program as opposed to being kipnapped and persuaded.