Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why did the SOF change from Pods to Pelicans?

OP agent texas359

So been playing Halo Wars 2 and a thing I've noticed is the distinct lack of pods (apparently that's what they're called) and the Firebases they carried in the first Halo Wars so I've begun to wonder why the shift to Pelicans and these smaller outpost type facilities rather than the larger Firebases of old?
Probably after half their pods were destroyed when they scrapped that Covenant destroyer inside Shield World 041 or whatever it was. Whole port side was just BOOM, gone. Shredded.
She's been on her own for 30 years. Probably running on different operational standards now.
Well how many of her resources were used up in the first game? She hasn't received a resupply in 30 years. She can only use what she's got.
Probably after half their pods were destroyed when they scrapped that Covenant destroyer inside Shield World 041 or whatever it was. Whole port side was just BOOM, gone. Shredded.
She's been on her own for 30 years. Probably running on different operational standards now.
Scraping the surface of Shield World 0459 as it underwent self-destruction probably didn't help either.
SC Matt 7 wrote:
Scraping the surface of Shield World 0459 as it underwent self-destruction probably didn't help either.
Nor flying literally close enough to its sun to get baked.
SC Matt 7 wrote:
That was on the port side as well - the side that got peeled open by the Prophet of Regret's CPV destroyer.
...The Spirit of Fire is one tough ship. Nearly memetic Halcyon levels of durability, it seems.
SC Matt 7 wrote:
SC Matt 7 wrote:
That was on the port side as well - the side that got peeled open by the Prophet of Regret's CPV destroyer.
...The Spirit of Fire is one tough ship. Nearly memetic Halcyon levels of durability, it seems.
She's a colony bird. They had to be tough. Their job was to go out into the great unknown and carry a new planets worth of people and supplies to an unsettled world. You dont build a ship like that without serious grit.
Well the pods were made to lift firebases. The new design is too tall for a pod.

Just to clear it up, a Condor drops the main base, and Pelicans drop the buildings.
A Condor is basically the Human version of the Lich.
Probably ran out of them considering how many pods were spammed in the first game :P
Bases being lifted onto the battlefield along with different buildings such as the generators makes more sense than them coming out of the ground. Why would there be pre made room for a Unsc base on a foreunner world.
Yeah I imagine that using pelicans was more efficient on that premise.
Yeah I imagine that using pelicans was more efficient on that premise.
Less fuel, easier repairs most likely, less complicated operations.
Another great reason for why we aren't using pods is that maybe the Spirit of Fire used the rest of the pods to repair the ship while drifting in space.
The spirit of fire lost most of her port side pods when she collided with the CPV Destroyer when they first entered the shield world. Not to mention she hasn't has a resupply in almost 30 years, further leading to them having to conserve even more resources or they are completely out.
SOEIVs (Single Occupant Exoatmospheric Insertion Vehicles) are only really intended for single use. I'd probably guess and have to say that most of the resources intended for recovering dropped/used pods, if possible, were too busy fighting in the original game.

I suspect the number of SOEIVs left is barely into double figures. But, never say never. They may feature later on in the campaign.
SOEIVs (Single Occupant Exoatmospheric Insertion Vehicles) are only really intended for single use. I'd probably guess and have to say that most of the resources intended for recovering dropped/used pods, if possible, were too busy fighting in the original game.

I suspect the number of SOEIVs left is barely into double figures. But, never say never. They may feature later on in the campaign.
wrong pods
http://www.halopedia.org/Pod

Uh, the SOEIV's are the ODST pods. We are talking about the pods use to drop the main base.