Forums / Community / Halo Universe

[Locked] Why do ODST's hate spartans so much?

OP Anguirus2552

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
They all say that Spartans aren't real soldiers, and they're just freaks. Those D-bags would be dead if it weren't for the Spartans, ESPECIALLY the Chief. I can understand why some thought they were freaks when they were first made, but a typical 30-something year old ODST has no reason to hate on the soldiers who have been saving them since before they were born.
Because the ODST companies are used to being the top dogs, and the Spartans came and stole all their glory. Due to their augs and armor, they feel like they are cheated out of their former position. While newer ODST's weren't there to see the shift (though the publicity of the program is still rather recent), it's likely their superior officers and veterans all create an anti-spartan environment.
Well, their first real exposure to Spartans resulted in the deaths of two ODSTs. Rumors probably got out, and now ODSTs are wary/hateful of Spartans.
Anirudh07 wrote:
Well, their first real exposure to Spartans resulted in the deaths of two ODSTs. Rumors probably got out, and now ODSTs are wary/hateful of Spartans.
Yeah, but Chief didn't even know his own strength.The freakin initial invasion of earth included 2 CAS-class battlecruisers (About the size of the Infinity), and Chief pretty much singlehandedly blew one to bits with the covenant lightmass bomb. He destroyed Installation 04 by himself. He destroyed Installation 07's replacement and damaged the ark with the help of Arby and Johnson. He got help getting into the Didacts ship, but of course, he charged in head first and blew it up with a nuke. This guy deserves the Rank of Master Legendary Warrior of the Galaxy to the 7th power extreme.
Spartans are better soldiers than ODST.
I'd like to see how an ODST that hates Spartans reacts when they join the Spartan IV program... Saying all this crap about the Spartans and then proceeds to act arrogant when they become a Spartan. I haven't read Initiation but I feel like I just described Palmer :P
I'd like to see how an ODST that hates Spartans reacts when they join the Spartan IV program... Saying all this crap about the Spartans and then proceeds to act arrogant when they become a Spartan. I haven't read Initiation but I feel like I just described Palmer :P
Pretty much. Its mostly just a jealousy complex. They see them as competition but having an unfair advantage. They're pretty happy to have similar tools handled to them.

Thats not to say every ODST hates spartan guts.
Anirudh07 wrote:
Yeah, but Chief didn't even know his own strength.The freakin initial invasion of earth included 2 CAS-class battlecruisers (About the size of the Infinity), and Chief pretty much singlehandedly blew one to bits with the covenant lightmass bomb. He destroyed Installation 04 by himself. He destroyed Installation 07's replacement and damaged the ark with the help of Arby and Johnson. He got help getting into the Didacts ship, but of course, he charged in head first and blew it up with a nuke. This guy deserves the Rank of Master Legendary Warrior of the Galaxy to the 7th power extreme.
Uh dude, he was on Installation 00 to destroy Installation 04B. 07 already existed (7 Halo Rings anyone? No?).

And OP, the reason why ODST's hate Spartan guts is because of the strained tensions. ODST's were indeed, the best of the best. Halo 3 ODST? "But we are the best of the best." Except the Spartans. Who are better. It's a motto. And its one thats hard to remove. Sure, they're grateful, some of them. But the rest are just like "Really? We had this here! D-bag." Ya get my point. The ODST's were like the Grade 12's of High School, then suddenly became a freshman for College. It's... jarring, to say the least.
Its mostly because only the Spartans got credit for a lot of stuff that involved ODSTs. the UNSC propaganda machine basically acted as if Spartans were singlehandedly fighting the whole war.
I Dodger l wrote:
Anirudh07 wrote:
Uh dude, he was on Installation 00 to destroy Installation 04B. 07 already existed (7 Halo Rings anyone? No?).

And OP, the reason why ODST's hate Spartan guts is because of the strained tensions. ODST's were indeed, the best of the best. Halo 3 ODST? "But we are the best of the best." Except the Spartans. Who are better. It's a motto. And its one thats hard to remove. Sure, they're grateful, some of them. But the rest are just like "Really? We had this here! D-bag." Ya get my point. The ODST's were like the Grade 12's of High School, then suddenly became a freshman for College. It's... jarring, to say the least.
Yeah, I meant 04.
'Cause they peanut butter and JEALOUS.
Wasent there a halo legends story about this topic?
Wasent there a halo legends story about this topic?
The Babysitter
They all say that Spartans aren't real soldiers, and they're just freaks. Those D-bags would be dead if it weren't for the Spartans, ESPECIALLY the Chief. I can understand why some thought they were freaks when they were first made, but a typical 30-something year old ODST has no reason to hate on the soldiers who have been saving them since before they were born.
ODSTs were at one point the pinnacle of military expertise. Then the Spartans show up out of no-where. Yeah id be pissed too.

At this point however most ODSTs are Spartans.
Sanction I wrote:
ODSTs were at one point the pinnacle of military expertise. Then the Spartans show up out of no-where. Yeah id be pissed too.

Yeah, I know ALL of this. I wouldn't be pissed. What right do I honestly have to be pissed. Soldiers who have trained since little 6 year old kids are kind of awe inspiring. My little 6 year old brother cries when he gets pinched, and he watches Net Flix all damn day.
Sanction I wrote:

Yeah, I know ALL of this. I wouldn't be pissed. What right do I honestly have to be pissed. Soldiers who have trained since little 6 year old kids are kind of awe inspiring. My little 6 year old brother cries when he gets pinched, and he watches Net Flix all damn day.
They would be inspiring if they CHOSE to become soldiers at the age of 6, but they didn't. ODSTs chose to become soldiers, the BEST soldiers, they work extremely hard to reach their objectives, 'cause of no augmentations or fancy armors. ODSTs and Spartans have basically the same types of mission, both are special forces. However, ODSTs are not doped and don't have fancy schmanzy equipment, the latters get all the recognition even if they are nearly invincible.
Quote:
This guy deserves the Rank of Master Legendary Warrior of the Galaxy to the 7th power extreme.
Yes. Very much yes.
Quote:
This guy deserves the Rank of Master Legendary Warrior of the Galaxy to the 7th power extreme.
Yes. Very much yes.
>Master Chief
>Still ranked at Chief petty officer after all of his accolades and service
>Still ranked lower than Fred

To the OP, it was the mentality that the ODST's were considered the best soldiers because they weren't augmented, or had the MJOLNR power armor. Considering they had been the top commandos of the UNSC for decades before the inception of the Spartan program. They worked their way up unaugmented and were part of some fairly decisive military victories. E.G the defense of New Mombasa.
albertofum wrote:
Sanction I wrote:

They would be inspiring if they CHOSE to become soldiers at the age of 6, but they didn't. ODSTs chose to become soldiers, the BEST soldiers, they work extremely hard to reach their objectives, 'cause of no augmentations or fancy armors. ODSTs and Spartans have basically the same types of mission, both are special forces. However, ODSTs are not doped and don't have fancy schmanzy equipment, the latters get all the recognition even if they are nearly invincible.
Looks like we found the ODST
albertofum wrote:
Sanction I wrote:

The Spartan 3 kids chose it. They were given the choice after they watched their home planets and everyone they knew and loved melted before their eyes. They were given the choice to fight back or they would be taken refugee sites.

As far as the augmentations. While I cant say the same for Spartan III kids while they did have motivation while the II children did not have a choice. The Spartan II children were genetically perfect. Out of the billions and billions of people in the known galaxy only what? 80 of them were made the list. John was already a beast when they found him. He was taller way stronger and his reflexes were pretty crazy as it was. I think if they were even left un augmented they would have still -Yoinking!- crushed a ODST in a 1v1 fight.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2