Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why do people hate Master Chief Having a Mech Suit

OP Snockooz

  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
No really I want to know? And if your answer is He doesn't need it, Know that is akin to saying he doesn't need power armor. Remember that this was MJOLNIR MArk 3. So what is so wrong with him getting another Upgrade? I mean the Only reason Mark 4, 5, and 6 weren't more like mech suits is because of power consumption, yet now they have a Starship powered but Forerunner Engines that can do more damage to a Forerunner Flag ship than the entirety of Earth defense force. So what is the problem with Chief getting an upgrade Like this? Mecha Chief. It cant be that he is too bulky Look at Jorge From Halo Reach Hes 8 feet tall in armor and almost twice as thick as all the other Spartans. Is it that he cant use normal Weapon because both of his Hand are free so he can. Is it that he doesn't need and Upgrade? Well he didn't need to upgrade form Mark 4 to Mark 5 to Mark 6 to Gen 2 either. Is it that you think MPs Gameplay would change drastically? No it wouldn't they could keep it very similar to Halo 5 with mech suits being more of a vehicle than the standard suit or make the attachments act more like interchangeable grenade replacements. I really don't understand we people hate this Idea soooooo much. If its really Just That You want to Stay with the "ICONIC" Power armor then I want my ICONIC Mark 5 back....
Because apparently it's too "anime". I don't exactly understand that complaint either.
How tall is the suit? If it's only about as tall as John then it's not a mecha, it would be just another power suit. A pretty impressive power suit, but just a power suit. Mjolnirs aren't mecha. In the Halo universe only the Mantis can be classified as mecha, maybe a Scarab if we really want to push it.

So, if you're talking about some super power suit, I say sure. It would be kind of fun to have a level where we can completely wreck havoc on everything. It would be a little redundant because we already have a Mantis that can give us the same type of level, but it would be fun. But, I wouldn't like it to be John's new suit. For one, it screams "overpowered" and one way to take the wind out of any tense scene is by making the hero seem unbeatable. Another is that, imo, a power suit should only be as good as it needs to be to tell the story. And John's current suit is already doing a good job of telling us everything we need to know about him as a Spartan.

However, if you're talking about a mecha like a Gundam, then no. Bungie and 343i have designed a world that follows certain aesthetics for technology and world building. While I'm sure if the technology exists to make a Scarab then it also is enough to build a Gundam-type weapon, it would look so off from everything that exists. Like fan art finding its way into the game. Besides, the Mantis IS a mecha.

Would be neat as a new class of Super Spec Ops Hunter-Destroyer Spartans that maybe you get to fight along side or against, depending on the story.
(sorry for double posting)

Also, if anyone is like "Whaaaaa, Agitha, you know what mecha are?"

I'm going to be like, heck ya! Mecha is my jam!
I grew up with Sailor Moon and Gundam Wing in elementary school and middle school. You bet I know what mecha are.
(--_-- )7
How tall is the suit? If it's only about as tall as John then it's not a mecha, it would be just another power suit. A pretty impressive power suit, but just a power suit. Mjolnirs aren't mecha. In the Halo universe only the Mantis can be classified as mecha, maybe a Scarab if we really want to push it.

So, if you're talking about some super power suit, I say sure. It would be kind of fun to have a level where we can completely wreck havoc on everything. It would be a little redundant because we already have a Mantis that can give us the same type of level, but it would be fun. But, I wouldn't like it to be John's new suit. For one, it screams "overpowered" and one way to take the wind out of any tense scene is by making the hero seem unbeatable. Another is that, imo, a power suit should only be as good as it needs to be to tell the story. And John's current suit is already doing a good job of telling us everything we need to know about him as a Spartan.

However, if you're talking about a mecha like a Gundam, then no. Bungie and 343i have designed a world that follows certain aesthetics for technology and world building. While I'm sure if the technology exists to make a Scarab then it also is enough to build a Gundam-type weapon, it would look so off from everything that exists. Like fan art finding its way into the game. Besides, the Mantis IS a mecha.

Would be neat as a new class of Super Spec Ops Hunter-Destroyer Spartans that maybe you get to fight along side or against, depending on the story.
A Mech Suit doesn't need to be as big as a Gundam to still be a mech suit The Suit I'm talk is this http://i.imgur.com/xd338Ps.jpg?fb It wouldn't make him much bigger that an Brute. Like i said in the OP it could act like a vehicle but seeing as we are going to be fight far more powerful opponents than the Covenant with the Created I don't think this type of suit would make him over powered but maybe just even out the playing field. also a Suit like could very easily function very differently than the Mantis.
It would be too anime like.
Also,it would be pretty hard to balance it in the game play.
It would be too anime like.
Also,it would be pretty hard to balance it in the game play.
I could be balanced fine with the right enemies. Halo is already very anime like if simply adding this some how makes something anime like. Did making the Power armors in Fallout 4 more like mech suits somehow make it too anime like?
Snockooz wrote:
Would be neat as a new class of Super Spec Ops Hunter-Destroyer Spartans that maybe you get to fight along side or against, depending on the story.
A Mech Suit doesn't need to be as big as a Gundam to still be a mech suit The Suit I'm talk is this http://i.imgur.com/xd338Ps.jpg?fb It wouldn't make him much bigger that an Brute. Like i said in the OP it could act like a vehicle but seeing as we are going to be fight far more powerful opponents than the Covenant with the Created I don't think this type of suit would make him over powered but maybe just even out the playing field. also a Suit like could very easily function very differently than the Mantis.
Oh, I know. I was just using Gundams as example. Even if it was as tall as a Brute though, I don't think it would be considered a Mecha, it would just be a bigger power suit (considering Spartans are already pretty big themselves).
If they stayed about Brute size or smaller than yeah, I think they would be awesome. Like Super Spartans or something. They could be the UNSC and ONI's answer to Hunters and could be super tank-ey.
But when you described them as mecha I was assuming something the size of a Mantis or larger. And I wouldn't really like that. For a couple of reasons, but one of them is that it would render the Mantis kind of obsolete from a gameplay design point.

Seems redundant. You can use mechs and whatever in Mjølnir. One of the important skillsof spartans is that they can move really fast and quietly. Something we don't get to see a lot in the games. He's "mech suit" now allows it. There's no reason to make it any bigger but of course there will be improvements to his suit.
Snockooz wrote:
It would be too anime like.
Also,it would be pretty hard to balance it in the game play.
I could be balanced fine with the right enemies. Halo is already very anime like if simply adding this some how makes something anime like. Did making the Power armors in Fallout 4 more like mech suits somehow make it too anime like?
With the right enemys,but whats about multiplayer?
Animes have the tendency too just slap weapons and armor on an humanoid frame and this wouldnt really work in Halo due gameplay and lore reasons.
The power armor in fallout is closer to Mjonlnior then to a mecha,as its an exoskeleton that that enhance the wearers strenght,compared to an mecha that is more an vehicle.
Yeah i agree that it looks too anime. I don't think its realistic enough.
The bulkier you make the suit, the more it becomes like 40k's Space Marines, and I don't think that's a good direction to go for this franchise. Spartans are as big as they need to be to be able to crush their foes in melee, flip vehicles, etc, but they also move like ninjas, something that wouldn't be possible with so much artillery permanently affixed to their shoulders.

If the UNSC wants to field more mechs, then for the best allocation of resources they should have them piloted by ODSTs, the mechs being a force multiplier, increasing their combat effectiveness far more than it would a Spartan. But that said, what is pictured looks like it's based on "The Prototype" which was destroyed with all of the research that had gone into it, so the UNSC isn't likely to get another one particularly soon unless it was the pet-project of some admiral who happened to not be at the base when it was destroyed.
Snockooz wrote:
It would be too anime like.
Also,it would be pretty hard to balance it in the game play.
I could be balanced fine with the right enemies. Halo is already very anime like if simply adding this some how makes something anime like. Did making the Power armors in Fallout 4 more like mech suits somehow make it too anime like?
With the right enemys,but whats about multiplayer?
Animes have the tendency too just slap weapons and armor on an humanoid frame and this wouldnt really work in Halo due gameplay and lore reasons.
The power armor in fallout is closer to Mjonlnior then to a mecha,as its an exoskeleton that that enhance the wearers strenght,compared to an mecha that is more an vehicle.
Did you even read the OP?
Snockooz wrote:
Snockooz wrote:
It would be too anime like.
Also,it would be pretty hard to balance it in the game play.
I could be balanced fine with the right enemies. Halo is already very anime like if simply adding this some how makes something anime like. Did making the Power armors in Fallout 4 more like mech suits somehow make it too anime like?
With the right enemys,but whats about multiplayer?
Animes have the tendency too just slap weapons and armor on an humanoid frame and this wouldnt really work in Halo due gameplay and lore reasons.
The power armor in fallout is closer to Mjonlnior then to a mecha,as its an exoskeleton that that enhance the wearers strenght,compared to an mecha that is more an vehicle.
Did you even read the OP?
Of course I have and nearly every image is an example of my "just add more weapons" complainment and if we think about,the cyclops is an mecha suit.
Mecha suits dont work in Halo outside of this one Halo legends story,they are just too big and would actually harm more in combat then they would help.
i agree if its vehicle like then it shouldn't matter we know from experiance they only give you vehicles when you need them.
I wouldnt simply like it for it doesnt look good in my eyes. People like and dislike other things.

It would be too bulky, even when compared to Jorge who was a SPARTAN II next to a team of smaller SPARTAN IIIs so the size difference was more understandable. It would rely too much on technology with its movement which can lead to too much dead weight in case of malfunction pretty much fully disabling the mobility, it would be a really noticeable and big target.

And even as a vehicle type of thing. There is enough mechs even if such wouldnt be added to Halo. The mantis is more than enough. Both look something that is out of place.

And i dont think they would need SPARTANs to operate mechs given the mobility comes from machine itself. Pilots could be more suitable to use them given they are specialized to operate vehicles and SPARTANs, especially master chief, have already expensive gear and experience with it. But still, those could be out of place.
I feel like you misunderstand the point of Spartan 2s: they are elite special forces, not walking tanks. Contrary to what we see in gameplay (for the most part) Spartans didn't singlehandedly slaughter hordes of Covenant, they used careful planning along with their mobility to complete their missions. In FoR, some went through the sewers because the ground above was swarming with Covenant. They didn't charge in guns blazing, they avoided an unnecessary battle.

Having a large mech suit makes the Spartans augmentations redundant. Any human can operate a mech, but only Spartans can wear MJOLNIR. Your point about Jorge being bulkier than the other Spartans is wrong, he is not 8 feet tall. Six and the rest of NOBLE team are Spartan 3s, while Jorge is a Spartan 2, hence why he is taller. Obviously Chief did not need to upgrade from MK IV to V, however it would be stupid not to. UpUpgrading from GEN 2 to a mechsuit would not be as beneficial.

I just don't see the point in putting an already super human in a mechsuit that limits his mobility.
I wouldn't mind seeing it in a mission or two in Halo 6.
Right now Spartans are pretty public. Everyone knows about them and even though ONI started the project they seem to be under UNSC command. But there's also a lot of fan theories (circumstantially supported by cutscenes and the EU) that ONI has their own agenda and are not afraid of acting in secret away from UNSC oversight.
I think it would be cool if they resurrect the Spartan program from scratch. But instead of making an army of super spec ops, they pretty much decide to make these new Spartans walking tanks with enough firepower to just wade into combat.

Even though the "mecha" spartan looks a little cheesy, imagine how much fun they would be to fight against in a Halo game. I remember in the early Halo games when I saw a Hunter I was always like "Oh ****!" because I knew I was in for a tough fight. They were scary and hit hard. Now imagine a Hunter Spartan, or a team of Hunter Spartans, all designed to bring down John. I've never played the game, but I'm thinking something like Resident Evil 3, where you're trying to complete your mission or save lives or get out of a building and suddenly BOOM! that giant trenchcoat zombie appears with a rocket launcher! Same thing only this time it's a team of "Mecha" Spartans with the same training as John, but with much heavier firepower, armor and support.

That's some scary stuff right there, and a good way of injecting some tension into a Halo game (and what I suspect 343i wanted the Warden Eternal to feel like).
I feel people just don't like the change 343 has made and some people just complain about everything, some may be more legitimate, but I feel most are just not happy with the route halo is going.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7