Skip to main content

Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why do people hate the new Sangheili design?

OP UndeadMarksman0

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4
Well.... because nostalgia I think.
Ill always pick reach because they like act like brutes with the agility of a Spartan 4.
The new design isn’t terrible, but my two minor issues are:
  1. Their new mandible positioning seems awkward and too close to their eyes.
  2. Their new bulkiness seems to detract from their deadly gracefulness they used to have. They used to stroll with a sense of nobility, now they lumber like a lizard-ized Brute.
And what's with all these "Why do people hate [Insert X 343 Halo decision here]" threads lately?
I was asking myself 'What's with all these "Halo 5 sucks" comments' I saw on everything posted on Reddit, Xbox feed, etc every single time Halo 5 came up in conversation. I'm happy people are asking that question, because I am too. I'm perfectly content with 95% of what 343 has done for the series and struggle to comprehend any sophisticated reason why people hate them so much. I have to say, even if I love Halo 5, I'm fine with people disliking it—of course. But I'm sick and tired of the incessant complaining and nitpicking about everything 343 does.
Personally I like their new design, i've been read and heard that this sangueilis are From another planet habited by they or other Sanguelios areas and therefore his physical appearance.

However I think that some elites like the Arbiter Thel Vadam or Rtas Vadum (I wish we can see Rtas again in halo infinite or another game) Must keep the original design, in the prolongue and epilogue of Halo MCC the Arbiter looks incredible and aesthetic, I really loved that design. :)
And what's with all these "Why do people hate [Insert X 343 Halo decision here]" threads lately?
I was asking myself 'What's with all these "Halo 5 sucks" comments' I saw on everything posted on Reddit, Xbox feed, etc every single time Halo 5 came up in conversation. I'm happy people are asking that question, because I am too. I'm perfectly content with 95% of what 343 has done for the series and struggle to comprehend any sophisticated reason why people hate them so much. I have to say, even if I love Halo 5, I'm fine with people disliking it—of course. But I'm sick and tired of the incessant complaining and nitpicking about everything 343 does.
If we shut up about random, nonsensical, canon contrary changes and just throw our money at 343 like good little Sheeple, Halo will devolve so far away from well over a decade of built up lore/memory/story/culture. By pointing out idiotic moves we let 343 know what doesn't fit, unfortunately for them, because they were, seemingly, led with ego and an attitude that we were stupid sycophants who would take it with no Vaseline, they made a TON of mistakes.

I am glad we are vocal, I don't want another H5 debacle and for my favourite game/universe to die under a weight of poorly thought out cash grabs.
They look brute-ish, or just really really big
i don't mind it all too much, but they way they move and are depicted in cutscenes is horrible, they're shown as slow, brute-like, and generally everything a sangheili is not
Truthfully, the elites have always looked pretty awesome, but I still prefer the design of the Halo 2 elites, because of their smoother and more professional-looking armor. I feel like the exposed arms especially take away from that armored, hulking, colossal look that the elites used to have. This is not to say that they still do not look amazing, I just think that their original design was much more practical and fear-inspiring.
I think people don’t like it because they look a lot more brutish than elite. In some cutscenes they seem to struggle to walk with their armour clipping onto other pieces.
Because the "elites" in Halo 4 and 5 doesn't even look or behave like elites. You can't just decide to change an entire species in the fourth installment of a franchise. It makes no sense.
I never understood the hate because the new design looks awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bungie era designs as well but they lacked the intimidation factor for me. It may have had to do with the community, as I found it utterly annoying when people would refer to them as 'cute' and 'adorable'. The new design just looks..well...intimidating. I know people like to rip on them a lot but I've found that most people don't actually HAVE a reason as to why they hate them other than 'HURR DURR, 343 BAD, BUNGIE GOOD' and honestly it's very annoying. Besides, the best part of all of this is that BOTH versions exist side by side in lore.
we saw elites in halo 2 and 3 acting with honour, speaking nobly, and carrying and immense amount of self respect for themselves and their race. They were agile, nimble, masters or swordsmanship, and proficient warriors. Now we have huge bulky elites who follow none of the established ideas set in place about elites and their culture and identity. They just don't fit in halo
This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.
Spoiler:
Show
I never understood the hate because the new design looks awesome. Don't get me wrong, I love the Bungie era designs as well but they lacked the intimidation factor for me. It may have had to do with the community, as I found it utterly annoying when people would refer to them as 'cute' and 'adorable'. The new design just looks..well...intimidating. I know people like to rip on them a lot but I've found that most people don't actually HAVE a reason as to why they hate them other than 'HURR DURR, 343 BAD, BUNGIE GOOD' and honestly it's very annoying. Besides, the best part of all of this is that BOTH versions exist side by side in lore.
we saw elites in halo 2 and 3 acting with honour, speaking nobly, and carrying and immense amount of self respect for themselves and their race. They were agile, nimble, masters or swordsmanship, and proficient warriors. Now we have huge bulky elites who follow none of the established ideas set in place about elites and their culture and identity. They just don't fit in halo
In addition they’re basically brutes now.
This new sangheili design turns the proud sangheili race into brutes; they also look terrible. the armor looks kinda cool except it doesn't make sense in a military setting, more like some random guy who made armor; It doesn't protect all their body. they also ruined their voices and faces, their voices and behavior now remind me of the brutes from bungie (which I really don't like), their faces are REALLY ugly, they looked cool before, now just some ugly alien. (sorry if the words don't make sense, I'm at school.)
In my opinion their new design does not complement their role and status on the battlefield, nor does it complement their characterization.

Their role on the battlefield was to be agile, quick to react and capable of delivering deadly force up close at a moment's notice. When necessary, they were able to move gently and elegantly enough to be able to maximize the benefits of active camouflage to remain hidden from even Spartans at times. This bulkiness that was introduced into their post-Halo 4 design concept just doesn't work in convincing me that this creature is capable of moving in such a fashion. When looking at Halo 4 Elites, I don't get the sense at all that this creature is agile, fast of reflex and capable of extraordinary stealth.

In terms of how they regard themselves, and in terms of their status on the battlefield as the Covenant's elite warriors, their past designs assisted in conveying these angles to their character through their streamlined form; their tidy, simple and brightly colored armor, their more upright posture and their more dignified looks. These helped to create the impression that these creatures both held themselves and were held by others in high regard, reflected their nobility within Covenant society, and indicated that they were worthy of respect on the battlefield and were no mere grunt. They were meant to stand out against the more savage elements of the Covenant because savagery is not what made the Elites particularly dangerous. It was their intelligence, and that is what I always felt was conveyed by their past designs. More recent designs are quite weak in conveying these angles; their convoluted and over-designed armor eliminates any notion of them having that former streamlined appearance. It's incomplete nature with the bare exposed arm removes their regal look. Their posture is more hunched over. I don't get the impression that they hold themselves in high regard, nor do I get the sense that they are supposed to be regarded highly by the player as a threat or ally post-Halo 4. Their more bestial appearance compared to their past iterations damages the sense that this creature isn't going to just kill you by being savage, but instead is going to potentially outwit you first. I think they have an undignified look beyond Halo 4, which basically doesn't fit well to what is supposed to be a dignified warrior.

One final aspect to their character concerns their progression. They are for the most part either non-hostile or allies to humans. They are no longer a universal threat to humanity. They instead put forward their own cast of protagonists now, such as Thel 'Vadam, Rtas 'Vadum and Ntho 'Sroam, who must have much more to them than simply being "intimidating" in order to be successful as characters. Making them bestial looking and rather unrelatable with the intention of making them look intimidating is basically shooting yourself in the foot at a later date for when you want your audience to sympathize with and take seriously the notion of Sangheili protagonists. I think 343i might have understood this but were not able to change the designs back in Halo 5, because the bookend cutscenes had designs very similar to Halo 2 Anniversary and did not use the design philosophy that gave us the Halo 4 Elites.

It's for the character progression reason that I'm personally of the opinion that all of the former Covenant species should be receiving a design overhaul to make them less bestial in an effort to make them less two dimensional and breathe new life into them to recognize the fact that things have changed within the setting in a fundamental way, in an era where the Covenant war is over.
I agree with all of this, They should have stuck with the Halo 2 anniversary designs (at least the face).
Now how do they act more like Brutes? They still have the exact same tactics as before. Just now their A.I. is a little dumber but that's just 343i A.I. as a whole. And even in lore they still put high regards on honour and the like.
They are a lot more like brutes, just listen to the way they talk, their voices are SUPER deep, when they speak they sound dumb (Jul M'dama) I think it's pretty obvious.
343 Elites lack grace, in the Blue team clip it looks like it physically hurts that Elite to walk, as if his 343 issue super bulky high heal stripper pumps are far too heavy and he is using all his strength to drag himself along; and I know 343 wanted to show off Team Osiris but making all the Elites slow, sluggish and stupid wasn't the way. Elites were lithe but with a wiry yet solid musculature to them, they moved with grace and they looked noble, tall and proud - 343's are just such a stark contrast that it is jarring to many.
Different players like one artstyle or design over another. But granted, we don't like the things we most like to be changed. Personally, I'm not that attached to the Elite artwork or style as such, as long as they're recognisably "Elites" - but I guess like a lot of other players, most of the time, I simply divide Elites into "those that shoot at me" and "those that don't"! :-D

Meanwhile, in that clip, do you mean before Blue Team arrive? I'd say they looked "slow and lumbering" perhaps meant to illustrate "big and menacing to a Grunt", given what he's saying. Then Blue Team smash the window in, and there's sudden decompression. Blue Team struggle and engage Mag-Lock on their boots to prevent being sucked back out by the sudden Hurricane-force wind. Not having Mag-Lock, the Elites are fighting to stay on their feet, hence looking slow and clumsy, and lose grip when they swing their swords.

If you want to see some better Elite gameplay movement from 343i, play H5 Blue Team on Heroic or Legendary with at least the Tough Luck Skull on - they'll run, roll and dodge far more, and charge at you firing a Plasma Rifle. Add other Skulls like Mythic and Thunderstorm to Legendary, and now you're in for a real fight! :-D

https://m.ign.com/wikis/halo-5-guardians/Skulls#Finding_Tough_Luck
See, that´s what I mean. People use their worst showings (Ex. when they´re resting or calm and caught off guard.) to try and say they´re big lumbering oafs when gameplay shows they can obviously still move and be just as dangerous like the previous incarnations.
the thing is, they always stumble, talk stupid, and can't anything in every single cutscene in halo 5. only the arbiter is semi-graceful.
I totally agree with you, not everything 343 has to do has to be bad.
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 4