Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why does Cortana need an chip in Halo 3 & 4?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

We all know of the AI chip Chief uses for Cortana in CE. Then in Halo 2 Cortana is able to access Chief's armor without the need of an AI chip. He can place his hand on a terminal and she can transfer easily. Then in Halo 3 & 4 an AI chip returns, with Cortana being transferred like how she was in CE. Why do you think the need of an AI came back in Halo 3 & 4?
We all know of the AI chip Chief uses for Cortana in CE. Then in Halo 2 Cortana is able to access Chief's armor without the need of an AI. He can place his hand on a terminal and she can transfer easily. Then in Halo 3 & 4an AI chip returns, with Cortana being transferred like how she was in CE. Why do you think the need of an AI came back in Halo 3 & 4?
Could have been a fragment of her was somewhere else and the original Cortana was in the chip that chief has
We all know of the AI chip Chief uses for Cortana in CE. Then in Halo 2 Cortana is able to access Chief's armor without the need of an AI. He can place his hand on a terminal and she can transfer easily. Then in Halo 3 & 4an AI chip returns, with Cortana being transferred like how she was in CE. Why do you think the need of an AI came back in Halo 3 & 4?
Could have been a fragment of her was somewhere else and the original Cortana was in the chip that chief has
Problem with that is when she's left behind on High Charity. There's no usage of the chip there so she's doing a full transfer into High Charity's systems.

There's probably no in-universe explanation. The most likely scenario is a writing/animation goof in Halo 2 that was glossed over and returned to chip-based function in Halo 3 and 4.
Problem with that is when she's left behind on High Charity. There's no usage of the chip there so she's doing a full transfer into High Charity's systems.

There's probably no in-universe explanation. The most likely scenario is a writing/animation goof in Halo 2 that was glossed over and returned to chip-based function in Halo 3 and 4.
Wouldn't be the first time things have been overlooked in halo
Between Halo 2 and 3, Master Chief fell from orbit. It would be understandable for some circuitry to have been damaged along with the visible damage to the suit, which would be a plausible explanation for him not using the touch-transfer method.

It could also be that cortana's files have gotten bigger with the information she gathered along the way, and it could be that the touch-transfer method would take too long, whereas the chip transfer is still virtually instantaneous.
We all know of the AI chip Chief uses for Cortana in CE. Then in Halo 2 Cortana is able to access Chief's armor without the need of an AI. He can place his hand on a terminal and she can transfer easily. Then in Halo 3 & 4 an AI chip returns, with Cortana being transferred like how she was in CE. Why do you think the need of an AI came back in Halo 3 & 4?
Never really thought about it until I saw this forum! :')
JNDreher wrote:
Between Halo 2 and 3, Master Chief fell from orbit. It would be understandable for some circuitry to have been damaged along with the visible damage to the suit, which would be a plausible explanation for him not using the touch-transfer method.

It could also be that cortana's files have gotten bigger with the information she gathered along the way, and it could be that the touch-transfer method would take too long, whereas the chip transfer is still virtually instantaneous.
I like your point and makes alot of sence maybe that is the reason for it but you would think they would have at least mentioned that chief suffered damage from that.
Here's another question; how did he already have an AI chip in his helmet at the start of Halo 3 when he didn't have one in Halo 2?
Here's another question; how did he already have an AI chip in his helmet at the start of Halo 3 when he didn't have one in Halo 2?
I would guess he kept the chip from CE inside his helmet. In Halo Lore, the Mjolnir armor could only support an AI by having a chip installed directly into a Spartan’s brain (only revealed by Eric Nylund in the books).

Bungie seemed to change their lore every game though so it could’ve been an oversight by them.
I would guess he kept the chip from CE inside his helmet. In Halo Lore, the Mjolnir armor could only support an AI by having a chip installed directly into a Spartan’s brain (only revealed by Eric Nylund in the books).

Bungie seemed to change their lore every game though so it could’ve been an oversight by them.
Which book was that revealed in? Been a while since I read the Nylund stuff

Which book was that revealed in? Been a while since I read the Nylund stuff
Halo: the Fall of Reach. When Chief was first introduced to Cortana the Navy upgraded his neural implant chip to allow the use of AI, and I believe Halsey stated Cortana would use portions of his brain for parts of her computations.