Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why don't Sangheili cover their mouths?

OP TRUe REDEMPTI0N

This is SUPER nitpicking and isn't meant for big discussion, just something that kinda confuses me. The Sangheili (aside from some ranks) have armor that leaves their mouths exposed, why? This is kinda dangerous from exposing themselves to possibly dangerous things in the atmosphere as well as giving a better shot on the battlefield. An example of this is when Chief and Thel are in front of the Gravemind, The is exposed to possibly infection. Of course Gravemind didn't want to infect Thel just then, as Thel was being used. But how about when Thel and Chief are traveling through Voi after the Flood have arrivedor when he goes to High Charity to aid Chief in escaping the Covenant high city. I know this is reeeaaallll nitpicking, but it's kinda made me turn my head and go, "Huh?" Your thoughts?
I'll answer your question with a question. Why does the US military still use PASGT helmet instead of full face protection, seconded with why does the UNSC also do the same with its conventional force?
I think shielding might help a bit. Also the Sangheili's biology is different from humans so whereas they are equally prone to flood infection, I don't think chemicals or pathogens will affect them as much as it would to a human. If you're looking for a real reason, the best one is "that's just what Sangheili do".

From the Ghost entry in the Universe section "Its remarkable mobility, excellent speed, and effective firepower are only offset by the open cockpit, which naturally places the operator at risk--though ONI believes this was intentional, and reflects a quirk of Sangheili psychology" From the Revenant entry "Oddly, conversion of the Revenant to military application did not change its open cabin, essentially putting the operator and passenger at risk. Whether this is simply a vestigial attribute of the Revenant’s original design, or another Sangheili effort to display their fearlessness, is unknown."

You kind of get the idea by this point. Sangheili need to fulfill they daily quota of badassery.

TL;DR: IT"S A SANGHEILI THING
I think it relates to their roaring. Whenever an Elite draws a sword or kills a powerful adversary, they release an aggressive scream and roar. I don't know if it's been touched upon in any piece of media, but I think they do it for ceremonial a reasons, most likely. Intimidation is probably another factor. With a helmet, we can't really see that. I think that's why so many Elites opt to use helmets that expose their mandibles.
elites spit a lot. a full face helmet would get in the way. also you should note that the UNSC marines for the most part don't have face protection. And your also not taking into account the energy shields.
Like MPMixx said, it most likely has something to do with their biology, and their traditional armor, pre-Covenant era.
Also it is pretty intimidating as well. Possibly both functionality and strategy but mostly functionality.
Sangheili are hardcore enough that they don't need armor protecting their face.
Ancient warriors of earth(Notably the vikings) would run into battle wearing nothing but a rope about their waste, showing a fearless disposition. You could draw a parallel between that and the exposed mandibles, though in the case of R'tas, it would show injuries earned in glorious combat.
Noble138 wrote:
Ancient warriors of earth(Notably the vikings) would run into battle wearing nothing but a rope about their waste, showing a fearless disposition. You could draw a parallel between that and the exposed mandibles, though in the case of R'tas, it would show injuries earned in glorious combat.
Rtas got his jaw sliced by one of his flood infected troops (with a sword btw).
While some are pointing out their biology, what about armors such as Ranger armor. Ulta variant as well as Assault, Flight, Ascetic, and Commando armors have armor that cover their mouths up.
I think because they want to make their victims look them in the face and fear their mouths
Noble138 wrote:
That's also the Celts cept... they went fully nude with random paint. But I agree I think it's just a Sangheili thing.
Noble138 wrote:
That seems made up... I seriously doubt Vikings were going around with little protection into battle. Easy way to get killed.
Must have energy shields, I've always wondered how their mouths do not dry out. It would feel like being a constant mouth breather.