Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why the heck are Thel's covenant wearing H4 armor?

OP JJAB91

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6
ArtooFeva wrote:
This is really nitpicky to me. This campaign looks huge yet people are concerned about armor. It could just be said that the armor is standardized.
The reason? Likely time and resources. Compared to all the awesome things we saw in the trailers I don't think the armor differentiation between the elites is or should be a huge priority.
This is the Universe section these are the things that concern us not if the BR or AR is OP... If you knew your lore you would know the armor is not standardized and is the Storm combat harness, worn by lowest-ranking Sangheili in the modern Covenant. House of Theo* Vadam is not of the Covenant this is why we are nip picking. The explanation could be as simple as these guys are Jul defector as they are red and white, colours of loyalty to the arbiter (hunters in the Dark). It could far more annoying in that this is now the Elite majors new look creating the dreaded "question of is this artistic or canon" that will plague the forum like the black death till halo 6 or official word is made.

* obvious typo: Thel 😳 thanks grime
ArtooFeva wrote:
This is really nitpicky to me. This campaign looks huge yet people are concerned about armor. It could just be said that the armor is standardized.
The reason? Likely time and resources. Compared to all the awesome things we saw in the trailers I don't think the armor differentiation between the elites is or should be a huge priority.
And yet Bungie did just that back in 2004 for an enemy that showed up for only 2 missions.
ArtooFeva wrote:
This is the Universe section these are the things that concern us not if the BR or AR is OP... If you knew your lore you would know the armor is not standardized and is the Storm combat harness, worn by lowest-ranking Sangheili in the modern Covenant. House of Theo Vadam is not of the Covenant this is why we are nip picking. The explanation could be as simple as these guys are Jul defector as they are red and white, colours of loyalty to the arbiter (hunters in the Dark). It could far more annoying in that this is now the Elite majors new look creating the dreaded "question of is this artistic or canon" that will plague the forum like the black death till halo 6 or official word is made.
Really? Then who is Theo Vadam? ;-)
ArtooFeva wrote:
This is the Universe section these are the things that concern us not if the BR or AR is OP... If you knew your lore you would know the armor is not standardized and is the Storm combat harness, worn by lowest-ranking Sangheili in the modern Covenant. House of Theo Vadam is not of the Covenant this is why we are nip picking. The explanation could be as simple as these guys are Jul defector as they are red and white, colours of loyalty to the arbiter (hunters in the Dark). It could far more annoying in that this is now the Elite majors new look creating the dreaded "question of is this artistic or canon" that will plague the forum like the black death till halo 6 or official word is made.
His full name is theodor. He was born after thel crashed on a door.

Also It is of concern if the BR outguns a banshee.
ArtooFeva wrote:
Hey, Grim, do you know why the rest of 343 has been silent for several years now regarding the fate of Elites in Halo 5 multiplayer? I don't think I've heard anything from them except for one tweet several months back that kind of teased them, but that was it. I mean, I'd definitely be completely fine with how the Arbiter's Elites looked if I knew those resources were instead going to making them playable. I don't want to sound passive aggressive or anything asking this, but I am pretty curious. Anyway, take care.
ArtooFeva wrote:
embarrassing 😃 typo, grim you monster... the L and the O...the L... and the O are so close... damn my fat fingers.
Kalawaki wrote:
Kalawaki wrote:
It's because 343i are too lazy to reuse H2A's models. So every elite needs to look ugly and naked.

But hey, Thel's elites have an undersuit, and are colored red instead of blue! That works, right?
Assumptions like these make me sad.
It's not an assumption if you know anything about 3D modeling and importing.
You are correct that it is not difficult to copy and import 3D models, but I think you're leaving out some key aspects that fit into game design itself.

Let's say 343i has imported the H2A Elite model for use in Halo 5, then what? Well, the next thing that would need to happen is to slap the model onto a skeleton with a specific posture and animation suite. Now you have a model, designed for a completely different skeleton, being contorted and stretched in not so very pretty ways in order to fit onto a skeleton that wasn't meant for it. It'd be simpler just to create a brand new model. Ultimately though, Grim is right in that the whole matter was tossed aside with recklessness.

The reality of game design, is that it's meant to generate and create compelling and fun experiences. That's the first priority for every company making a game. If you define everything story related before building anything, you will be setting yourself up for failure. What if pre-defined story aspects don't translate well for gaming? What if the artists are very passionate about a specific style for the game to have? What if efforts need to be focused in areas much more critical to creating a fun game?

This is the reality of making a game. Not just video games, but board games, card games, and any game at all really. Story details are almost always going to be the last thing defined in a game, because the story typically isn't critical to making a game fun. As Halo fans though, we should be eternally grateful that 343i is willing to go so far out of the way of normal game development to give us a heavily curated story experience in the games.
Grim while you're here it would be nice to have confirmation if elites will be playable at all in Halo 5 or not. That is if you're allowed to release this type of information.
It is a shame they didn't just standardize in favor of the Sanghelios/SoS variant of Sangheili rather than Jul's/Hesdurosian Sangheili.

Just a personal preference of course, but I definitely love their appearance as portrayed in H2:A. It's a mix of the intelligence displayed in the original 2 and 3, with a hint of their feral/warrior nature as introduced in Reach, but not so disparate as Jul's Sangheili appear in H4. Watching the H2:A added on cutscene where Locke is speaking to the Arbiter and other Sangheili, I was exalted to see the traditional, intelligent appearance of the Sangheili return.

It just feels right for their species, if you catch my drift.

I understand the strains of cost both economically and time-viability, but man I wish things could be different. You'd think Microsoft would give 343i a near-blank check for H:5 as one of the biggest releases planned for the early lifespan of the Xbox One. And that would include aiming to please as many variable parts of the Halo Nation as possible lore junkies like ourselves included.
Grim while you're here it would be nice to have confirmation if elites will be playable at all in Halo 5 or not. That is if you're allowed to release this type of information.
At this point I don't think anyone is allowed to comment on that, either for fear of upsetting the community into affecting their sales, or to save for a reveal at a later date.

Evidence seems to point towards the former, but those hints at the ANVIL Initiative are still in the air.
Kalawaki wrote:
At this point I don't think anyone is allowed to comment on that, either for fear of upsetting the community into affecting their sales, or to save for a reveal at a later date.

Evidence seems to point towards the former, but those hints at the ANVIL Initiative are still in the air.
I know, it's just if they're not it would be nice to know at least you know for closer and if they are in the game I hope they reveal it soon.
Have to say i'm really enjoying Grim in this thread, has made me feel a lot better about it.
Why is there a Halo 4 Elite in Halo 4:Forward Unto Dawn? Even though the movie took place before Halo 1. There may be an explanation but I just see that the armor selections are just all over the place, they just are. Oh well.
Why is there a Halo 4 Elite in Halo 4:Forward Unto Dawn? Even though the movie took place before Halo 1. There may be an explanation but I just see that the armor selections are just all over the place, they just are. Oh well.
You've got to disassociate yourself somewhat from the "even though it took place before x game/book/etc" on some of these things, especially when it comes to something like a type of armor. Many of the more "recently seen" visual looks are actually much older designs within the fiction. It's not like that particular armor you see the Zealot in H4:FUD wearing was designed, fashioned, produced, and distributed all within the few years following the events at the Ark (H3).
You've got to disassociate yourself somewhat from the "even though it took place before x game/book/etc" on some of these things, especially when it comes to something like a type of armor. Many of the more "recently seen" visual looks are actually much older designs within the fiction. It's not like that particular armor you see the Zealot in H4:FUD wearing was designed, fashioned, produced, and distributed all within the few years following the events at the Ark (H3).
Didn't the visual guide say that this armour is native to Hesduros zealotry?
Think of it this way, Forward Unto Dawn took place much earlier in the timeline canonically. Also Jul's faction is outfitted with older, less state of the art tech and equipment. So it stands to reason that Jul's faction is wearing older armor designs seen earlier in the Human-Covenant War.
ArtooFeva wrote:
Really? Then who is Theo Vadam? ;-
Didnt you now Sanghellios was in Greece Grim? :P
Think of it this way, Forward Unto Dawn took place much earlier in the timeline canonically. Also Jul's faction is outfitted with older, less state of the art tech and equipment. So it stands to reason that Jul's faction is wearing older armor designs seen earlier in the Human-Covenant War.
No. That's fan speculation. Jul's faction contains armours that are of traditional Sangheili design and are in the case of Zealots are localized variants of harnesses. The whole Jul has no resources is just fans who saw him using CRSs instead of CCSs in halo 4 without knowing what a reverence class cruiser is. It's also caused by fans thinking that Cortana is the Absolute source of truth and knows everything even after 4 years with no contact with the rest of the galaxy. It's also like how people can get that a phenotype is not a subspecies and that there is no Sangheili subspecies from Hesduros and elites can look different much like humans do if not more and still not have any subspecies.
RABIH117 wrote:
ArtooFeva wrote:
Really? Then who is Theo Vadam? ;-
Didnt you now Sanghellios was in Greece Grim? :P
I'm Greek. lol.
"Politics... (small sigh) How tiresome. Do you know, Arbiter, the Elites have threatened to resign, quit the High Council, because of this... exchange of hats?"

Fitting quote eh?
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 6