Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why was Cortana clothed in Halo 5?

OP SectionUnity

1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2
Don't take it the wrong way. But could AI even change their clothes? Was it because she was dipped in that fountain of AI youth back in Halo 5? Im not saying that she was better exposed, but, there was no explanation of why she just somehow is able to wear clothes of armor she wouldn't need it. Would that mean she can be hurt physically now? Or could it be just to signify she went imperial and became a new character?
An AI can choose whatever form they want, so it was probably Cortana's choice and shows that she's not the same Cortana that we last interacted with.
It’s just the design that they went with lol
This way when Good Cortana comes back in Infinite, we can tell the difference during the AI fistfight.
MysticKami wrote:
This way when Good Cortana comes back in Infinite, we can tell the difference during the AI fistfight.
I’m rooting so hard for this to be one of the story arcs in Infinite. I miss the witty and friendly Cortana from H4 and before.
As said before, AI's can choose their appearances. The Rampant Cortana that we see in Halo 5 chose her form because she wanted to show that she was powerful and command respect, in keeping with her plan to subject the galaxy to Imperial Peace which amounted to a gun pointed at the head of the universe and saying 'obey'.
As said before, AI's can choose their appearances. The Rampant Cortana that we see in Halo 5 chose her form because she wanted to show that she was powerful and command respect, in keeping with her plan to subject the galaxy to Imperial Peace which amounted to a gun pointed at the head of the universe and saying 'obey'.
What, thats dumb. Everyone just chooses how they want to look but it never reveals why. Why does Roland need to look WW2 pilot, I think its just their programming. No need to look like that.
What, thats dumb. Everyone just chooses how they want to look but it never reveals why. Why does Roland need to look WW2 pilot, I think its just their programming. No need to look like that.
It really isn't their programming. It is stated in canon that AIs choose how they want to look based on a number of factors. Part of it is, yes, the role they are designed to do, but also something they admire.

One AI, for example, looked like a Picasso painting, or an abstract star field that blinked when the AI spoke. They choose how they look. Most choose to look human because it makes interacting with humans easier and more comfortable for them. Others choose to look like, in the example of a ONI AI, like a grim reaper.

You may think it's dumb, but it's actually pretty neat, in my opinion. It shows a degree of freedom and originality and allows the AI to have some depth of character. If you can't understand it, that's fine, but it isn't dumb, and it is very much canon.
It really isn't their programming. It is stated in canon that AIs choose how they want to look based on a number of factors. Part of it is, yes, the role they are designed to do, but also something they admire.

One AI, for example, looked like a Picasso painting, or an abstract star field that blinked when the AI spoke. They choose how they look. Most choose to look human because it makes interacting with humans easier and more comfortable for them. Others choose to look like, in the example of a ONI AI, like a grim reaper.

You may think it's dumb, but it's actually pretty neat, in my opinion. It shows a degree of freedom and originality and allows the AI to have some depth of character. If you can't understand it, that's fine, but it isn't dumb, and it is very much canon.
Seconded. Black Box (one of my favorite AI) presents himself as a blue cube (a hologram cannot depict the color black), because he doesn't see the point of presenting himself as human. He sees himself as pure thought, so he chose an avatar and name that are a reminder to the humans he works with that this is what he is.

I don't think we got an explanation for why Cortana specifically chose to have her avatar be naked, but it's clear in Halo 5 that she incorporated a uniform with the Reclaimer sigil on it to show that she believes her faction (the "Created") are the "true" reclaimers,
My guess, someone from marketing said that their research demands that the devs put some clothes on her.

Well put. To expand a bit, AI personalities are, at least partially, influenced by the donor brains they come from. So those personality traits that carry over likely have some influence over the AI's choice of appearance. Take Gabriela from Outpost Discovery. She was based on a UNSC Admiral and her chosen appearance is that of a UNSC officer. BB came from a scientist with a dry sense of humor and very pragmatic perspective, so he took on a more pragmatic and dry personality that likely influenced his decision to present himself as a simple cube. I am honestly fascinated by Halo's depiction of artificial intelligence.
An AI can choose whatever form they want, so it was probably Cortana's choice and shows that she's not the same Cortana that we last interacted with.
Going to expand on this a bit because it's genius. If one has seen season 10 of RVB, there is a stage of Rampancy called "Meta-Stability" where a full smart-AI can be considered Human, and based on the fact Cortana was in the Meta stage and she was put through the Domain during said stage, It would make sense Cortana's appearance (without armor) would be.....Anatomically accurate. (She would basically be a naked human female with blue skin) So it would Make sense she would put on some freaking armor to make sure Halo 5 would be rated M for a totally different reason.
Going to expand on this a bit because it's genius. If one has seen season 10 of RVB, there is a stage of Rampancy called "Meta-Stability" where a full smart-AI can be considered Human, and based on the fact Cortana was in the Meta stage and she was put through the Domain during said stage, It would make sense Cortana's appearance (without armor) would be.....Anatomically accurate. (She would basically be a naked human female with blue skin) So it would Make sense she would put on some freaking armor to make sure Halo 5 would be rated M for a totally different reason.
Red Vs Blue isn't canon, it is elaborate fanfiction that just happened to get really popular and well known. Things suggested or created within the Red Vs Blue universe has no bearing or importance within the actual canon of the Halo franchise.
Red Vs Blue isn't canon, it is elaborate fanfiction that just happened to get really popular and well known. Things suggested or created within the Red Vs Blue universe has no bearing or importance within the actual canon of the Halo franchise.
Although it is true RVB isn't canon, many Rooster Teeth and 343i members have confirmed it's an alternate timeline in the Halo universe, meaning many things, although none of them actually happening with the chief, might actually be real in the Halo games, like the 4 stages of Rampancy.
Although it is true RVB isn't canon, many Rooster Teeth and 343i members have confirmed it's an alternate timeline in the Halo universe, meaning many things, although none of them actually happening with the chief, might actually be real in the Halo games, like the 4 stages of Rampancy.
I'll need a source on this. Regardless, it still has no base in the canon universe, and I really think you're just trying to twist facts to support your so far baseless claim.
So Microsoft could have Halo 5 rated Teen instead of rated Mature to get more people to buy it. Thats why.

But honestly on the actual canon side of things it’s because of what was said above.
In other words, Red Vs Blue TRANSCENDS Canon.

Project Freelancer > Fire Team Osiris
I'm not sure that it is a great idea to use RvB as evidence for Halo lore. Some parts of their lore may be the same but they do not share the same canon.

Reminds me of Black Box, who chooses to appear as a cube, because he expressly states that he is a being of pure intellect, and thus doesn't feel the need to use a human form to make humans more comfortable.
I'll need a source on this. Regardless, it still has no base in the canon universe, and I really think you're just trying to twist facts to support your so far baseless claim.
everything i have said I am honest about, but if you do want a possible gap, the "343i confirmation" I heard from a friend of mine named PewterFlame and he heard it from his cousin who works for 343i
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. ...
  4. 2