2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 9
The Ur-Didact failed to gain any traction with the fanbase as an antagonist. I think that's why they shelved him.

I don't really care that they did so either. He was a wasted opportunity. This was an actual living Forerunner who had the potential to truly shake up the post-war setting, and all they did was reduce him to an utterly simplistic and very cliche premise of wanting to wipe out humanity. Talk about underachieving...
Rookie Prime- Also the Covenant in H5 don't feel like the Covenant. They're too organic and their vehicles are so bug looking. Those parts dont feel Halo & if what you say is true that 343 got rid of Didact bc some fans said it wasn't Halo enough, well then that's sad. I've awaited the return of actual Forerunners to the story since H2, then finally one comes & bam! He's gone...
H5 could've had a great story if they picked where h4 ended and if the ads represented the story we'd get
He isn't. He most likely resides within the Composer's Abyss, waiting to unleash himself upon the defeat of Cortana.
He isn't. He most likely resides within the Composer's Abyss, waiting to unleash himself upon the defeat of Cortana.
Yeah but the whole point is that he wasn't in Halo 5. The sole reason "The Next 72 Hours" was written was because they decided to go the Cortana route in Halo 5 and had to write him out if the story so that people wouldn't ask in Halo 5 where the main villain went.
ChasCT2 wrote:
OP

Technically speaking the Didact is presented as having been destroyed at the end of Halo 4 and theres no suggestion that he might have survived somehow. You seem him wounded by a grenade and topple into a swirling vortex. Then the ship gets blown up by a nuke. How could he survive that, hes just flesh and blood?
His armor? Sure his armor was somewhat damaged (enough that he couldn't use constraint fields anymore) by the grenade that atomizes Hunters but he survived Slipspace travel and then walked off falling from orbit after crashing landing on a Halo ring (admittedly he did get knocked out but unlike Chief, he had no protection so it is overall more impressive). Whether or not he survived due to his suit's absurd durability or its ability to bring the user back from the dead is unknown. Though given how we saw it no sell anti matter to the helmet and 7.62mm/hardlight rounds at point blank range doesn't even damage the paint job while the only thing that did damage it was a laser that vaporizes shielded Elites with one shot (so over 2.99 gigajoules) with it only leaving a scorch mark that the suit repaired seconds later; my money is on the suit just being that good.
So those are Halo 4 era Promethean weapons, right?
Correct though the laser belonged to a Monitor and the 7.62mm belonged to the MA5Ds Blue Team initially used against the Ur-Didact until they picked up Promethean weaponry (Boltshot, Scattershot, Binary Rifle, and Suppressor).
ChasCT2 wrote:
ChasCT2 wrote:
OP

Technically speaking the Didact is presented as having been destroyed at the end of Halo 4 and theres no suggestion that he might have survived somehow. You seem him wounded by a grenade and topple into a swirling vortex. Then the ship gets blown up by a nuke. How could he survive that, hes just flesh and blood?
His armor? Sure his armor was somewhat damaged (enough that he couldn't use constraint fields anymore) by the grenade that atomizes Hunters but he survived Slipspace travel and then walked off falling from orbit after crashing landing on a Halo ring (admittedly he did get knocked out but unlike Chief, he had no protection so it is overall more impressive). Whether or not he survived due to his suit's absurd durability or its ability to bring the user back from the dead is unknown. Though given how we saw it no sell anti matter to the helmet and 7.62mm/hardlight rounds at point blank range doesn't even damage the paint job while the only thing that did damage it was a laser that vaporizes shielded Elites with one shot (so over 2.99 gigajoules) with it only leaving a scorch mark that the suit repaired seconds later; my money is on the suit just being that good.
So those are Halo 4 era Promethean weapons, right?
Correct though the laser belonged to a Monitor and the 7.62mm belonged to the MA5Ds Blue Team initially used against the Ur-Didact until they picked up Promethean weaponry (Boltshot, Scattershot, Binary Rifle, and Suppressor).
I know. I read Escalation and the next 72 hours. I just wondered which ones they were since Halo 5 tweaked them and never quite thought about them...I guess Cortana is the one who tweaked them and the new Knights...
Yeah but the whole point is that he wasn't in Halo 5. The sole reason "The Next 72 Hours" was written was because they decided to go the Cortana route in Halo 5 and had to write him out if the story so that people wouldn't ask in Halo 5 where the main villain went.
Okay, and? Halo 5 is padding, the Didact is still in the fiction.
But Reed didn't need to write 72 hours at all. We saw the Didact fall into a pit. As comic book villain deaths go its pretty workable end and ambiguous enough that you could bring him back whenever you want. He was already written out of the story.

Also, how can they possibly bring him back now? Nobody will have read that comic. You'd have to explain that Chief confronted the Didact and Composed him. This creates a huge disconnect between the events witnessed by the 99% and the 1%. Buts its an unnecessary divide. Basically they could have easily not written 72 hours and been in the exact same situation with the villain out of the loop following our heroes victory. They would have only done this if either A) It was important enough that those events happened B) They just wanted to sell comics.

Its more likely given the above that 72 hours actually comprises material that was meant to be included in the first act of Halo 5. But, this conflict was ultimately cut because it takes too long to get to the "Hunt" between Locke and Chief. The Didacts return in mortal form wasn't deemed important versus Cortana coming back; although potentially his later return as a composed entity himself might have much greater weight. Or, comic sales, I don't know and I don't particularly care; he was never a compelling villain.

Source? Have you spoken to somebody on the Dev team? Its your word versus theirs and people are extremely biased on this subject. I can certainly believe they made Halo 4 to be emotionally manipulative and seemingly kill off the character to bring her back. I mean I can remember a lot of speculation in the run up to Halo 5 that Cortana would come back.
Also, how can they possibly bring him back now? Nobody will have read that comic. You'd have to explain that Chief confronted the Didact and Composed him. This creates a huge disconnect between the events witnessed by the 99% and the 1%.
I think you vastly underestimate how many people will have read the comic.
But Reed didn't need to write 72 hours at all. We saw the Didact fall into a pit. As comic book villain deaths go its pretty workable end and ambiguous enough that you could bring him back whenever you want. He was already written out of the story.

Also, how can they possibly bring him back now? Nobody will have read that comic. You'd have to explain that Chief confronted the Didact and Composed him. This creates a huge disconnect between the events witnessed by the 99% and the 1%. Buts its an unnecessary divide. Basically they could have easily not written 72 hours and been in the exact same situation with the villain out of the loop following our heroes victory. They would have only done this if either A) It was important enough that those events happened B) They just wanted to sell comics.

Its more likely given the above that 72 hours actually comprises material that was meant to be included in the first act of Halo 5. But, this conflict was ultimately cut because it takes too long to get to the "Hunt" between Locke and Chief. The Didacts return in mortal form wasn't deemed important versus Cortana coming back; although potentially his later return as a composed entity himself might have much greater weight. Or, comic sales, I don't know and I don't particularly care; he was never a compelling villain.

Source? Have you spoken to somebody on the Dev team? Its your word versus theirs and people are extremely biased on this subject. I can certainly believe they made Halo 4 to be emotionally manipulative and seemingly kill off the character to bring her back. I mean I can remember a lot of speculation in the run up to Halo 5 that Cortana would come back.
My source is the special edition of the entire Escalation collection. Brian Reed writes in it that the next 72 hours was written to make way for Cortana in Halo 5 and get the Didact outta the way.
Could you quote exactly what he says? I am pretty sure he writes that the Didact was meant to be in the early drafts of the game. That's not the same thing as saying "oh yeah we brought Cortana back on a whim, she was never meant to come back and the Didact was always going to be our main antagonist."

I mean Ive seen the Sprint and he says the exact opposite. That they fully intended from the series outset that Cortana would seemingly die and come back. If there was a conspiracy don't you think they'd have fired him if he threw a grenade like that into the fan base?

The Didacts presence in an early draft of Halo 5 makes no more difference than Juls did. He was probably cut precisely because it just delays the plot advancing.
I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think they had planned originally for the Didact to be the main villain, he was to be releasing the Guardians. He would've rounded up surviving Forerunners like his Halo 4 epilogue speech indicated and return to the Galaxy in force. 343 called him Chiefs first true Nemesis. Then somewhere along the development somebody figured hey what if Cortana wasn't just brought back but brought back as a villain! Perhaps Microsoft pushed them toward this because Cortana was to become their products version of Siri, who knows. Either way they replaced the Didacts role with Cortana and made up the Warden Eternal to perhaps fill in the parts where you interact with the Didact himself. That's basically what I figure probably happened. I don't have 100% proof of this. I know I want there. But story wise this made most sense with all of the background development spent fleshing out the Didacts fall from grace in the Forerunner Saga. All of this Ancient Evil promotions and how Chief is facing his first true threat and Nemesis. The next 72 hours just kinda cements all that.
I don't think it's a conspiracy. I just think they had planned originally for the Didact to be the main villain, he was to be releasing the Guardians. He would've rounded up surviving Forerunners like his Halo 4 epilogue speech indicated and return to the Galaxy in force. 343 called him Chiefs first true Nemesis. Then somewhere along the development somebody figured hey what if Cortana wasn't just brought back but brought back as a villain! Perhaps Microsoft pushed them toward this because Cortana was to become their products version of Siri, who knows. Either way they replaced the Didacts role with Cortana and made up the Warden Eternal to perhaps fill in the parts where you interact with the Didact himself. That's basically what I figure probably happened. I don't have 100% proof of this. I know I want there. But story wise this made most sense with all of the background development spent fleshing out the Didacts fall from grace in the Forerunner Saga. All of this Ancient Evil promotions and how Chief is facing his first true threat and Nemesis. The next 72 hours just kinda cements all that.
Wouldn't they have brought her back as a hero on Chiefs side if they wanted to promote their app? I can't see the advertising people at Microsoft thinking its a good idea to imply that your app is going to take over and start dictating your life to you.

Halo has never had just one main villain. They already seem to be implying that Atriox will serve as another and we had Jul during Spartan Ops.
But Atriox is the antagonist for Halo Wars 2, just as Ripa Moramee was the first one. Those are different than main series antagonist. You can have side antagonist too. Like the OT Star Wars. Darth Vader is the main villain throughout the three movies but each film has diff villains, like Tarkin, Fett and Jabba the Hutt. Vader and the Empire are still the main villains though. Just as the Didact would've been Chiefs main villain but now they scrapped it. Clearly Cortana can't be a side villain as she's a huge presence, so I have no idea what their plans are going forward. I just know they screwed up a great story with the Didact and the return of the Forerunners.
They have said they want to do 20 years of Halo games. You couldn't possibly have a single antagonist across all of them. Just because Halo 5 focused on Cortana doesn't mean other villains like the Gravemind or Didact will be more prominent later on. This is a very big series they're trying to make. I mean IMO they are going to do a redemption arc with Cortana and that's probably going to mean she is a lot weaker. Otherwise the Chief has an army of Prometheans following him....
They have said they want to do 20 years of Halo games. You couldn't possibly have a single antagonist across all of them. Just because Halo 5 focused on Cortana doesn't mean other villains like the Gravemind or Didact will be more prominent later on. This is a very big series they're trying to make. I mean IMO they are going to do a redemption arc with Cortana and that's probably going to mean she is a lot weaker. Otherwise the Chief has an army of Prometheans following him....
Of course you don't have a single villain for a franchise. But I had assumed and I think the original plan was to have the Didact as the main villain or in their own words Nemesis for the Reclaimer trilogy, though apparently now it's a saga. He probably would have eventually been defeated and killed off in Halo 6. Like the Librarians plan for Humanity to claim the Janus Key and the Mantle, Bungie laid the foundation for the Didact and Librarian story arc and like Cortana taking the Mantle and giving it to A.I.'s so too did 343 take the story and give it over to Cortana and the Created story arc, instead of the returning extra-galactic Forerunner survivors. This is just my opinion however. I respect your opinion on the matter and do not concede that I am 100% right. But I do think I'm close 😁.
If they had not done the last part of Escalation and The Next 72 Hours and revealed the Didact as the primary antagonist of Halo 5, I'd have loved it. Using rampant Cortana shards to lure in John in, keep him unfocused and off-balance in order to seal him away in a Cryptum (as a twisted gesture of respect as a Warrior) only to be released in 1,000 years and meditate upon the enormity of his failure.

Chief still goes after Cortana. He thinks that Cortana somehow survivied and may be behind the destruction of his enemies, only to find that his enemy has returned and plans to use the Guardians to subjugate the universe while he tunes what's left of the Halo array to eliminate humanity and send the Warden and a corrupted version of Cortana to act as the AI Messiah and lead the hunt for the Infinity, which has the potential to enter the Absolute Record due to its Forerunner engines and humanity had the Janus key.

Osiris throws a wrench in those plans and Chief/Blue Team are reunited with Halsey and must now focus on getting to the Absolute Record in order to directly challenge the Didact as the Reclaimers as Inheritors of The Mantle while Infinity has to jump around the galaxy to keep one step ahead of the forces chasing it while Blue/Osiris/Halsey must team with the Arbiter's forces as the rest of the UNSC forces have been crippled by the Guardians.

This ties the previous threads together while pushing the story forward. Tugs on heart strings of John. Sets up a more unified front to fight the Forerunner/AI forces and permits the return of the Flood to overwhelm the Didact's forces and show that constructs alone with never win the war against the Flood while making the Janus Key and Absolute Record as meaningful Chekhov's Guns rather than throw-away MacGuffins.
ODST 5723 Exactly. That's basically what Halo 5 should have been. In fact, I have or had a theory that Halo 5's Cortana isn't actually Cortana but rather a ruse by the Didact to lure John and Blue Team to a Cryptum while trying to get the bulk of UNSC A.I.'s over to his cause after seeing how much of a liability they could be firsthand in Halo 4. But, since Tales from Slipspace is Canon now jus
ODST 5723 Exactly. That's basically what Halo 5 should have been. In fact, I have or had a theory that Halo 5's Cortana isn't actually Cortana but rather a ruse by the Didact to lure John and Blue Team to a Cryptum while trying to get the bulk of UNSC A.I.'s over to his cause after seeing how much of a liability they could be firsthand in Halo 4. But, since Tales from Slipspace is Canon now jus
You're in good company, a loooooot of folks wanted and thought this... even Haruspis says in his review that up until Mission 14 of the campaign he was still half expecting the Didact to pop out and reveal himself as having been controlling (or even just straight up masquerading as) Cortana. I could have dealt with that.

Like you said though, unfortunately now Tales from Slipspace has made that MUCH harder to believe. Almost feels like Frankie went out of his way to burn that bridge by writing the story.
I was about to reply, but then I realized I forgot how the Didact "died".
  1. 1
  2. ...
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. ...
  9. 9