Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why was the UNSC so concerned about catching Chief

OP JJAB91

In Halo 5, why was bringing back Chief so -Yoink- important? Sure he was AWOL but they make it sound like they HAVE TO GET HIM otherwise everyone is doomed!

...why? I already addressed how insane this whole thing is but thats besides the point. At no point however in all of Halo 5's campaign was it ever mentioned why this was so important. Who cares if hes going to get Cortana? All we get is a few lines from Halsey from an exchange between her, Lasky and Palmer of: "What? No. John must not speak to her" and "John is not equipped emotionally to deal with her as a threat-". Thats it, thats all the info we get. Mind you this is coming from Halsey a person who the UNSC doesn't trust very much all while in the same room AS A WOMAN WHO SHOT AT HER AND WANTED HER DEAD ONLY A MONTH EARLIER.(And is somehow ok with her now for some reason?...) Why is all this force, all this effort put into getting John back when they have practically no information? All on the word of one woman? For -Yoink-'s sake they enter the middle of a raging warzone and purposely awaken a guardian all for this without the reason ever really being given. For all they know John could be going to get Cortana to take her to a nice restaurant. Why the hell isn't this articulated to the player?
Because 343i's creative team is bankrupt, and they let a comic book hack job be in charge of writing the story.
Because 343i's creative team is bankrupt, and they let a comic book hack job be in charge of writing the story.
Right, because he's the only writer at 343i. I don't deny that the story wasn't good, but blaming its shortcomings on a single writer is absurd when there were clearly a rather large team working on Halo 5's story.

More than that, it's against the rules on Waypoint to single out employees at 343i.
Because 343i's creative team is bankrupt, and they let a comic book hack job be in charge of writing the story.
Right, because he's the only writer at 343i. I don't deny that the story wasn't good, but blaming its shortcomings on a single writer is absurd when there were clearly a rather large team working on Halo 5's story.

More than that, it's against the rules on Waypoint to single out employees at 343i.
Brian Reed's job is lead writer, what his team comes up with is his responsibility. Thats his job.

Look, I have nothing against him as a person I'm sure he is a great guy but as a writer his work simply does not work with Halo. Why he was made lead writer for Halo 5 I will never know considering his previous work in the Halo series was Initation, Spartan Ops and The Next 72 Hours all works that are widely regarded to have subpar writing and story.
JJAB91 wrote:
At no point however in all of Halo 5's campaign was it ever mentioned why this was so important. Who cares if hes going to get Cortana? All we get is a few lines from Halsey from an exchange between her, Lasky and Palmer of: "What? No. John must not speak to her" and "John is not equipped emotionally to deal with her as a threat-". Thats it, thats all the info we get.
Well according to Halo 4, Spartans were considered somewhat unstable and experienced sociopathic tendencies, so Halsey provided the AI to help maintain their efficiency. The Master Chief formed a tight bond with Cortana and appeared to be coming a little undone when she died. Halsey may have been worried that John's loyalty to Cortana would mean that he'd be tempted to side with her. There was no guarantee this would happen, and clearly it didn't, but the possibility had them worried and so Osiris was ordered to bring him back.

JJAB91 wrote:
AS A WOMAN WHO SHOT AT HER AND WANTED HER DEAD ONLY A MONTH EARLIER.(And is somehow ok with her now for some reason?...)
I don't understand this complaint. People hated the fact Palmer was such a -Yoink- in Spartan Ops, particularly to Halsey, so 343i tones her down in Halo 5 and people now complain because she's not being a -Yoink-? What the hell is wrong with everybody? You're not happy when characters treat Halsey like crap, and then you're not happy when they don't. It's not like Halsey and Palmer were friends, happily holding hands and skipping through a meadow or something. They just toned her down because fans didn't like her attitude in the last game. It's as simple as that.

JJAB91 wrote:
For -Yoink-'s sake they enter the middle of a raging warzone and purposely awaken a guardian all for this without the reason ever really being given.
The Guardians were being called to Cortana and they were able to find one that hadn't been activated yet, so they wanted to take control of it and feed it instructions so that it would take them to where Cortana took the Chief. They had to fight the Covenant to get to it though because they were entrenched at its location. What's not to get here?
JJAB91 wrote:
Because 343i's creative team is bankrupt, and they let a comic book hack job be in charge of writing the story.
Right, because he's the only writer at 343i. I don't deny that the story wasn't good, but blaming its shortcomings on a single writer is absurd when there were clearly a rather large team working on Halo 5's story.

More than that, it's against the rules on Waypoint to single out employees at 343i.
Brian Reed's job is lead writer, what his team comes up with is his responsibility. Thats his job.

Look, I have nothing against him as a person I'm sure he is a great guy but as a writer his work simply does not work with Halo. Why he was made lead writer for Halo 5 I will never know considering his previous work in the Halo series was Initation, Spartan Ops and The Next 72 Hours all works that are widely regarded to have subpar writing and story.
Why is this turning into "Let's talk about Brian Reed"?

Your thread raises a perfectly good question, but if you want to derail your own thread and start a circle jerk about how Brian Reed is a bad writer because I said something neutral and fair be my guest.
A rogue Spartan II team in the middle of unknown colony mass destruction and extremely unstable outer colony connections chasing after a dead AI confirmed by a civilian scientist who has been working with the UNSC's number one enemy for the last month?

Not a problem?
Yeah, the entire reasoning behind Chief needing to be pursued was incredibly contrived. I mean, even if he was compromised (which he never even came close to being), so what? Cortana controls dozens of solar system destroying Guardians, why would the UNSC be particularly concerned with Chief? It's not like a Cortana controlled Chief would have actually changed anything or even benefited Cortana in any way. Besides, it was clear right from the get go that Chief intended on stopping Cortana, so why the UNSC would waste resources to try and stop him from doing the same thing Osiris was trying to do (or should have been focusing on doing instead of pursuing Blue Team) was just ridiculous.
I don't understand this complaint. People hated the fact Palmer was such a -Yoink- in Spartan Ops, particularly to Halsey, so 343i tones her down in Halo 5 and people now complain because she's not being a -Yoink-? What the hell is wrong with everybody? You're not happy when characters treat Halsey like crap, and then you're not happy when they don't. It's not like Halsey and Palmer were friends, happily holding hands and skipping through a meadow or something. They just toned her down because fans didn't like her attitude in the last game. It's as simple as that.
Because the plot thread was already started. Yeah Palmer's hate boner for Halsey was dumb because it came out of nowhere and still has never been explained but once its started commit to it. Don't start that -Yoink- and then end Spartan Ops on it only to abandon it in the next installment, thats ridiculous. Thats as if 343i saw how poorly received the Created storyarc is so in Halo 6 they got rid of it. Thats not how this works, once you start something you can't just dump it that only makes it even worse.
JJAB91 wrote:
Because 343i's creative team is bankrupt, and they let a comic book hack job be in charge of writing the story.
Right, because he's the only writer at 343i. I don't deny that the story wasn't good, but blaming its shortcomings on a single writer is absurd when there were clearly a rather large team working on Halo 5's story.

More than that, it's against the rules on Waypoint to single out employees at 343i.
Brian Reed's job is lead writer, what his team comes up with is his responsibility. Thats his job.

Look, I have nothing against him as a person I'm sure he is a great guy but as a writer his work simply does not work with Halo. Why he was made lead writer for Halo 5 I will never know considering his previous work in the Halo series was Initation, Spartan Ops and The Next 72 Hours all works that are widely regarded to have subpar writing and story.
Why is this turning into "Let's talk about Brian Reed"?

Your thread raises a perfectly good question, but if you want to derail your own thread and start a circle jerk about how Brian Reed is a bad writer because I said something neutral and fair be my guest.
I'm not derailing my thread I'm simply replying to your comment. Thats what happens when you say something people tend to reply back.
JJAB91 wrote:
Because the plot thread was already started. Yeah Palmer's hate boner for Halsey was dumb because it came out of nowhere and still has never been explained but once its started commit to it. Don't start that -Yoink- and then end Spartan Ops on it only to abandon it in the next installment, thats ridiculous. Thats as if 343i saw how poorly received the Created storyarc is so in Halo 6 they got rid of it. Thats not how this works, once you start something you can't just dump it that only makes it even worse.
They didn't abandon it, it's just not as prominent as it was before. We don't need to hear her trash talk Halsey, or see her point her sidearm at her every 5 seconds to know what she thinks of her. I mean, people complained that Kilo-Five persisted with the Halsey hate in every single book. Are you telling me that was ok because Travis "commited" to it? Travis comits to Halsey bashing: hate her. 343i tones down Halsey bashing: hate them.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
JJAB91 wrote:
Because the plot thread was already started. Yeah Palmer's hate boner for Halsey was dumb because it came out of nowhere and still has never been explained but once its started commit to it. Don't start that -Yoink- and then end Spartan Ops on it only to abandon it in the next installment, thats ridiculous. Thats as if 343i saw how poorly received the Created storyarc is so in Halo 6 they got rid of it. Thats not how this works, once you start something you can't just dump it that only makes it even worse.
They didn't abandon it, it's just not as prominent as it was before. We don't need to hear her trash talk Halsey, or see her point her sidearm at her every 5 seconds to know what she thinks of her. I mean, people complained that Kilo-Five persisted with the Halsey hate in every single book. Are you telling me that was ok because Travis "commited" to it? Travis comits to Halsey bashing: hate her. 343i tones down Halsey bashing: hate them.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Ok then, if they didn't abandon it then where is it? Where is the Palmer that wanted Halsey dead less than a month before?
JJAB91 wrote:
Ok then, if they didn't abandon it then where is it? Where is the Palmer that wanted Halsey dead less than a month before?
Hmm... let's see. There is a very serious threat which is destroying UNSC colonies and threatening the known Galaxy. Halsey is the only one who really knows anything about it and she contacted the UNSC weeks ago to warn them. If Palmer is ordered to back down because they need Halsey, regardless of her own opinion, she would do it. And no, don't give me that crap about Palmer not listening to Lasky when he ordered her to back down in Spartan Ops because she was carrying out orders given by a Vice Admiral which supersedes his authority. And no, don't give me that crap about the order being given to Lasky and not Palmer. Lasky is the Captain of a UNSC starship and he was ordered to use the assets, including Palmer, at his command to carry out the mission. He was choosing to disobey a direct order and she was ignoring him in order to ensure the mission would be carried out and Lasky wouldn't be given a court martial.

So Palmer wanted to carry out the order but failed the first time, so she tried again several more times. However, Halsey willingly turned herself over to the UNSC and is now actively helping them on this project. Palmer would obey the orders of the Admiralty if the the original orders were rescinded. That doesn't mean she still doesn't hate Halsey, but we don't need to see her verbally assault or push her around to know this.
JJAB91 wrote:
Ok then, if they didn't abandon it then where is it? Where is the Palmer that wanted Halsey dead less than a month before?
Hmm... let's see. There is a very serious threat which is destroying UNSC colonies and threatening the known Galaxy. Halsey is the only one who really knows anything about it and she contacted the UNSC weeks ago to warn them. If Palmer is ordered to back down because they need Halsey, regardless of her own opinion, she would do it. And no, don't give me that crap about Palmer not listening to Lasky when he ordered her to back down in Spartan Ops because she was carrying out orders given by a Vice Admiral which supersedes his authority. And no, don't give me that crap about the order being given to Lasky and not Palmer. Lasky is the Captain of a UNSC starship and he was ordered to use the assets, including Palmer, at his command to carry out the mission. He was choosing to disobey a direct order and she was ignoring him in order to ensure the mission would be carried out and Lasky wouldn't be given a court martial.

So Palmer wanted to carry out the order but failed the first time, so she tried again several more times. However, Halsey willingly turned herself over to the UNSC and is now actively helping them on this project. Palmer would obey the orders of the Admiralty if the the original orders were rescinded. That doesn't mean she still doesn't hate Halsey, but we don't need to see her verbally assault or push her around to know this.
You didn't answer my question. Where is it? You're just listing off reasons why its NOT there when earlier you said it still was. The thing is yeah that is all true but only because the game was written that way. Whats the point of starting the Halsey-Palmer hate thread in the first place with Spartan Ops and then Escalation only to get rid of it in Halo 5? Why write Halo 5 that way?
JJAB91 wrote:
JJAB91 wrote:
Ok then, if they didn't abandon it then where is it? Where is the Palmer that wanted Halsey dead less than a month before?
Hmm... let's see. There is a very serious threat which is destroying UNSC colonies and threatening the known Galaxy. Halsey is the only one who really knows anything about it and she contacted the UNSC weeks ago to warn them. If Palmer is ordered to back down because they need Halsey, regardless of her own opinion, she would do it. And no, don't give me that crap about Palmer not listening to Lasky when he ordered her to back down in Spartan Ops because she was carrying out orders given by a Vice Admiral which supersedes his authority. And no, don't give me that crap about the order being given to Lasky and not Palmer. Lasky is the Captain of a UNSC starship and he was ordered to use the assets, including Palmer, at his command to carry out the mission. He was choosing to disobey a direct order and she was ignoring him in order to ensure the mission would be carried out and Lasky wouldn't be given a court martial.

So Palmer wanted to carry out the order but failed the first time, so she tried again several more times. However, Halsey willingly turned herself over to the UNSC and is now actively helping them on this project. Palmer would obey the orders of the Admiralty if the the original orders were rescinded. That doesn't mean she still doesn't hate Halsey, but we don't need to see her verbally assault or push her around to know this.
You didn't answer my question. Where is it? You're just listing off reasons why its NOT there when earlier you said it still was. The thing is yeah that is all true but only because the game was written that way. Whats the point of starting the Halsey-Palmer hate thread in the first place with Spartan Ops and then Escalation only to get rid of it in Halo 5? Why write Halo 5 that way?
I think his point is that the situation on the forums changed, forcing Halsey and Palmer to work together.

We also didn't see much meningful dialog between the two, so I'm not sure that animosity isn't there. Palmer probably still considers Halsey a war criminal, but perhaps certain unseen events helped change her mind about her as a person (ie not devil spawn)
The UNSC wanting to recover Chief after he goes AWOL doesn't bug me, but I can see how the marketing really plays up how serious his offense while the final product is fairly lackluster. What worries me that Chief upon getting a vision of Cortana just drops everything and goes after her without really any plan to speak of. When Locke runs into Chief again and says that they should work together, I felt that would have made more sense from the start. The UNSC didn't really seem to care Chief was going on non-stop missions or essentially allowing him free reign prior, so now all of the sudden when Cortana pops back up they want to pull him out? I get Halsey's logic, but if anyone was capable of talking down Cortana, it'd probably be Chief. Everything just seems so contrived.
List of reasons
  1. They are Spartan IIs, after all the training and propaganda you cant allow any negative view on the program to come out, Blue team landing on Meridian would normally have raised questions but most of the colonists died which in a way is lucky for ONI.
  2. If they died and nobody knew where they were anybody could gain access to both the armour and augmentations they have
  3. Cortana is an ally of Chiefs, due to his mental state they were probably worried she would trick him. (This is the same guy who was tricked by both 343 and the gravemind multiple times in the original trilogy)
  4. Halsey states that chief isn't emotionally capable of dealing with her which is true, Blue team constantly tell Chief that his plan wont work yet he doesn't even acknowledge them, he remains naive that he can convince her and doesn't consider any other option, this leads to his own capture.
  5. Cortana wont physically harm chief and Blue team intentionally, if the UNSC have them that gives them an extra card to play against Cortana. (Hypothetical scenario, shut down the Guardians or we kill chief)
  6. He disobeyed an order and thus was deemed AWOL, the UNSC would use similar measures if it was any other UNSC personal.
  7. If Osiris didn't Hunt down Blue team they would still be trapped in a Forerunner Cryptum and the UNSC would have lost the only person capable of trying to reason with Cortana.
As stupid as it all was the UNSCs reasoning is solid, the unsolid part is the execution provided by 343.

Its also important to know that the UNSC or ONI would never of been able to predict the events of Halo 5, thus extreme measures would need to have been taken as a just in case scenario.
JJAB91 wrote:
You didn't answer my question. Where is it? You're just listing off reasons why its NOT there when earlier you said it still was. The thing is yeah that is all true but only because the game was written that way. Whats the point of starting the Halsey-Palmer hate thread in the first place with Spartan Ops and then Escalation only to get rid of it in Halo 5? Why write Halo 5 that way?
"Spartan Locke. I have spent enough years with ONI to know the truth. Once this is over, after all I have done, they'll order you to kill us both."

The danger to Halsey's life is definitely still real, it's just been postponed because of the larger threat. But "once this is over" as Halsey puts it, ONI will once again choose to finish what they started and silence her once and for all.
JJAB91 wrote:
AS A WOMAN WHO SHOT AT HER AND WANTED HER DEAD ONLY A MONTH EARLIER.(And is somehow ok with her now for some reason?...)
I don't understand this complaint. People hated the fact Palmer was such a -Yoink- in Spartan Ops, particularly to Halsey, so 343i tones her down in Halo 5 and people now complain because she's not being a -Yoink-? What the hell is wrong with everybody? You're not happy when characters treat Halsey like crap, and then you're not happy when they don't. It's not like Halsey and Palmer were friends, happily holding hands and skipping through a meadow or something. They just toned her down because fans didn't like her attitude in the last game. It's as simple as that.
Some people's kids man, some people's kids.
JSA343 wrote:
A rogue Spartan II team in the middle of unknown colony mass destruction and extremely unstable outer colony connections chasing after a dead AI confirmed by a civilian scientist who has been working with the UNSC's number one enemy for the last month?

Not a problem?
And the last Time he was perceived to be AWOL, it wasn't good.