Forums / Community / Halo Universe

Why wasn't AI used to pilot Spartan suits instead?

OP M0ckingDrag0n

Is there a reason why AI wasn't used to pilot Spartan armor?
They would have to be destroyed after seven years plus who would want to deal with a AI in very powerful armor who is going rampant.
Rampancy, and the fact that it is armor, not a robot. The AI in the suits can enhance the abilities of the person in the suit, but can't control it without their cooperation.
Cost.
Smart AIs were very expensive, moreso than one Spartan 2 operative, and were more useful for other tasks that AIs specialize in.
Dumb AIs could have been doable but I don't think they would have been better fighters than the Spartans.
EvilKeny28 wrote:
Cost.
Smart AIs were very expensive, moreso than one Spartan 2 operative, and were more useful for other tasks that AIs specialize in.
Dumb AIs could have been doable but I don't think they would have been better fighters than the Spartans.
Pretty much this exactly. Dumb AIs wouldn't be able to think on the fly or have the instinct required. I also wouldn't want a program in charge of how/when my limbs move. "Protocol dictates..." I don't care if protocol says turn left, man. It's like in SciFi movies where the driver takes control of self-driving vehicles. Just... let me do it.
All the above answers are completely accurate. Just to add my two cents here:

My question would be, why have bipedal suits of armor controlled by AIs at all? They don't have physical bodies, so they don't need to be in the shape of a person.

My question would be, why have bipedal suits of armor controlled by AIs at all? They don't have physical bodies, so they don't need to be in the shape of a person.
Would certainly save on cost as well. Let the AI operate something like a readily avalible Wombat drone.
To know the Lore is to know Halo
"Dont be spoiled, dont start a fight. Always be careful, here at night. Because the Spartans might come, in suits that weigh half a ton. And they'll steal from you all you gots, just like they did from Colonel Watts."
They would have to be destroyed after seven years plus who would want to deal with a AI in very powerful armor who is going rampant.
Only Smart AIs. Dumb AIs would have a much longer lifespan, but not as creative as a Human or Smart AI. And most Humans last longer than 7 years.

I like how you thought out of the box. Allthough the concept feels like it belongs in other scifi things and not in halo...... unless its in forunner machines, like a new kind of tank. Heck how about a straight up guardian
Cybermat47 wrote:
Only Smart AIs. Dumb AIs would have a much longer lifespan, but not as creative as a Human or Smart AI. And most Humans last longer than 7 years.
But dumb AI wouldn't have been as good if the UNSC had used AI to pilot Spartan armor.
Adding my thoughts in addition to the great ideas above. My understanding is that humanity did not want AI to ever exceed humanity in terms of capability, so AI were always created with the idea of assisting humans, as powerful as they may be. If an AI was able to essentially be a Spartan, he/she would be way too overpowered.
AI’s deteriorate after 7 years and their super soldiers would have to deal with that, also they wanted Spartans to be in control of themselves.
Halo is definitely a sci-fi universe where people value direct action over automation. It might be anachronistic with our current trend towards automation, but a) they're still using projectile weapons in the 26th century, so some level of anachronism is built in, and b) they still automate a lot and have AI-assisted tasks almost everywhere, it's just less in direct combat roles.

The value of a smart AI running something like a warship or coordinating a battle group is worth far more than AIs running a bunch of suits of armor. If dumb AIs could assume those tasks (which I don't think they can, given that they generally are treated like super-smart savants in their chosen area and then are inflexible in every other way) they would come with additional disadvantages compared to flesh-and-blood soldiers.
Both are extremely expensive to make, also it wouldnt be the best allocation of resources, since you are suggesting a smart AI which can quicker learn and adapt that the dumb AI which is more ir less programmed to do one task well. Also every 7 years you will need a new pilot, while you current one slips into madness. Not great if it's in a suit that can punch a hole into titanium.